wrx vs. gti.... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on wrx vs. gti.... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; no, I dont think he'll beat you, not with just a chip. Check out Goapr.com, that'll give you a rough ...

SBW
    no, I dont think he'll beat you, not with just a chip. Check out Goapr.com, that'll give you a rough estimate of where modded 1.8t's stand.

A friend of mine had a ported and clipped ko4 on his gti, and it was fast. He's got a gt40 I think now, which is t3/t4 territory, and with that turbo they scream.

On a side note, 1.8t's never cease to amaze me, they were the second engine of choice I was considering. They just make a lot of power, period.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by SobeWRX
    according to vw homepage and yahoo the weight difference is 104 lbs. of course i guess vw could be lying to us....

Yea keep on going to Yahoo for your info, you'll never find anything correct. I was there when 2 identical cars were weigh (a 1.8t and other VR6 with same options), and guess what? One was 219lbs heavier, you figure out witch one!
    Last edited by ABTMuda; 04-07-2003 at 11:07 PM.

Originally posted by ABTMuda
    Yea keep on going to Yahoo for your info, you'll never find anything correct. I was there when 2 identical cars were weigh (a 1.8t and other VR6 with same options), and guess what? One was 219lbs heavier, you figure out witch one!
    Sorry. You are incorrect. From the VW Website: 1.8t w/manual transmission: 2,932 1.8t w/automatic transmission: 3,051 VR6 w/manual transmission: 3,036. So there you go... the largest difference is 104 lbs. http://www.vw.com/gti/tech.htm

There you go. Sorry. My guess is that if in fact you are telling the truth, one had a full tank of gas and the other was empty.
    '90 MTX White Taurus SHO
    Soon to be installed:
    Cold Air Induction Snorkel
    80mm Pro Flow MAF
    69mm Throttle Body
    Hand Ported and Polished Intake Runners
    40mm Big bore butterflies
    Hi-Flow Y-pipe w/cats
    Lifetime Performance Module

"I just wish someone would call me 'sir'... without adding 'you're making a scene'". -Homer Simpson

I drove a Passat 5 MT with the 1.8L engine last weekend. It's a beautiful engine almost no turbo lag. I took a look at the turbo and it is the cutest litle thing - it's tiny. But the automobile really is a joy to drive. The engine is very smooth and responsive. I've grown accustomed to more turbo lag. This motor responds immediately.

X

Originally posted by JimmyNY
    Sorry. You are incorrect. From the VW Website: 1.8t w/manual transmission: 2,932 1.8t w/automatic transmission: 3,051 VR6 w/manual transmission: 3,036. So there you go... the largest difference is 104 lbs. http://www.vw.com/gti/tech.htm

There you go. Sorry. My guess is that if in fact you are telling the truth, one had a full tank of gas and the other was empty.
    OK, well I guess we were all a bunch of idiots when we did this and did not know that one car was full of gas. You know no matter how hard you try there is allways a smartass who thinks he knows it better then you do.

I just told you that we did this on two cars with the same options, unless magically you were there sitting on one making it heavier then I accept the error otherwise the VR6 is 200lbs heavier. I KNOW BECAUSE I DID THIS AND YOU DID NOT.

Another thing, why does VW say the car has 180hp? When we dynoed my friends GTI (STOCK) 167whp? What does that make at the cranck? 180??????? I do not think so.

SBW
    absolutely, thats why audi and vw sales have done so well with this engine. They're great for tuners, and for the average grocery getter, its a small economic engine with balls when you need it. And the torque curve is so flat, you can put the engine in a luxury car and people love it.

SBW
    ABT Muda

those figures are about right, that hp measurement is always at the crank.

I dyno'd my vr6 when it was bone stock. It was a 95 OBDI, and put down 162 @ wheels, and the engine was rated for 172 by vw, which doesn't equate to 15% driveline loss. It was actually kinda higher than I expected. It was at pruven, when they only had one dyno roller, I forget what kind of dyno they have now.

so if your friend is putting down that much, thats good, its the torque numbers where the new vr6's usually excel. The new VGI intake manifold's they have on mk4's really shine.

What kind of dyno was he on, and what did he put down for tq?

OK, well I guess we were all a bunch of idiots when we did this and did not know that one car was full of gas. You know no matter how hard you try there is allways a smartass who thinks he knows it better then you do.

I just told you that we did this on two cars with the same options, unless magically you were there sitting on one making it heavier then I accept the error otherwise the VR6 is 200lbs heavier. I KNOW BECAUSE I DID THIS AND YOU DID NOT.

Another thing, why does VW say the car has 180hp? When we dynoed my friends GTI (STOCK) 167whp? What does that make at the cranck? 180??????? I do not think so.
    Was one an auto and the other a manual? That'd make a difference. I can't see why VW would put false info on their site.

As to the HP rating, some cars are factory monsters. Your friend is lucky enough to have gotten one. There's a fellow on Club18T that made a sick stock dyno (184HP/212TQ to the wheels, if memory serves).
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

tan
    VW tends to underrate their hp.

It's better than over-rating their hp like some companies have mistakenly done.

if i had to choose between yahoo and VW or you, i think i will take yahoo/VW! ...
    Last edited by SobeWRX; 04-08-2003 at 10:37 AM.

everyone under rates the horsepower of there "sportier" cars now... my guess is if you put a vr6 on that same dyno you would likely get number about 15-20 hp more than the 1.8t...

Hey guys just wanted to give my two cents. I have a friend with a golf 1.8t 2003 we have raced any way you can think of . Of course it is no chalenge of the line but from a slow roling start he stays with me 1st and 2nd gear but when i hit third I leave him like he is not trying the cars are fun but no match for my rex.

same here... one of my firends has a 2002? gti 1.8t and its not really a match. off the line its no contest and up around 60-70 i walked him like crazy...

Sigh. Getting desperate? A couple of people have shown that you are wrong. Give it up. I'm not the one being a smartass. You are the one who is stubborn, and holding on to a point that is OBVIOUSLY incorrect by ANYONES measure. VW says their OWN CAR weighs a certain amount, and some jackass who DOESN'T EVEN OWN A VW says they are wrong. I guess I've found the one thing worse than ignorance; pertinaciousness and ignorance.
    '90 MTX White Taurus SHO
    Soon to be installed:
    Cold Air Induction Snorkel
    80mm Pro Flow MAF
    69mm Throttle Body
    Hand Ported and Polished Intake Runners
    40mm Big bore butterflies
    Hi-Flow Y-pipe w/cats
    Lifetime Performance Module

"I just wish someone would call me 'sir'... without adding 'you're making a scene'". -Homer Simpson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.