Stage 4 vs LS1 z28

This is a discussion on Stage 4 vs LS1 z28 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; On my way to work this morning I noticed this LS1 z28 in my rear view mirror. He was coming ...

Stage 4 vs LS1 z28

On my way to work this morning I noticed this LS1 z28 in my rear view mirror. He was coming up pretty fast from behind me. I didn't really think much of it but was hoping for a race. Well the light up ahead turns red and this kid in a Nissan Altima (or something like that) cuts over real quick in the middle lane next to me. ( I was hoping the Z28 would get next to me).
    So here I am sitting at a red light and the Z28 pulls up right behind me. He gets right up on my bumper. Thats usually a sign they want to race. Well the light turns green and I take off a little fast to see if the z28 really wants to race. He did. He kept the nose of his Z28 on my rear bumper. So I floored it half way through 1st gear (15-20mph) and the race was on.

I got a 1 car jump on him in 1st gear and quickly shifted into 2nd. Though second gear I pulled to about 2-3 cars in front of him. Then I slammed it into 3rd and continued to pull slowly away. When I shifted into 4th gear (95-100mph) he was a good 4-5 cars or more behind me. At about 110mph with me a solid 5 cars in front of him he gave up.

I slowed down and he pulled along side of me and gave me a big smile and a thumbs up. He seemed to be more excited than I was. I think he was very suprised. I would have loved to have stopped and talked to him. I then smiled back and we went on our way to work. He was really cool.

By the way the kid in the Altima that wanted to race was about 15 cars back.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 04-01-2003 at 05:12 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Cool story...one thing I'm not clear on is, was the Z28 behind you that whole time?
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Nice race! From what I've seen, stock LS1's (vettes or camaro/firebirds) aren't a match for a well tuned Stage 4.
    2003 Black sedan
    TurboXS UTEC Stage 4 FMIC
    STi 6-Speed with R180 rear end
    APS SR50 turbo, UR 785cc Injectors, Perrin Fuel Rails
    12.5 @ 109
    *7/22/04 - Now with 2.5 Sti engine, still in break in so no times*

good kill......but i don't think even a z28 ss could've hang w/a stage 4
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Originally posted by QuickSilver
    Cool story...one thing I'm not clear on is, was the Z28 behind you that whole time?
    Yes he was behind me the whole race. He was on my rear bumper leaving the line. Even though the lane next to me was open ( by 30mph or so) he stayed right behind me trying to draft. For about a second or so I thought he was going to be able to keep up with me but I slowly walked away from him. Slow and steady all the way up to 110mph. Like I said I had him by about 5 cars or so at 110mph. Not bad for racing from a roll.

Originally posted by capt'n'caveman
    good kill......but i don't think even a z28 ss could've hang w/a stage 4
    Just a bit of clarification. The Z28 SS is no faster than the standard Z28. It is mainly an appearrance/handling package. I realize with beefed SLP option it could be a bit higher, but still not by much at all. The car makes negligable power beyond that of the standard, the ram air on the camaro is jack (the WS6 is great ram air though). It looks better and handles alot better, those are the extent of the differences.
    I have an eclipse. It is slow. Please don't hate me for driving such a car, I really want a WRX. Please buy me a WRX, Ill be your friend.

Originally posted by WishIHadWRX
    It looks better and handles alot better, those are the extent of the differences.
    Some have a better tranny(gearing), watch out for those, nasty fast 1/4 mile times.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

The Z28's can have the same 3.73 gears that the SS's have. Its a choice when you buy the car which you want.
    I have an eclipse. It is slow. Please don't hate me for driving such a car, I really want a WRX. Please buy me a WRX, Ill be your friend.

Just a bit of clarification. The Z28 SS is no faster than the standard Z28. It is mainly an appearrance/handling package. I realize with beefed SLP option it could be a bit higher, but still not by much at all. The car makes negligable power beyond that of the standard, the ram air on the camaro is jack (the WS6 is great ram air though). It looks better and handles alot better, those are the extent of the differences.
    i believe there were two different 5.7 for the camaro.....the regular got a more restricted air box and exhaust, which was rated for 310 hp and 340 lb-ft, as oppose to the other 5.7 found in the ss, which was rated at 325 hp and 350 lb-ft....the slp package was good for another 10-20 hp(on top of the ss)
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

The Z28's can have the same 3.73 gears that the SS's have. Its a choice when you buy the car which you want.
    So, yer saying that a plain-jane Z28 can have the lower ratioed tranny? Yikes.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

Originally posted by brembo
    So, yer saying that a plain-jane Z28 can have the lower ratioed tranny? Yikes.
    Being a former LS1 z28 owner I'm pretty sure all 6 speeds are 3:42 gear ratio. That includes the SS and the standard Z28.
    The choices for the A4 automatics are 2:73 and 3: 23.

3;42 is considered the performance gear ratio.
    On automatic cars the 3:23s is considered the performance gear ratio. The 2:73 is considered the touring package.

About the performance difference between a standard Z28 and an SS is almost nothing. The SS has a slightly better exhaust and a slightly different air intake setup. The difference on a dyno is so small it really doesn't matter.
    If you were to line up a standard 6 speed vs an SS the winner would be the better driver everytime.

as a chevy dealer tech. i agree with sgoswrx on those specs. alot of our customers put 3.73 or 4.11 gears in as thier only mod and that makes a huge difference.

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    Being a former LS1 z28 owner I'm pretty sure all 6 speeds are 3:42 gear ratio. That includes the SS and the standard Z28.
    The choices for the A4 automatics are 2:73 and 3: 23.

3;42 is considered the performance gear ratio.
    On automatic cars the 3:23s is considered the performance gear ratio. The 2:73 is considered the touring package.

About the performance difference between a standard Z28 and an SS is almost nothing. The SS has a slightly better exhaust and a slightly different air intake setup. The difference on a dyno is so small it really doesn't matter.
    If you were to line up a standard 6 speed vs an SS the winner would be the better driver everytime.
    -Brian.

Originally posted by Trainrex
    Everybody run!!! It's a spy!!! ***runs out of house screaming and flailing arms above head***

Yea, sorry guys I didnt mean 3.73's those are aftermarket, I was just meaning to say that the ratios in the cars are the same... sorry bout that. But yes, the plain jane camaros are nearly 100% as straight line fast as SS's, but dont handle as well, or look nearly as good IMO.

Did he sound modded?
    FS: 02 WRX with JDM V7 RA-C