The baddest MBZ... CL65 AMG - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on The baddest MBZ... CL65 AMG within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; That's it...after I'm done with law school, buying this car will be my life long goal!...

That's it...after I'm done with law school, buying this car will be my life long goal!
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Carl AMG

BTW...Dielectric be careful what you think about AMG driver's skills. You may find out they're far above your own. I welcome you to any of our club track day driving events to find out.
    Touche. I shouldn't judge all M-B drivers by the q-tips I see lugging S-classes around all day. I watch enough World Touring Car Championship races to know better.

Driver's aids have their place. Ask anyone who followed last year's F-1 championship.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

I understand what you mean about the demographics and so does MB. They are trying to change their image and get younger, sportier buyers into the fold. AMG is a big part of that hence all the new AMG models being introduced. They would like to have an AMG version of all the models in the line up.

Regarding the driver's aids, I think you're referring to ESP. It is a traction control, yaw control, ABS, electronic throttle integrated system. In the standard "on" mode in can be intrusive in a couple of situations:

1. Taking off from a standing start turning it will sense wheelspin and cut the throttle so you bog a little. This is troublesome to some people especially when they are trying to scoot out into traffic.

2. It will only allow a very, very slight bit of power oversteer.

I turn the switch to "off" quite a bit because the system is still active but kicks in at a much higher level and eliminates the problems mentioned above. At the AMG Challenge I drove all the cars in this off position on the track. However, at the track day pictures above with water run off on the track and somewhat cool temps ESP on was the ticket to keep it on the track. I didn't want to drive off like the S4 in the pictures.

BTW...I took second place in the competition out of 55 drivers at last year's Summit Point AMG Challenge. Hoping for first place this year.
    Last edited by Carl AMG; 04-04-2003 at 04:11 PM.
    2003 Subaru WRX Sedan 5 spd.
    Platinum Silver, TurboXS Stage 3 and lots of other goodies. See profile.

2002 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG

2005 Lotus Elise on order

That is an amazing engine they have built for that car. I bet that benz can go 215mph+

Originally posted by BoarderEight
    That is an amazing engine they have built for that car. I bet that benz can go 215mph+
    Theoretically, that's probably true when it comes to the engine's potential. But keep in mind that both the CL55 and SL55 are capable of over 180 mph, but AMG puts on the speed limiters not only because of the government regulations, but one, because you probably won't ever go that fast, and two, the cars aren't equipped with tires that can handle speeds reaching 190.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.