C5 Vette vs Stage 4

This is a discussion on C5 Vette vs Stage 4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was turning onto Colonial Blvd and at the same time on the opposite side of the street I see ...

C5 Vette vs Stage 4

I was turning onto Colonial Blvd and at the same time on the opposite side of the street I see this bright yellow C5 Vette pull out.
    So he is now in the far right hand lane and I'm in the left hand lane. (road is 3 lanes wide, middle lane is clear)
    I look over at him (I've just shifted into 2nd gear) and he looks over at me. I didn't want to get caught off guard (off boost) so I nailed it in 2nd gear (waiting for boost to build). I then see him slam it in 2nd gear and nail it. I had timed it pefectly. I was now right at 4000 rpms (sweet spot in 2nd gear). We both pulled hard but I had a slight lead (about 1/2 car length at the top of 2nd gear). I slammed it into 3rd gear and he seemed to lose a little more ground. I was now about 1-2 cars in front of him at 75 mph or so and he gives up.
    It wasn't that long of a race 35mph - 75mph or so but it was long enough to show him who was faster. He stayed behind me until I turned off.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 04-09-2003 at 05:00 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Niiiiice- I'll bet he's kicking himself driving a car that's basically only useful in the nice weather while you kick around in one that can beat him wet or dry- stage 4 huh? I though a C5 would best a 12.7, but good kill!

I'm 2-0 on C5's myself, good kill! Its a decent race from a roll, but from a stop... they need to get a perfect start just to stay close. I don't think they're 12.7 cars on the street.
    2003 Black sedan
    TurboXS UTEC Stage 4 FMIC
    STi 6-Speed with R180 rear end
    APS SR50 turbo, UR 785cc Injectors, Perrin Fuel Rails
    12.5 @ 109
    *7/22/04 - Now with 2.5 Sti engine, still in break in so no times*

About stock C5 Vettes being 12.7 cars, most are not.

Most stock C5's run 13s at the track.

About 2 mouths ago I raced a stock C5 Vette from a 1st gear roll to 135mph and beat him by a few car lengths.

So I would say a well driven Stage 4 WRX is faster than a stock C5 Vette.

nice run...
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

Z06 is a 12 sec. car. A regular C5 is still no slouch though. Good run.
    -Brian.

Originally posted by Trainrex
    Everybody run!!! It's a spy!!! ***runs out of house screaming and flailing arms above head***

C5 conv. quicker than 03Cobra Conv.

According to C&D (I think) or is it R&T??, the C5 convertible is slightly quicker in the 1/4mile than the Cobra convertible. Does that mean that Stage 4 WRXen and above have a shot against the C5 and Cobra from a roll?? (since it seems thatStage 4 and above WRXen are taking out C5's from a roll on race)
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Nice win. I never get any races!
    293.2 hp to the ground
    267 lb/ft torque to the ground
    VF-30 Setup

Re: C5 conv. quicker than 03Cobra Conv.

Originally posted by jigga
    According to C&D (I think) or is it R&T??, the C5 convertible is slightly quicker in the 1/4mile than the Cobra convertible. Does that mean that Stage 4 WRXen and above have a shot against the C5 and Cobra from a roll?? (since it seems thatStage 4 and above WRXen are taking out C5's from a roll on race)
    I haven't raced a Cobra from a roll, but I have raced a few LS1's from a roll. My car wasn't THAT much faster from a roll, but I did pull away. Of course guys running bigger turbos/higher boost may have a different story to tell. I took both C5's comfortably from 40 -100 mph rolls. Where I really put the hurt on them though was off the line, while they were spinning I was putting car lengths on them :P At some point they'll be faster top end, but I havent cared to find that point yet.
    2003 Black sedan
    TurboXS UTEC Stage 4 FMIC
    STi 6-Speed with R180 rear end
    APS SR50 turbo, UR 785cc Injectors, Perrin Fuel Rails
    12.5 @ 109
    *7/22/04 - Now with 2.5 Sti engine, still in break in so no times*

Re: C5 conv. quicker than 03Cobra Conv.

Originally posted by jigga

I find one of the most important factors is knowing how to drive your car. As we all know getting caught off boost will kill a WRX. When racing any car from a roll in a WRX you need to be at the right rpm (proper gear).
    I'm sure a Stage 4 WRX could hold its own in 1st - 3rd gear with an 03 Cobra and it can definately beat an LS1 Vette etc. After 3rd gear an O3 Cobra will pull away pretty strong. It will take a little longer for an LS1 to pull away.

When I race the C5 Vette to 135mph, I did beat him by a few car lengths but I had definately stopped pulling on him. As soon as I shifted into 4th gear I stopped gaining ground. Though 4th gear I basically held my lead. I'm sure at any moment he would have started reeling me in if we would have continued past 135mph.

Why would he? I don't kick myself when it isn't nice weather outside, I just get in the WRX

Good kill btw

As far as typical times:

97-01 standard C5s: 13.2 - 13.6
    02+ standard C5s: 12.9 - 13.4
    Z06s: High 11s (its happened) - high 12s (not the easiest thing to launch on street tires)

Convertibles don't lose a lot on the ET (within 2 lbs of a coupe), but lose on MPH due to aero.

VV

Originally posted by jedimaster
    Niiiiice- I'll bet he's kicking himself driving a car that's basically only useful in the nice weather while you kick around in one that can beat him wet or dry- stage 4 huh? I though a C5 would best a 12.7, but good kill!

WRX
    speaking of c5's, I saw one yesterday that made me LMAO!! I was taking a short cut through a shopping center parking lot and I saw a brand new black one with a HUGE aluminum wing that literally was taller than the car!!! It was soooo hillarious, I ran home and got my camera. I need to develop that roll of film!!!
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

Originally posted by WRX
    speaking of c5's, I saw one yesterday that made me LMAO!! I was taking a short cut through a shopping center parking lot and I saw a brand new black one with a HUGE aluminum wing that literally was taller than the car!!! It was soooo hillarious, I ran home and got my camera. I need to develop that roll of film!!!
    I don't know why but a guy at our local 1/8 mile has a Z06 and he also has a huge wing on the back of it. It kind of makes the Z06 look like it ricered out.

I actually lined up next to him and I beat him by a few cars. I think I ran something like 8.2x to his 8.5x. It was a beautiful thing.