Finished the LS1 Gambit

This is a discussion on Finished the LS1 Gambit within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I finally raced the only LS1 I hadn't lined up against since I got my stage IV finished. A black ...

Finished the LS1 Gambit

I finally raced the only LS1 I hadn't lined up against since I got my stage IV finished. A black WS6 was in the left hand turn lane next to me. We both started our turn together, and 1/2 way through the turn he nailed it. I stuck with him until we completed the turn then walked past him on the straight, taking a 2 car lead through 2nd gear. We came up to another light, and he got pole position. There was a car in the other lane so I lined up behind him. He floored it off the line, spinning pretty bad. I got next to him and backed off, then we both hit it at 20 mph. I walked away comfortably, and he cut off early. I'm still waiting to find a modded LS1 to try, you would think there would be more of them around but most of the ones I've raced have been stock or close to stock.
    2003 Black sedan
    TurboXS UTEC Stage 4 FMIC
    STi 6-Speed with R180 rear end
    APS SR50 turbo, UR 785cc Injectors, Perrin Fuel Rails
    12.5 @ 109
    *7/22/04 - Now with 2.5 Sti engine, still in break in so no times*

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wow! Good Kill! I am curious though as to how quick you car is compared to mine though. I see you have the Stage 4 package plus FMIC, but I am running the Stage 4 package plus PE1820 and stock intercooler. With this turbo, my car is almost too fast at 16psi (have not had the balls to crank it up any further than that to 18psi), but I imagine that LS1's are still faster for some reason I guess I need to find one to try my turbo out on!
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Those PE's run a nice amount of air at higher rpms. What kind of engine management are you running? Are you getting some knocking, or is there another reason you aren't turning up your boost? You should be able to boost at 20+ with proper fuel/engine management, you'll be a monster top end. Even at 16 psi my guess would be you'd fare well against a LS1.

I had my UTEC dyno tuned last week and ended up at 272 whp and 260 wtq. The map I had tuned started at 240 whp, and most of the gains came from leaning it out. I'm getting the TXS Short intake since I think my Blitz is messing with my mass air sensor. I'm also removing my last cat. The track should be opening soon, so I'll have to wait and see what kind of times I can pull.
    2003 Black sedan
    12.5 @ 109

I am currently running a unichip for management. I am not getting any knocking or anything. The reason why i run at 16psi is that (as much as I am embarased to admit it) the car now scares the crap out of me on the top end. I just have not had the balls to crank the boost to 18psi. I guess that this is to be expected since I was previously running TBXS's Stage 2 package. I should say though that I am totally catless also. The car definitely feels fast as hell, but with no cars to run against or that can keep up when the turbo hits, I cannot say for sure. Almost like that feeling of a car feeling faster than it is when you sit in the front passenger seat.

I would get the Utec, but I do not trust myself with tuning the thing, and there is nobody local to tune it for me. The unichip was the next best thing. ECUtec is still too expensive where i live to be an option at the moment.

I know I sound like a wuss, but 16psi of that turbo is all I can handle at the moment. I just cringe to think what 19psi feels like.
    According to GOD, i can go to 19psi with an upgraded intercooler, and 20psi with intercooler and exhaust manifold. I have the feeling though that I will not feel the need for that much speed any time soon....

I would guess that my car is not running too rich because i do not get much in the way of those fireballs that some people talk about getting when running catless... I only get a pop when shifting at 3000rpm (when the turbo is still dormant)
    Last edited by jigga; 04-08-2003 at 12:23 PM.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Originally posted by jigga
    The reason why i run at 16psi is that (as much as I am embarased to admit it) the car now scares the crap out of me on the top end. I just have not had the balls to crank the boost to 18psi.
    hehe, just give it time and you'll start getting used to the power and want more. I drove my friends car (goes by amsfighter on here) with a 1820@1.2bar and that thing kicked hard, definately much faster than my old setup with the turboxs vf34 stage4 UTEC , but, even the pe1820 is TAME compared to my sr50 set at a LOW boost of 1.1bar. Just to give you an idea,1st and 2nd have very limited traction even on dry pavement when "launched", I can scratch 3rd (especially with the crappy stock all-seasons on right now)...I'm thinking a 6 puck clutch and dogbox are going to be next when I put my summer tires back on. guess i'll wait for the stock tranny to crap out first.
    Last edited by FastARSEWRX; 04-08-2003 at 07:23 PM.

Nice kill Mad Max. Its prl demon from s2ki.com. We should get together soon and have a few good runs!

You going to GLD this weekend?

Cool upgrades...

i can only hope to be where most of your are soon.. just can't decide which turbo to use when i get there.. not much room around here for top end runs...nice kill by the way

Originally posted by FastARSEWRX
    hehe, just give it time and you'll start getting used to the power and want more. I drove my friends car (goes by amsfighter on here) with a 1820@1.2bar and that thing kicked hard, definately much faster than my old setup with the turboxs vf34 stage4 UTEC , but, even the pe1820 is TAME compared to my sr50 set at a LOW boost of 1.1bar. Just to give you an idea,1st and 2nd have very limited traction even on dry pavement when "launched", I can scratch 3rd (especially with the crappy stock all-seasons on right now)...I'm thinking a 6 puck clutch and dogbox are going to be next when I put my summer tires back on. guess i'll wait for the stock tranny to crap out first.
    I was going to go with the SR series turbos, but unfortunately, tuning the thing would have been near impossible since I do not live anywhere near an AWD dyno and there were no utec/unichip maps out there for those series of turbos.

It is just interesting how a lot of cars were passing me on the top end, but now, nothing out there keeps up!

I think I will definitely stop at the PE1820 though, the turbo is more than big enough, plus I wanna keep my transmission in one piece! (although I NEVER launch the car). I am slowly beginning to get used to the power, but I must stress on the 'slowly' part. I cring to think what it will be like when I finally grow some balls and turn the boost up to 18psi.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Originally posted by boostyle
    Nice kill Mad Max. Its prl demon from s2ki.com. We should get together soon and have a few good runs!

You going to GLD this weekend?
    You've got a PM
    2003 Black sedan
    12.5 @ 109

I just love hearing stories about LS1s going down.

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    I just love hearing stories about LS1s going down.
    Me too. LS1's are always a fun run.