AWD didn't help me!!!!

This is a discussion on AWD didn't help me!!!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well today I found myself on a dirt road, oh what fun this could be I though. Well I was ...

Unhappy AWD didn't help me!!!!

Well today I found myself on a dirt road, oh what fun this could be I though. Well I was wondering how she would luanch on a dirt road. I reved her up pretty good, slipped the clutch and she was off. It spun for about a car lenght then shifted to 2nd and it stopped. I shoulda stopped then. For some dumb ass reason I stayed on her. I bet I him 70 mph on that f-ing road the I let off as I went over a small hill. The back end slid out just a bit, I corrected. Oops to much. Slid into a ditch but somehow managed to pull out of the skid. Oops over corrected again. Went off the road a bit on the other side. Pulled back on to the road slip almost completely sideways b4 hitting the brakes and then the tree.

I know it was stupid but it was fun write up to the impact. I did manage to brush off quite a bit of the speed b4 i hit the tree. I dont know how fast I was going, probably 20ish. Air bags went off, I was fine no harm to me. It is a very safe car. In fact she started right up, after ripping off what was left of the bumper I even drove it home. All though it wobbled badly above 30 mph so i stayed under that. No leaks, but the bumper, hood, light are done.

Just got a phone call, it will be 6,706.36 to fix it. My insurance said it wont go up to much if it stays under 7g's. lucky me huh. Of course I lose my 30 % discount. So have I learned a lesson from all this. Hell yeah just cause the road is straight don't mean its safe. And to think I was about to get a new bike. guess that will have to wait.

Welp thanks for lisening, hope it made sense.
    Peace

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

everyone learns the hard way

good luck
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Ouch, i feel bad for you, and i thought i was screwed paying for a ticket. Good luck.

Sorry to hear that man, but you pay to play.

yes you do, and i will be paying for a while. But they did say my insurance wont go up untile june when i have to renew it. I guess thats good, i just have to come up with a 250 for the deductable.

Most importantly, you didn't get hurt or hurt someone else. Sheetmetal, bumpers and lights can always be replaced.
    2002 WRX WRB

It wasnt actually AWD that failed you though. Not to sound rude but it was bad driving. You should not have let off the gas like that. Like a RWD car if you dont have power going to the wheels you lose your traction and the back end will slide out.

A while back you would hear stories like this all the time on the forums. Not just on dirt roads either.
    -Andrew

I know it wasn't the car's fault, it was all mine. I let off the gas at the top of a slight hill. Witch at the speed I was going coulda messed with the suspension a bit. Plus I think the sand was a little softer at the top of the hill. I don't know, maybie I shoulda got back on the gas a bit right when I let off and it started to slide just a little bit. That may not have helped either. At least no one was hurt. What can I say, I'm a dumb ass!!!

Yep, you experienced the good old TTO: Trailing Throttle Oversteer.

Stay on the gas & loop it in the middle of the road before you ever, EVER let off the accellerator.

Look into some performance driving schools in your area. It will be the best money you ever spent, I swear.

j.p.