has the WRX been compared to a 96-99 BMW M3?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on has the WRX been compared to a 96-99 BMW M3? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; just wondering?? i did a search,,and couldnt find anything im just trying to compare the 2,,considering i plan on spending ...

has the WRX been compared to a 96-99 BMW M3?

just wondering??
    i did a search,,and couldnt find anything

im just trying to compare the 2,,considering i plan on spending about 22-25,000 $$ on my next car

now that can buy a WRX,,not a STI,,
    or can buy hopefully a nice used low mileage 97-98 M3 5 speed

now the M3 will prob have 40,000-60,000 miles on it ,,

now on my next car,,i dont really plan to do much to it,,since i will b almost maxing out all my money ,,
    so i wont have too much money to put into the car

i think all i would do to the M3 is tint the windows,,and clears on the front,,and the half red,,clear tails on,,and b happy,,cuz it allready sits nice,,,
    also,,i would have to wait for a nice one to come along,,and go over the things,,thats u all say to check out,

,,or there is the WRX,,,no miles,,brand new
    prob just a couple tenths slower stock then a used M3

but i hate how high it is,,
    so i would like to lower it,,tint it,,and rims,,and put clears up front,,and then b happy(maybe a BOV for some sound)
    im just really stuck on if i should buy a used M3,,or new WRX,,,non STI

if any of u can help me that would b great,,compare them,,esp if u have drove a WRX,,and own a 96-99 M3

also,,i think i will prob get a 2 door,,i was considering a 4 door,,,,but im leaning towards a 2 door,,cuz it just looks better to me,,is a tad lighter,,and its not too hard to buckly my daughter in the back seat threw the front seat,(i only get her every other weekend,,u know how divorce is)

thanks mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All up to you my man. Can't go wrong with either one. I was stuck in the same place as you are. I wanted a 350Z but opted for the four door WRX. My lil boy changed my decision and I like the extra room.
    Dom
    03 Platinum Silver WRX

Im not sure if you are a speed junkie or not, but i routinely walk my friends 99 M3 in my bone-stock-cept-for-a-shift-light WRX. Also i know you said you have little $$$ left over for mods, but that litle money will get you alot further in the WRX...

...again, i know, all this depends on weather or not you like to cruise and chill...or you have an unsatiable desire to out accelerate anything you see...I fall into chioce B and bought a WRX 2 weeks ago.

i like speed,,qtr mile times are what count to me
    i wanna b able to know i have what it takes under the hood ,,to take a car on the street,,,or just b happy,,cuz a guy in a WS6 T/A is side by side with me,,in a nice lil race

i have seen the price of aftermarket stuff for the BMW

the exhaust can b about 1000$$$

i used to have a GSR integra,,modded,,
    i have been a honda guy all my life

but now im almost 25,
    i wanted to try and get out of modded my car,,but i think its gonna b hard,,,
    thats the reason i was gonna go M3
    it sits just right stock,,just tint the windows,,and its a 14 sec car stock

,,but im sure the mod bug will get me,,like always

i know i dont like any more wheel gap then 2-3 fingers
    ,,,and i need not b seen driving my car,,so i need tints,,

well keep the comments coming,
    i got a couple months

when will the redesigned WRXs come out??

i think everyone is waiting on them

a local dealer has about 40 WRX's
    most are set at MSRP

thanks mike

jt2
    I'm not going to try to address all of your individual points because, quite frankly, it hurts my head to read your writing. Not a flame, but this isn’t IM here – if you want people to take the time to respond you should show them respect by taking the time to write properly if you can. </rant>

I had a ’97 M3 sedan, and sold it because I ordered a new M5. Long story short, I decided to cancel the order on the M5 because the markets are still hosed, and the M5 is getting long in the tooth. I let the deposit ride on the M5 to see what the next generation looks like.

In the mean time, I needed a driver and bought a WRX as a hold-me-over. Stock, the WRX is quicker, IMO. The M3 has it all over for comfort, handling, luxury and image. It is also built better, and feels more solid. Slam the door or trunk on both of the cars for a good exhibit of the difference between the cars. That being said, the Subaru has excellent build quality – it’s just no BMW.

On mods, it is no comparison. Expect to pay twice as much for parts for the M3, and get (sometimes less than) half the results. For a few thousand dollars, you can turn the WRX into a serious performance car. I liked my M3 a lot, but all in all, I like the WRX better.

Another thing to consider is maintenance. You’re comparing a car that is 4-6 years old with 50+ thousand miles on it to a new car. Expect to fix things like rear suspension bushings, brakes, etc. should you get the BMW. They can get expensive to maintain.

JT

I love E36 M3's, I really wanted one before I got my WRX. They are about 5 times as pimp as a WRX, that's for sure. I bought the WRX because of the potential, it's a new car, and decent M3 would have cost me about $30K back in the summer of 2001. Matinence and repairs is also much more expensive, both in parts and labor, and you will be doing and paying for more maintinece on a used car.

Though, I would certainly suggest the M3, if that's what you really want.

If you do go with a WRX, a few pointers:

- You can get a '04, RIGHT NOW.....NOW! Do it. Once everybody sees the new style, the value of the bugeyes will fall. It is a more apealing car, that's for sure.

- You should be able to get a '04 for under MSRP no problem, shop around. Try for $23000 with no extras.

- Plan on modifying it, you MUST do several basic mods:

Lowering - Prodrive springs $250 + GOOD ALIGNMENT!
    Tint - $200
    Catback/muffler - $300-$500 (plus up/down pipes eventually)
    Short shifter - $120+
    Cobb ecu reflash - $400
    Rear sway bar: $120
    Rota wheels with some decent tires, $900

All that stuff makes for a very well rounded car, at a good bang for the buck. That's about $2000, but you don't have to do it all at once. These are MUST DO mods - without these mods, the car is signifigantly less capable than an M3.

Kevin

how can u get a 04 WRX now??
    be put on a list???

besides the redesign..what are the differences??

a local dealership has about 40 WRX's in stock,
    they r all 03 though,
    i didnt know u could get the 04's now??
    any new colors for 04??

also,,what kinda time would a full turbo back exhaust,,reflashed ecu...and intake WRX run???

i know they run about 14.2 or so stock

just wondering if anyone has just those basic mods,,and what they may b runnin??

is cobb the best to reflash the ecu??
    i heard saw someone talkin about a unichip or something??
    explaine that

what can make the WRX a low 13 second car?

thanks mike

jt2
    Originally posted by MJW7800
    how can u get a 04 WRX now??
    u kant!! unles u gotza tim machn!!!

be put on a list???
    OK!!!!! u b put ona list!!!!

besides the redesign..what are the differences??
    bsidz the rdesgn… nun!!!!

also,,what kinda time would a full turbo back exhaust,,reflashed ecu...and intake WRX run???
    it depenz n whut tim zon yur in!!! i runz pcfic tim!!! wht abt u???

i heard saw someone talkin about a unichip or something??
    explaine that
    whch izit dude didja sawem or herdm??? If itz a unichip r smthn, gofr th unicp!!! cuz i nevr herd uv asmthn chip!!!

what can make the WRX a low 13 second car?
    partz,,, lotza partz ukan git thm fm lotza plcz!!!

thanks mike
    wy r u thnkn mike???

Originally posted by swipe112

One last side note.....since the M3 model has changed, it may look more outdated as the new M3's become more common. A newer WRX model isn't due til 2005 or so.

Either way, you can't lose
    not an attack here, but im really not sure where the heck youve been. the redesign is already on our shores. though it is not a very drastic change over all, it is a change.

back to the matter at hand. id take a wrx, the m3's are nice, but look dated, and are more rare to be seen, (well at least where I am) i thought about an older m3 for a little bit compared to the wrx. i havent driven one, so i can not comment there, drive both and see what suites you
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Originally posted by ebr0t
    not an attack here, but im really not sure where the heck youve been. the redesign is already on our shores. though it is not a very drastic change over all, it is a change.

back to the matter at hand. id take a wrx, the m3's are nice, but look dated, and are more rare to be seen, (well at least where I am) i thought about an older m3 for a little bit compared to the wrx. i havent driven one, so i can not comment there, drive both and see what suites you

I know the front and rear has been redesigned for '04. I was actually referring to the fact that a totally new design for the Impreza is already in the pipe line's for subaru. In case you didn't notice, our current body style has already been in Japan for years. It's only a matter of time til a revision.

I know the front and rear has been redesigned for '04. I was actually referring to the fact that a totally new design for the Impreza is already in the pipe line's for subaru. In case you didn't notice, our current body style has already been in Japan for years. It's only a matter of time til a revision.

ah, gotcha. my mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Actually, I think that the 04's are avaliable, jsut not the STi's Those are coming to the states in VERY limited quantities... i think the dealer I went to, Bill Cobb Jr., said that they were only making 600 a month, for the STi's... and thats split up for the whole US. But I did see the 04 in person, and besides a few cosmetic changes (lights, hood, sunroof, etc), it is the same as the 2k2 and 2k3's.

Ohhh, a little offtopic, but im looking into getting a WRX as well... and I'm looking at a nice used one with 15k miles. BUT, it has the Vishnu Stage 0 kit... Do you guys know if that would void the factory warranty... I would really like to get the car, but the notion that ive already voided the warranty really irks me... TIA

Uhh...bad news. I believe the VS0 comes with an Up-pipe, correct? From what I understand (someone correct me if I'm wrong), removing a stock cat is strictly ILLEGAL, thus voiding the warranty provided by Subaru. They might not notice it right away, but once they do, they'll be calling you to either pick up your car or pay an hefty sum.

2 solutions seem to be currently done:
    - install an OEM up-pipe back (pain in the ass)
    - gut your OEM up-pipe (dunno how safe this is)

either way, i'm in the same boat as you pal

I think having nothing more than a downpipe should remove that annoying lag.

E36 M3s, the 3.0 and 3.2 liter ones all have some long term problems. I used to have a Road and Track that listed them all, how to diagnose and what to look for. The main thing is to check for coolant in the oil (Some kinda seal) the VANOS head and the water impeller (it's plastic, sometimes seperates from the pump). Over-revved M3s sometiems pop up. 'sides from that and maybe an electrical glitch or two, they should kick ass. Very solid chassis.

I've been in an E46. Drive your car at 40mph down a road and that's the confidence you experience in an E46 M3 doing 110 mph on a moderately crowded freeway, in the rain.

You'll never see a valet driver running up to my car at a nice restaurant. While girls constantly comment on my roomates car, I've had people ask me,..."hey...is that a hyandai you got there?"
    Hey, I am one of those valet drivers, and I'd run up to either one of those cars Not quite as fast as I ran up to the viper acr we had in last night hehe...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.