SRT-4: Full Review soon, but pre-review thoughts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on SRT-4: Full Review soon, but pre-review thoughts within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay. Today my uncle bought an SRT-4 and I drove it around a lot. I'm really tired and I'm not ...

SRT-4: Full Review soon, but pre-review thoughts

Okay. Today my uncle bought an SRT-4 and I drove it around a lot. I'm really tired and I'm not even done with my homework yet so I won't get around to posting a nice full review like my Evo one until tomorrow, just thought I'd let you guys in on a few things.

Exterior: A lot of guys think it's ugly, I on the other hand think it's looks great. The wing makes me feel like it's a mini Supra, and the bug eyes hold a place in my heart since I have a rex Solar Yellow is definitely the best color, without a doubt.

Interior: Racing seats are comparable to the Recaro's in the Evo, they hug u very snug and are very comfy.

I'll get around to the speed and actual drive things tomorrow, but I will say this. The torque steer isn't too hard to deal with once you get used to it. My dad said "This thing would be a monster if they made it AWD." But then again it would defeat Dodge's purpose of having the fastest sport compact under 20k or whatever their phrase is. If you're still interested, keep an eye out for a full review tomorrow, and Saturday night....that's right......we'll do a little top end racing since I'm basically stock we can finally make the comparison we've all been wondering about. I'll film it on my digi cam too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Keep us updated and play safe.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Re: SRT-4: Full Review soon, but pre-review thoughts

Originally posted by XtianLA
    Okay. Today my uncle bought an SRT-4 and I drove it around a lot. I'm really tired and I'm not even done with my homework yet so I won't get around to posting a nice full review like my Evo one until tomorrow, just thought I'd let you guys in on a few things.

Exterior: A lot of guys think it's ugly, I on the other hand think it's looks great. The wing makes me feel like it's a mini Supra, and the bug eyes hold a place in my heart since I have a rex Solar Yellow is definitely the best color, without a doubt.

Interior: Racing seats are comparable to the Recaro's in the Evo, they hug u very snug and are very comfy.

I'll get around to the speed and actual drive things tomorrow, but I will say this. The torque steer isn't too hard to deal with once you get used to it. My dad said "This thing would be a monster if they made it AWD." But then again it would defeat Dodge's purpose of having the fastest sport compact under 20k or whatever their phrase is. If you're still interested, keep an eye out for a full review tomorrow, and Saturday night....that's right......we'll do a little top end racing since I'm basically stock we can finally make the comparison we've all been wondering about. I'll film it on my digi cam too.
    If your stock , which it appears you are, he should have no troulbe pulling away from you at higher speeds. SRT-4's are trapping at a much higher speed in the 1/4 mile compared to a stock WRX.
    Why don't you guys go at it from a dead stop also. If you do race from a dead stop drop it at 5k. I would like to see when(at what speed) the SRT-4 catches up to a stock WRX and passes it.

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree. We've all seen too many videos of races from a roll. Boooooooooring!

Let's see some AWD launches eating an SRT-4!
    2010 SSM STI

Originally posted by WilliamG
    I agree. We've all seen too many videos of races from a roll. Boooooooooring!

Let's see some AWD launches eating an SRT-4!

Amen Brotha!!!!!
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Just make sure the srt is broken in first. Mine didn't start making serious power until after ~600 miles. Have fun!
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 Black
    221 whp/ 241 wtrq *Stock*
    13.585 @ 102.88 *Stage 1*

"Nothing gives you such a sense of the infinite as stupidity"

Originally posted by ebbtide
    Just make sure the srt is broken in first. Mine didn't start making serious power until after ~600 miles. Have fun!
    I'll be sure to tell my uncle that. Thanks man.

Re: SRT-4: Full Review soon, but pre-review thoughts

Okay so lemme finish this review.

I pretty much covered the Interior thing to the fullest. One thing is that the shifter knob looks weird.....well, it does feel weird, but it's something to get used to, and from the design I couldn't tell if there was a way to replace it or not, so I'm unsure on this.

Acceleration and Torque was great. Like I said, torque steer was an issue, but once u get used to it, it's not so bad. We had a quick little race today around 2nd gear and basically the same thing happened as everyone else. I got the jump, but he started reeling me in quick. But we shut down before long because it was day time and we didn't want to mess around. We should be able to get some test's done this weekend though.

The Exhaust setup, hahaha. It sounds soooo mean. It's deep, and it occasionally pops like pop corn. You get a little grin on your face when you hear a pop.

That basically sums up the review. If I forgot anything please let me know or feel free to ask me. Also, I know how bad you guys want to see a race from a stop. The problem is....we don't know how to launch that thing. He tried and got bad wheelspin and started moving while spinning. I would appreciate any tips on launching the SRT, and so would he.

Re: Re: SRT-4: Full Review soon, but pre-review thoughts

Okay so lemme finish this review.

I pretty much covered the Interior thing to the fullest. One thing is that the shifter knob looks weird.....well, it does feel weird, but it's something to get used to, and from the design I couldn't tell if there was a way to replace it or not, so I'm unsure on this.

Acceleration and Torque was great. Like I said, torque steer was an issue, but once u get used to it, it's not so bad. We had a quick little race today around 2nd gear and basically the same thing happened as everyone else. I got the jump, but he started reeling me in quick. But we shut down before long because it was day time and we didn't want to mess around. We should be able to get some test's done this weekend though.

The Exhaust setup, hahaha. It sounds soooo mean. It's deep, and it occasionally pops like pop corn. You get a little grin on your face when you hear a pop.

That basically sums up the review. If I forgot anything please let me know or feel free to ask me. Also, I know how bad you guys want to see a race from a stop. The problem is....we don't know how to launch that thing. He tried and got bad wheelspin and started moving while spinning. I would appreciate any tips on launching the SRT, and so would he.

Thats what we are talking about. Let see a stock WRX eat an SRT-4 racing from a dead stop. Its not our fault those cars don't have any traction off the line. (stock setup on the street).

We see video after video of SRT-4s slowly walking away from stock WRX's from a roll. Why doesn't anyone want to show a WRX leaving an SRT-4 sitting on the line spinning?
    Thats what will happen in the real world going at it from a stop light.
    Trying racing from a dead stop on a cold morning. Talk about wheel spin.

I vote to race from a stop as well. I will eventually, but it wont be fair since I'm far from stock.

I was working on-Site at a Dodge dealership all day and guess what rolls up. Yup, a red SRT-4. Service guy gets out and says "man that things fast". But then again he left in an old corolla. Since I was working I couldnt take it on a test drive but I wanted to bad.

I looked over the car pretty well and noticed that intercooler is pretty small almost as small as a stock WRX IC. I'm positive my TXS topmount is bigger. The SRT 4 FMIC core measured 18"x6"x3". I'm not positive on the depth but it looked pretty shallow maybe only 2". It was a tube and fin design as well with decent size tubes for good flow. They also had a turbo diesel truck, now thats an intercooler!

I disagree on the exhaust note, it did not seem deep to me at all. It just sounded kinda raspy and harsh. The blanked hood scoop just looks kinda out of place. If it does serve as a ram air intake it wont get much air unless the opening can be made much bigger.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Re: Re: Re: SRT-4: Full Review soon, but pre-review thoughts

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    We see video after video of SRT-4s slowly walking away from stock WRX's from a roll.
    I'd have to respectfully disagree with you. The videos we've seen have been showing SRT-4 pulling HARD against stock wrx's. Just look at what XtianLA said in his post, the SRT-4 was pulling quickly even though he(WRX) got the jump. The only time we saw an SRT-4 walk "slowly" away from a WRX was when the WRX had full aftermarket exhaust and other performance goodies.

That aside, I look forward as well to a true stock for stock comparison from a stop. Fortunately for WRX folk, it takes considerably more skill to launch a FWD car then it does to launch our AWD cars. Heck, that leaves all the cocky teenagers at the line while we're banging through the gears .
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Originally posted by JRod
    I vote to race from a stop as well. I will eventually, but it wont be fair since I'm far from stock.

I was working on-Site at a Dodge dealership all day and guess what rolls up. Yup, a red SRT-4. Service guy gets out and says "man that things fast". But then again he left in an old corolla. Since I was working I couldnt take it on a test drive but I wanted to bad.

I looked over the car pretty well and noticed that intercooler is pretty small almost as small as a stock WRX IC. I'm positive my TXS topmount is bigger. The SRT 4 FMIC core measured 18"x6"x3". I'm not positive on the depth but it looked pretty shallow maybe only 2". It was a tube and fin design as well with decent size tubes for good flow. They also had a turbo diesel truck, now thats an intercooler!

I disagree on the exhaust note, it did not seem deep to me at all. It just sounded kinda raspy and harsh. The blanked hood scoop just looks kinda out of place. If it does serve as a ram air intake it wont get much air unless the opening can be made much bigger.
    Well, I test drove the Evo last weekend too, and I think the Evo's FMIC is pretty small as well. Would you do me a favor and find the core measure for the Evo FMIC? I don't know where to find that kinda spec and let us know so we can compare. Thnx homie.

So far, it seams the best way to launch the SRT is from about 2200rpm, and modulate the clutch to help prevent wheelspin. I havent tested this on the track yet, but i've played with it on the road a few times. You can not just slip or drop the clutch.

I agree, we need to see a race from a stop. Also, IF the race goes on long enough, the SRT will pass the Wrx. I'd like to know what speed/distance does this occur at. Good luck with it.
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 Black
    221 whp/ 241 wtrq *Stock*
    13.585 @ 102.88 *Stage 1*

"Nothing gives you such a sense of the infinite as stupidity"

I Support ClubWRX
    I think anyone with a WRX lined up against an SRT-4 should push all 4 of their power-window buttons down at the same time.

Beating an SRT-4 off the line = great!

Putting down all 4 windows in the WRX from the drivers seat = priceless.
    2010 SSM STI

Originally posted by WilliamG

Putting down all 4 windows in the WRX from the drivers seat = priceless.
    hahahahahhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhahahahhaha hahahahahahhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhahahahha hahahahahahahhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhahahah hahahahahahahahhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhahah ahhahahahahahahahhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhah ahahhahahahahahahahhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahhaahh ahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahhaa hhahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahh aahhahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhahahahhahahahahahaha hhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhahahahhahahahahaha hahhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhahahahhahahahaha hahahhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhahahahhahahaha hahahahhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhahahahhahaha hahahahahhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhahahahhaha hahahahahahhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhahahahha hahahahahahahhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhahahah hahaha ok im done

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast