Raced a Sleeper Integra
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Raced a Sleeper Integra within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; (mods in my sig)Yesterday I was just talking with a neighbor about cars n stuff when all the sudden he ...

Raced a Sleeper Integra

(mods in my sig)Yesterday I was just talking with a neighbor about cars n stuff when all the sudden he calls up a friend with a 94-97ish integra and asks me if i want to race him. I agree since i was bored and he kept saying it was fast and will probably beat me.

Anyways, i meet up with the integra guy and it looks pretty close to stock. It had a quiet but modified exhaust, a few small decals saying "team nemesis", type-R rims, stock height, could use a good wash & wax, nothing too flashy, but looked overall pretty normal for the cars around my area. we agree to race and he asks me how much i want to race for. i never raced for money before but i just say $40 and he says ok. So we go out to a nice commercial area with nobody there and just do it there. i put boost at 1.20 on the avcr (16.7psi)

first race i take him by about 1 carlength on the launch and expect to start pulling like crazy BUT he hangs on my ass the whole way to about a 1/4mile (i barely shifted into 4th when we stopped). that car surprised the hell out of me. i ask him what he did and he says nothing again, just intake. i get my 40 but he wants to race again just for kicks, and i agree again.

second race i take him by about half a carlength and we just go together again, i end up winning by about a few feet more than my launch advantage. one more race...

third race, i mess up my launch by slipping it too much. i think my intercooler is getting heatsoaked or my clutch is getting hot cuz my car didnt feel as fast and the launch wasnt as good for some reason. he pulls about half a hoodlength on me and slowly just inches ahead the whole race

fourth and final race, i pull again by about 1.5carlengths and end up winning by about 3-4 cars. i guess he messed up or something, but he didnt give up till the end

so i persuade him to pop his hood and i see an engine swap. it's probably an ls/vtec but i dont really know what that would look like. I just see a DOHC VTEC HONDA engine. i used to have a GSR before the wrx and it didnt look like my GSR engine. also there was very little clutter in his engine bay. it looked pretty roomy. i looked for a supercharger/turbocharger but there was nothing.

any idea what type of engine i raced? he wouldnt say. in fact he kept saying it's the stock engine but i know it wasnt since his integra was an ls, not a gsr. and i know he knows his **** since we talked about cars for another 20 minutes before we left

(btw: when he asked what i did i just kept it simple with "just exhaust and boost controller"... it's true i guess but it just makes it sound simpler than 'uppipe/downpipe/catback/samcos/avcr'. i also had about 100lbs of junk in the car backseat and trunk)

(OH AND: he wants to race again next week once he does a tuneup. he says it was running bad, lol. hopefully by next week i can tune my UTEC properly i'll write again if we race. depending on how i feel im running i might up it to $100 if he would)
    2003 WRBlue Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan
    For Go: APEX'i AVC-R, Godspeed Uppipe, Samco IC Hoses
    For Show: JUN Eyelids, Clear Side-Markers, Momo RaceAir Shift Knob
    For Handling: Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Cusco Rear Sway Bar

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Raced a Sleeper Integra

Originally posted by JimDab
    (mods in my sig)Yesterday I was just talking with a neighbor about cars n stuff when all the sudden he calls up a friend with a 94-97ish integra and asks me if i want to race him. I agree since i was bored and he kept saying it was fast and will probably beat me.

Anyways, i meet up with the integra guy and it looks pretty close to stock. It had a quiet but modified exhaust, a few small decals saying "team nemesis", type-R rims, stock height, could use a good wash & wax, nothing too flashy, but looked overall pretty normal for the cars around my area. we agree to race and he asks me how much i want to race for. i never raced for money before but i just say $40 and he says ok. So we go out to a nice commercial area with nobody there and just do it there. i put boost at 1.20 on the avcr (16.7psi)

first race i take him by about 1 carlength on the launch and expect to start pulling like crazy BUT he hangs on my ass the whole way to about a 1/4mile (i barely shifted into 4th when we stopped). that car surprised the hell out of me. i ask him what he did and he says nothing again, just intake. i get my 40 but he wants to race again just for kicks, and i agree again.

second race i take him by about half a carlength and we just go together again, i end up winning by about a few feet more than my launch advantage. one more race...

third race, i mess up my launch by slipping it too much. i think my intercooler is getting heatsoaked or my clutch is getting hot cuz my car didnt feel as fast and the launch wasnt as good for some reason. he pulls about half a hoodlength on me and slowly just inches ahead the whole race

fourth and final race, i pull again by about 1.5carlengths and end up winning by about 3-4 cars. i guess he messed up or something, but he didnt give up till the end

so i persuade him to pop his hood and i see an engine swap. it's probably an ls/vtec but i dont really know what that would look like. I just see a DOHC VTEC HONDA engine. i used to have a GSR before the wrx and it didnt look like my GSR engine. also there was very little clutter in his engine bay. it looked pretty roomy. i looked for a supercharger/turbocharger but there was nothing.

any idea what type of engine i raced? he wouldnt say. in fact he kept saying it's the stock engine but i know it wasnt since his integra was an ls, not a gsr. and i know he knows his **** since we talked about cars for another 20 minutes before we left

(btw: when he asked what i did i just kept it simple with "just exhaust and boost controller"... it's true i guess but it just makes it sound simpler than 'uppipe/downpipe/catback/samcos/avcr'. i also had about 100lbs of junk in the car backseat and trunk)

(OH AND: he wants to race again next week once he does a tuneup. he says it was running bad, lol. hopefully by next week i can tune my UTEC properly i'll write again if we race. depending on how i feel im running i might up it to $100 if he would)
    prolly lsvtec gutted car or h22a powered.... not bad
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

could it have been a debadged type-r? I like tegs, but i don't really know what physical differences there are between the ls and the gsr. there is one around where i live with the regular spoiler on it debadged, probably for security.
    03 nissan sentra se-R specV

it was no type-r or a type-r engine, too old looking and was dark green colored

in fact this car ran faster than a type r i raced at the track, which ran high 14s

also i just realized 1.2 on my avcr is 17.06psi oops
    2003 WRBlue Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan
    For Go: APEX'i AVC-R, Godspeed Uppipe, Samco IC Hoses
    For Show: JUN Eyelids, Clear Side-Markers, Momo RaceAir Shift Knob
    For Handling: Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Cusco Rear Sway Bar

ok i talked to my friend who has a turbo'd ls. his guess is that its at 2.0 Liter block from a CRV with a GSR VTec head, and that they can be "VERY powerful." he said that if it has built internals, it could run that well against a WRX thats modded like yours.

and my opinion about racing again once he's 'tuned': be careful man. he's a shady character about his car now, which makes it seem to me like a good 'tune' is adding 50 whp or so for when you race again...

o-|-<) bryan

p.s. go buy a nitrous kit and slap it on before you race again, ya know, to make it fair

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Originally posted by Wrinkleboi
    ok i talked to my friend who has a turbo'd ls. his guess is that its at 2.0 Liter block from a CRV with a GSR VTec head, and that they can be "VERY powerful." he said that if it has built internals, it could run that well against a WRX thats modded like yours.

and my opinion about racing again once he's 'tuned': be careful man. he's a shady character about his car now, which makes it seem to me like a good 'tune' is adding 50 whp or so for when you race again...

o-|-<) bryan

p.s. go buy a nitrous kit and slap it on before you race again, ya know, to make it fair
    bryan you're gay!!!! i have a turbo GSR!!!

phear the FWD! hehe
    token honda guy w/ boost

www.highaltitudeimports.com

motorwork

Nice runs & you are $40 richer.

Could be a car with internals, cams, high comp pistons, and valvetrain.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

Were you really running 17.06psi ? Doesnt that actually net less performance on a stock turbo?
    04 SVT Lightning

im gonna say he had a h22a engine in there
    "I put two and two together and decided - you're pissin' me off."

h22a are big...dude said he had a teg before sooo i doubt it because you can tell the difference

i think he had a built b20 vtec untuned. i would not race for 100 bucks next week unless u get fuel support and turbo.... i would race for 100 if u slapped on a 50 shot though... but if he sprays too.... man... lol

Slap on a VF30 then race him hehe, easy money...

If you factor in the money you win $140

The total cost of the turbo = $799- 140=

...$660

he wants to play dirty, play dirtier...

http://www.nemesisracing.com/nemesis.php

Any Cars look familiar?

BTW don't boost that high with no fuel management the engine will start pulling timing. Fuel cut is at 17.

I say 16 psi for max power.
    Last edited by Butterfingers; 04-09-2003 at 11:41 PM.
    VS1/TXSII Hybrid (RIP)

Me: I hit a highway divider at 120...
    Stupid Cousin: Is that a bad thing?

WRX
    my buddy's got a 95 ls and it's not VTEC. I don't even think they had VTEC back then. So that is definately an engine swap.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

I had a 95 teg gsr befor my rex it was quick but not as quickas that one. I also have a friend with a b20 with a j-spec head on it it is prety strong but i have never raced him. I would watch out next time if he gets it tuned. I will set up a race and let every one know how it turns out

I Support ClubWRX
    Yikes, there are some mean, sleeper Hondas out there. The 2.2L and 2.4L swaps can be devastating.

Just an FYI: VTEC has been around since '89 in the US, as far as I know. Back then, only the NSX had it. The next car to get it was the '93 GSR Integra (rare), then all '94-'01 Integras had it - along with the ~'95+ Civic Ex's, Accord EX. Oops, the Prelude VTEC had it also (obviously) starting in, I think, '94. Now everything in Honda/Acura's line has got it, it seems.

Not that it's a big deal like a turbo, but VTEC serves its purpose.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

It was prolly a ls/vtec or b20/hybrid of some type.
    Dom
    03 Platinum Silver WRX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast