porsche turbo vs stage 4+ WRX from 20mph-90mph
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on porsche turbo vs stage 4+ WRX from 20mph-90mph within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; we both started from about 20mph in 2nd gear...by the top of third he was still right behind me. At ...

porsche turbo vs stage 4+ WRX from 20mph-90mph

we both started from about 20mph in 2nd gear...by the top of third he was still right behind me. At that point I shut it down as I was going over 90mph. This is exactly the result I expected with basically a TurboXS stage 4 + TMIC ( and a few other goodies and tweaks but still TurboXS unichip ) vs a Porsche turbo. For the unbelievers, my WRX will do an average of 4sec flat to 60mph with a good launch and shift to second...that is within a tenth of any published porsche turbo times... plus my car weighs a little over 2900lbs since its gone on a diet vs the several hundred pound heavier Porsche.

Of course the Porsche is going to eat my WRX over 100mph, there's absolutely no doubt about that. But for bang for the buck it is pretty awesome to have a 4 door 2L subaru than can hang with a Porsche turbo to 100mph for 1/4 of the price! ..that was definitely the most satisfying little acceleration contest I have ever had.
    Last edited by twinz; 04-03-2003 at 06:33 AM.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

nice kill on the porsche. I just got a turbo swap myself (PE1820), and it is just crazy over stock. May I ask how exactly you put your car on a diet? What was removed???
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

I Support ClubWRX
    Holy @$%&! Nice kill, 911 Turbos are insane fast. I can only imagine being in your car...damn. I bet a GT2 would have whooped on you, though.

Also curious what you yanked off your car to lose weight?
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

1st through 3rd gear the wrx is incredibly strong but once you hit 4th its all over against the big dogs like the Porsche because 4th is just too tall on our cars...I plan on a STi tranny in a year or so to eliminate that issue.

Pretty much very mod I have done has reduced weight..big brakes, race battery, complete exhaust system, spare/jack removal, ect ect.. I have weighed every component that has been replaced or removed and the total I have taken off the car so far has reduced the weight from the stock ~ 3,085 down to ~ 2,930 on a truck weighstation scale ( with less than 1/4 tank of gas...). My goal is 2,900 even and 300hp measured at the wheels..pretty sure I am already at my HP goals but still need some finish up some final tweaks before dyno tuning..also considering getting a nitrous express Ntercooler setup to cool the TMIC and gain another 20hp or so..or perhaps a 50shot just for "special occaisions"
    Last edited by twinz; 04-03-2003 at 07:38 AM.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi

Good kill.

yup, agree that gearing sucks for 4th and 5th on our rex. i raced a 2002 porsche turbo and beat it by a few car lengths from a stop. he wanted to race from 60 on so we did and by the end of 3rd i was ahead ~2-3 car lengths, 4th came around and he started reeling me in. by the top of 4th we were even. (this was with my old setup, vf34 stage 4 UTEC,blitz fmic, and 50shot).

Originally posted by FastARSEWRX
    Good kill.

yup, agree that gearing sucks for 4th and 5th on our rex. i raced a 2002 porsche turbo and beat it by a few car lengths from a stop. he wanted to race from 60 on so we did and by the end of 3rd i was ahead ~2-3 car lengths, 4th came around and he started reeling me in. by the top of 4th we were even. (this was with my old setup, vf34 stage 4 UTEC,blitz fmic, and 50shot).
    I can definitely see that with the 50shot addition. I am wavering between the nitrous strictly for intercooler cooling or doing a 50shot. In the long run the Ntercooler kit would be much more useful for me since I live in S. Fl, but that 50shot kick sure is tempting!
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi

Is there a way to just change out the "rear diff" like on RWD cars to alter final drive? Still would have the same goofy spacing, but at least overall gearing would be lower, an no need to plunk down $3K+ for either gears or more for a tranny.

Could you share with us what weights you found for the stock parts you removed?

I'm after some volk ce28n's for weight as well as a lighter aftermarket brake setup, and anything else I can do to reduce unsprung weight.
    03 WR Blue WRX
    Factory Short Shifter
    Stock

Originally posted by madwagon
    Is there a way to just change out the "rear diff" like on RWD cars to alter final drive? Still would have the same goofy spacing, but at least overall gearing would be lower, an no need to plunk down $3K+ for either gears or more for a tranny.

Could you share with us what weights you found for the stock parts you removed?

I'm after some volk ce28n's for weight as well as a lighter aftermarket brake setup, and anything else I can do to reduce unsprung weight.
    Yeah I believe you can get different ring/pinion sets for our cars like 4.11 or 4.44 but then 1st becomes almost useless and top speed is drastically reduced but you would get more usefulness out of 4th. The other option would be a different gearset/gear ratio's for the 5spd trans...I think Chalak may do that. I dont have all my weight numbers here with me but I'll try and remember them tomorrow. some easy weight savings were 20+lbs going to a 13.5lb race battery, 25+lbs going to big brakes ( 2 pc rotors with aluminum hats+aluminum calipers ) removing spare+jack, replacing cast iron exhaust manifold + rest of exhaust with lighter weight stainless components. Lighter rims, stereo removal ( didnt do this one yet, but might..)
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi

Good job!

I have always wondered how a similar setup to mine would fair against a 911 Turbo. I know a guy who has one, as soon as I am fully tuned, I will do a few pulls and capture it on video.

Was this a newer 911?
    FS: 02 WRX with JDM V7 RA-C

good job! those 911 turbos are fast!
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

I have heard some whispers about a TXS gear set coming out.
    -Andrew

Originally posted by Need4Boost
    Good job!

I have always wondered how a similar setup to mine would fair against a 911 Turbo. I know a guy who has one, as soon as I am fully tuned, I will do a few pulls and capture it on video.

Was this a newer 911?
    yes, looked to be a 2002 model...beautiful silver one. The quickest of the turbo models was the 96-97 3.6L turbo model i believe, which was good for 0-60 in 3.6 seconds...wickedly fast cars.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi

I don't know if you read my post from a few months back when I raced a Porsche Turbo from a dead stop up to about 85mph or so. It was a real good race with me winning by a car or two. I got a slight jump off the line and held it all the way to 85mph.

I know a lot of people find it hard to believe but a Modded WRX is extremely fast in 1st -3rd gear. Most guys with Stage 4's are running very low 8sec 1/8 mile times. That equates to high 3 sec 0-60mph. Thats fast enough to beat Vipers, Z06s, etc in a short race.

So congrates. I bet you were excited and happy. Its not every day you get to race a Porsche Turbo.

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    I don't know if you read my post from a few months back when I raced a Porsche Turbo from a dead stop up to about 85mph or so. It was a real good race with me winning by a car or two. I got a slight jump off the line and held it all the way to 85mph.

I know a lot of people find it hard to believe but a Modded WRX is extremely fast in 1st -3rd gear. Most guys with Stage 4's are running very low 8sec 1/8 mile times. That equates to high 3 sec 0-60mph. Thats fast enough to beat Vipers, Z06s, etc in a short race.

So congrates. I bet you were excited and happy. Its not every day you get to race a Porsche Turbo.
    Yes, it was a really great feeling seeing that awesome turbo porsche staying in my rearview the whole time! I bide my time waiting for real underdog type acceleration contests like this because they are really a true challenge and showcase just how amazing this little subie sedan is...it really is awesome how strong the subie is in 1st-3rd with the stage 4 setup at 18psi...a total animal in acceleration. With an Sti box and this setup I'll bet 11 second 1/4 could be had without nitrous. What a car!!!
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi

Wow your car was light stock!! Wieghed mine at the drag stip and it weights 3280 ish with a 1/4 tank of gas. That's a big diff. I could see a couple of tenths diff right there. Have you ever thought about trying to start in 1st when at a 20 mph roll instead of 2nd? I raced a truck the other day in 2nd with 3 passangers, and he hung with me till the turbo spolled up. My buddy told me to try putting it in 1st at like 30 mph. So I slowed down and put it in 1st. (took a little force) then reved to like 4g and slipped the clutch while flooring it(just like going from a stop). I had to grabe 2nd fast but, There was zero lag, and she pulled hard right away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast