had fun with a GN!! amongst other things - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on had fun with a GN!! amongst other things within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, i've heard of the grand national, but since you guys brought it up, i was curious, especially with the ...

Hey, i've heard of the grand national, but since you guys brought it up, i was curious, especially with the supra comment so i looked up stock 1/4 times for the grand national (GNX).

Car-Stats.com Report for 1987 Buick Grand National (GNX)
    Obtained from C&D April, 1987
    0-60: 4.7 Transmission: Unknown
    1/4 Mile: 13.5

Yeah, needless to say i was extremely impressed, why can't buick make cars like that anymore?
    03 nissan sentra se-R specV

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Buick CAN make cars like that. They have changed their market, though. Every time I see a Buick or an Olds, I know ther driver is going to be ancient. (Like me!)

Remember the Olds "not your father's oldsmobile" ads? Too bad they weren't our dads' oldsmobiles. The 442 was really something. The Buick GS 400 of '67 was a beast.

X

Remember Dr. Oldsmobile?

if i remember corectly the gnx was a little tweaked. i think it had a shift kit and 30 or so more ponies... i could be wrong,

The GNX was a higher output version of the GN.

Originally posted by 2001S4
    His comments seemed pretty light to me. What's the problem?
    No problem. Sorry if I got defensive.
    Steve McQueen's got nothin' on me...
    I'll take you back, west of Pleiades...

Originally posted by GriffinREX
    No problem. Sorry if I got defensive.

No problem. I just thought he his comments were ligit. Now lets talk about Grand Nationals come more. They are truly awesome cars. I always thought Monte Carlos were disappointing when comparing them to a Grand National. I would say they are in the same class with the same body design. I believe the GN's have a mechanism in the rear that pushes the rear down for better traction during hard acceleration IIRC.

SHO
    Originally posted by JimmyNY
    Heh, I actually think the Marauder is pretty badass (my opinion). Oh well... I'd take an SHO over it any day
    Exactly, it looks pretty sweet, but I don't think it has the performance to back it up. Especially to compete with the cars that are coming out now with huge HP numbers. Now if they would've just put the `03 cobra engine in there...

MisterX: I think you are right. I just last week test drove a Buik Regal GS (the supercharged on, same as a GTP). Anyway, it had great pick up, and really nice tourqe. Too bad they only come in automatic.

See ya

Originally posted by 2001S4
    No problem. I just thought he his comments were ligit. Now lets talk about Grand Nationals come more. They are truly awesome cars. I always thought Monte Carlos were disappointing when comparing them to a Grand National. I would say they are in the same class with the same body design. I believe the GN's have a mechanism in the rear that pushes the rear down for better traction during hard acceleration IIRC.
    The Monte and the Regal are both G bodies- same shell, different trim.

i read in C&D that the mauraders were projected to sell 12,000-18,000 units but sold like 2910. yeah they sucked. they look like a crown vic to me and they are not that fast for the 30K or so they cost. but i believe GNX's had a differnet suspension that helped them launch better also. IIRC it transferd the weight somehow. guy at a dealership told me that but he coulda ben pullin my leg.
    2007 Civic Si

Originally posted by Mr. Arizona
    i read in C&D that the mauraders were projected to sell 12,000-18,000 units but sold like 2910. yeah they sucked. they look like a crown vic to me and they are not that fast for the 30K or so they cost. but i believe GNX's had a differnet suspension that helped them launch better also. IIRC it transferd the weight somehow. guy at a dealership told me that but he coulda ben pullin my leg.

i think they cost about $50,000

cef
    I know this is a little off subject, but just last night I saw on cnn HeadLine News that Sean Penn's '87(I think) GN got stolen outside a restaurant in LA. It had 2 guns in it, one an unregistered 9mm. Thought it was strange that that made the news. They also posted a pic of a GN.
    04 STI

These cars are awesome, does anyone here know about how many were produced and maybe how much money they are costing these days?
    03 nissan sentra se-R specV

Hey all,

Being the owner of one of these monsters as well as a WRX, I can tell you that a lot of people tend to forget just how fast a GN is bone stock, let alone a modded one. I'm dating myself here, but back in the day (1987) if you had a GN, all you had to do was some very simple cheap mods to run low 12's all day long. Generally $500 in stuff got you there. Today it is even cheaper. As far as how many GN's were made I'm not sure, but you can always check out the GN owners bible at www.gnttype.org and get as much info as you want. Myself I'm waiting for my new engine to get assembled for my GN. It will be a 4.1 stage 2 block with a stroker crank. Should be right around 300 cubic inches. That doesn't sound like much, but it is if you're a V6! I will be pushing somewhere around 27-30 psi using a Precision Turbo PT-80 ball bearing. But anyway, if ya wanna see a GN doing a launch, check out http://userdata.acd.net/lance/mygn.html and scroll down about halfway to the see the video link. Video was shot back in 96 before all the back half work was done to the car. The owner of this car is Lance Ward, Senior Electronics Systems Engineer for F.A.S.T. (fuel air spark technologies). He is the one building my stage motor and it should look something like the once pictued on that website. Also, if GNX info is what you want, hit www.gnx.com. All you ever wanted to know about Buicks last hurrah!

T.
    87 Buick Grand National....not running. Sold engine to Slipknot and building way bigger V6 Stage 2.

03 Ford F250 Crew Cab long bed 4x4 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel, 5sp automatic, and one killer stereo!

03 Subaru WRX...17" battles to go on, STi foglamp covers, rolling stealth mode except for the stereo. The wifes ride.

02 Ducati 900 Monster Dark...we share this one!

Speed costs. How fast do you want to spend? - Sterling Moss

I have a 1987 Grand National. Here's a pic:

In '87 Buick issued the GNX to celebrate the end of the turbo Regal line. Here are the differences between the GN and GNX.

Here's where you can find all the info you need about turbo Regals. It has production figures, vendors list, performance recipes, etc...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.