Raced an evo tonight - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Raced an evo tonight within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ok guys dont worry, i test drove an evo today and i have stage 2 and the evo handles and ...

ok guys dont worry, i test drove an evo today and i have stage 2 and the evo handles and brakes way better but in a straight line my stage 2 wrx has more power then the evo, my friend who also drove both cars confirmed it, so this guy must not of been able to drive, or the evo was modded.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Dyno shop i go to is well known for DSMs. One of the guys at teh shop has a new EVO. I was there when they dynoed it stock. It laid down 23Xawhp on a Dynojet.
    FS: 02 WRX with JDM V7 RA-C

ok, i know it was an evo, i talked to the guy after the race. And what the hell i know how to drive. I'm just saying it sounded like a blow off valve when he shifted. It must have been modded because it pulled really hard on me. I'll have to find another one and race it, i'll let you know when i do.

Dynojet VS Dyno Dynamics...

VERY VERY VERY diffrent

Dynojet inertia dynometers rely on inertia to determine power. Dyno Dynamics actually provide a real load.

Discrepencies can be 40 HP or more of each other

In this case Wheel HP does not equal Wheel HP...
    VS1/TXSII Hybrid (RIP)

Me: I hit a highway divider at 120...
    Stupid Cousin: Is that a bad thing?

You're probably right in thinking that it was modified. I would think that a TurboXS stage 2 car would have equal or better acceleration than a stock EVO.
    2002 WRX WRB

were you in 3rd gear? Just kidding.

Hope you do better on the next run.

Sounds like a good kill for him.

Nice Death
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

BTW - what's TurboXS Stage Two rated for crank and wheel HP? Would like to know abouts what I'm running for my stage two

its at about 230 whp. I started in 2nd dont worry. I really thought it would be closer than that, but when looking at other posts and seeing some of the stock quarter mile times and trap speeds, I guess it might be possible. He did get a better start on me, because he was honking, so he got a jump of about half a car length. I'm going to stick to saying it was modded, I'll feel better that way.

Originally posted by N8DOGG
    its at about 230 whp. I started in 2nd dont worry. I really thought it would be closer than that, but when looking at other posts and seeing some of the stock quarter mile times and trap speeds, I guess it might be possible. He did get a better start on me, because he was honking, so he got a jump of about half a car length. I'm going to stick to saying it was modded, I'll feel better that way.
    I'm with you on all accounts. I wonder how much power that evo has?

"I want stage 2!"

raced another one

OK, well in order to confirm my loss i went out and found another evo, there are a lot of them out here already! I was driving and it pulled up behind me. He tried to pass me on a two lane road twice, the first time i sped up and denied him, but then he flew past me. So i follow him so i can see what this car is all about. We raced a couple times, all from a roll. The first time from about 40 again, except this time we started at the exact same time. I stayed with him through second, and then at third, he slowly started pulling. I then had to shift into forth, but i never saw him shift into forth, so they must have longer gear ratios than our cars. I raced him again from about 60 with the same result. I am really impressed with this car. It looks like its time to uprade the turbo and take one out!

I am not the least bit surprised that an Evo VIII could take a TurboXS Stage 2 WRX. Why is anybody else?

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    I am not the least bit surprised that an Evo VIII could take a TurboXS Stage 2 WRX. Why is anybody else?

-Jim
    Because a TurboXS stage 2 WRX is supposed to have more horsepower ("approx 309 hp" per the TurboXS web site) than the Evo and because it weighs less than the Evo.
    2002 WRX WRB

Originally posted by Rich10
    Because a TurboXS stage 2 WRX is supposed to have more horsepower ("approx 309 hp" per the TurboXS web site) than the Evo and because it weighs less than the Evo.
    Better gearing?... bigger turbo?.. faster spool up? Lets not forget the EVO putting down ~230AWHP does not equate to 271 crank HP. It puts it at about ~320 crank HP, which is what a stock 2nd gen. VR-4 puts out (which puts about ~240AWHP) @ about 25% drivetrain loss.

Originally posted by boostyle
    Better gearing?... bigger turbo?.. faster spool up? Lets not forget the EVO putting down ~230AWHP does not equate to 271 crank HP. It puts it at about ~320 crank HP, which is what a stock 2nd gen. VR-4 puts out (which puts about ~240AWHP) @ about 25% drivetrain loss.
    According to http://mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/jsp/evo/tech.jsp

The Evo VIII weighs 3263-3298lbs. at the curb, has 19.0psi available at 3500rpm, and 16.2psi available at 6500rpm. For this reason, peak torque (273 lb-ft.) is available from 3500rpm, with maximum HP (271BHP) arriving at 6500rpm.

The 4G63 running 8.8:1 compression is probably making more than 271HP at the crank. Plus the gear ratios are probably better suited to the powerband.

-Jim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.