wrx vs. gti....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on wrx vs. gti.... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; guys, what is faster. wrx automatic or 5speed gti 1.8t. also, my brother thinks that an automatic wrx will lose/get ...

wrx vs. gti....

guys, what is faster. wrx automatic or 5speed gti 1.8t. also, my brother thinks that an automatic wrx will lose/get pulled on by a tiptronic gti 1.8t. what is everyones opinion on this.

btw. whats faster... 2003 gti VR6 or 2003 gti 1.8T

from a roll, and from a stop. who also has better top end(if no governer is set).

peter

p.s. my brother has turned against the wrx's and likes gti's better. he used to be the one bragging his ass of and now, look at him.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I beat a stock 2003 GTI 1.8T in pretty much every situation. It wasn't a question from a launch which was faster? I don't know how a VR6 would fair...
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

Im pretty sure the VR6 is faster than the 1.8t stock for stock.
    04 SVT Lightning

actually the 1.8t is faster 0-60 then the VR6, this is b/c it has a lower torque end. however the VR6 has a better top end speed. but the 1.8t also costs less then the VR6 and has less HP. 180 HP i believe.
    "Thats the beauty of Subaru All-Wheel-Drive"

1995 Grand Am GT...good car for now but hopefully next year the Rex will be mine

i have test driven both cars back to back and the vr6 stock has a little more go than the 1.8t. however, i think the 1.8t would respond better to mods (turbo reasons ).

I agree about the mods area. The 1.8t would gain more hp for less money than the VR6. Just put a chip and an exhaust. That should do the trick.

How could a 1.8t have more low end torque then a VR6? That doesn't make sense.
    '90 MTX White Taurus SHO
    Soon to be installed:
    Cold Air Induction Snorkel
    80mm Pro Flow MAF
    69mm Throttle Body
    Hand Ported and Polished Intake Runners
    40mm Big bore butterflies
    Hi-Flow Y-pipe w/cats
    Lifetime Performance Module

"I just wish someone would call me 'sir'... without adding 'you're making a scene'". -Homer Simpson

Originally posted by JimmyNY
    How could a 1.8t have more low end torque then a VR6? That doesn't make sense.
    Youre right it doesnt. I test drove both of these cars before looking at the WRX. The VR6 had more balls than the 1.8t. Lookin at the specs its 195 ft lbs vs. 173 ft lbs.. Theres a weight diff of about 104 lbs between cars which isnt thaaaat much.
    04 SVT Lightning

its all where the torque curve lies. Its like comparing a single turbo big hp supra to a dual turbo medium hp supra. The single turbo supra is going to have a huge top end and a crappy low end because the turbo wont spool till higher revs while the two turbo will spool a lot faster.

it makes sense.

the vr6 has more torque and more horsepower. It probably has the edge over the 1.8t.
    an automatic wrx should be able to take the 1.8t, especially if it is the tiptronic, a vr6 should be close especially if the vr6 is a manual trans...

Originally posted by Vortex
    its all where the torque curve lies. Its like comparing a single turbo big hp supra to a dual turbo medium hp supra. The single turbo supra is going to have a huge top end and a crappy low end because the turbo wont spool till higher revs while the two turbo will spool a lot faster.

it makes sense.
    Uhh... no. It doesn't make sense. A naturally aspirated 6 cylinder car will have more low end torque than a turbocharged 4 cylinder. The turbocharged car relies completely on the turbo, while the NA car doesn't have to wait for anything to spool.

It doesn't make sense.
    '90 MTX White Taurus SHO
    Soon to be installed:
    Cold Air Induction Snorkel
    80mm Pro Flow MAF
    69mm Throttle Body
    Hand Ported and Polished Intake Runners
    40mm Big bore butterflies
    Hi-Flow Y-pipe w/cats
    Lifetime Performance Module

"I just wish someone would call me 'sir'... without adding 'you're making a scene'". -Homer Simpson

SBW
    The 1.8t always make more torque after you add a chip. vr6 usually has more torque off the line though no matter what. 1.8t's are what you're gonna have to look out for as a chip usually puts them around 220-230 lbs/ft, but stock they have a flat torque curve from about 1200-4600rpms. Most of the vr6's are just loud, buy they definitely can be tuned to breath on the top end with lumpy cams. 1.8t's have much quicker tranny's than vr6's. stock for stock, vr6 will prolly edge on a 1.8t, but once you chip a 1.8t and a few exhaust mods, they'll usually beat out most vr6's.

I dont think the 1.8t gti comes in tiptronic, does it?

Difference beteween VR6 and 1.8t 200lbs not 100.

1.8t (later model one) makes 168whp STOCK making it around 190hp base. VW does not tell you that since VR6 +3k sales would not do all that great for an extra 10hp.

Later model 1.8t chipped (depending on the chip) will make 180whp 230wheel torque with no other mods.

I have a friend with a 1.8t GTI and he can keep up pretty good when we are rolling. He's car is stock and for what it is, it does great.

He tells me that with a chip he will keep up if not take me. I do not know about that but there is only one way to see. (WE WILL MAKE A VIDEO).

He is getting chipped in a few weeks, so wish me luck. I have a stroman cat back, Blitz BOV & K&N drop in. What do you guys think will happen?

Originally posted by ABTMuda
    Difference beteween VR6 and 1.8t 200lbs not 100.
    according to vw homepage and yahoo the weight difference is 104 lbs. of course i guess vw could be lying to us....

The only way you will ever know is to race them. Find the cars in question and put them on a drag strip. This is like asking whos mom is tougher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast