Evo Viii Review...that's Right I Test Drove It
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Evo Viii Review...that's Right I Test Drove It within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay I've seen this car a few times already: 1. LA Auto Show 2. Once on the street 3. Dealership ...

Thumbs up Evo Viii Review...that's Right I Test Drove It

Okay I've seen this car a few times already:

1. LA Auto Show
    2. Once on the street
    3. Dealership

I'll break up the review into categories. First:

*APPEARANCE*
    Exterior: Of course it will never look as good as a JDM, but nevertheless, it's still nice looking. The wing is cool, those Enkei's, Advan tires, Brembo brakes, FMIC looks good in the front, etc.

Interior: Recaro seats are VERRY comfy. I felt very safe in them, they hug you like a snuggly bear (a nice non-killer bear) Pedals were your standard rubber, but the clutch and brake pedals are vvery soft. Shifting is very comfortable ESPECIALLY heel-toe. I heel-toe'd so nicely in it. The shifter is short, and somewhat stiff, but the throws are very short as well, which makes up for the stiffness IMO. The dashboard was good looking, somewhat easy on the eyes. The Momo wheel is superior. I love the 3 spoke design.

*ACCELERATION/SPEED*: I felt spool somewhere around the 2k range, pretty early and you can hear it too. The acceleration was pretty good. I think my rex (only catback) didn't feel a lot different from it. (Maybe cuz my rex is broken in and that Evo wasn't?)

*HANDLING*: Good Lord Jesus. IMO this thing definitely handles nicer than a rex. The Advan tires are wide, and the suspension is very nice, making it stick to the road beautfully. (time to throw out my RE-92's) I did a nice hee-toe shift and I was amazed. I could definitely feel a difference from the rex.

My favorite things about it: The Recaro seats are nicer than our seats, they held my very nicely during my heel-toe turns and such. The shifter is interesting. I'm not gonna say I don't like it, because that's not what I'm feeling. It's just "different" that's all. Very short throws and very stiff. The clutch and brake pedals were very soft, I just loved them compared to my stiff clutch pedal on my rex. These pedals made heel-toe shifting feel passive.

Other than those things, the interior is very similar to our car. But being rally inspired I guess most cars are sposed to be somewhat similar.

Final thoughts: Beautiful car, beautiful drive. Worth > MSRP....not a chance in hell. But....I still think it's a great car. Definitely worth it if they were selling near sticker price. Hope ya'll enjoyed the read!

EDIT: FORGOT TO MENTION I'D STILL TAKE MY REX OVER THIS CAR ANY DAY. Just in case any of u guys think I'm jockin mitsu
    Last edited by XtianLA; 03-29-2003 at 01:37 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Great review. I look forward to driving one sometime in the future
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

eh they are ok i guess...i like the wrxs look a lot more, right now my favorite "new" car is the Z i just saw one at the mall up close and personal...looks great, do all them come stock with brembos? or is that some sorta package?

stock....I think. Pretty sure.

Originally posted by XtianLA
    stock....I think. Pretty sure.
    Actually, I believe that comes with the track package. The package includes larger wheels, these brakes, and some more fun stuff...not quite sure of what they are exactly.
    Fahd

Wider tires and rims (of course) are on the track model too.

Originally posted by aaronwillen
    eh they are ok i guess...i like the wrxs look a lot more, right now my favorite "new" car is the Z i just saw one at the mall up close and personal...looks great, do all them come stock with brembos? or is that some sorta package?
    Only comes on the Track Version...... more money is required, of course.

It's a nice car, but I'd take the G 35 over it ANY day of the week.

Blue
    Turbo XS Stage IV PnP; Mods include: STI, HKS, PDE, Bosal, MRT, ZeroSports, BPM, Samco, IHI, Whalbro, NGK, Defi, Greddy, Kartboy, Sony, 2 Tone Leather, Charcoal Tint, Billet Grill, and Vanity Plate.

Originally posted by BlueDemon
    Only comes on the Track Version...... more money is required, of course.

It's a nice car, but I'd take the G 35 over it ANY day of the week.

Blue
    Agreed. I'm trying to convince my father to get a G35. He was at the Nissan dealership, and some sales rep told him the AWD version would be out soon enough... thats the one that he wants, too.
    '90 MTX White Taurus SHO
    Soon to be installed:
    Cold Air Induction Snorkel
    80mm Pro Flow MAF
    69mm Throttle Body
    Hand Ported and Polished Intake Runners
    40mm Big bore butterflies
    Hi-Flow Y-pipe w/cats
    Lifetime Performance Module

"I just wish someone would call me 'sir'... without adding 'you're making a scene'". -Homer Simpson

Originally posted by JimmyNY
    Agreed. I'm trying to convince my father to get a G35. He was at the Nissan dealership, and some sales rep told him the AWD version would be out soon enough... thats the one that he wants, too.
    AWD version Uh oh, we're gonna be in trouble.

As for the G 35, I'm convinced that it's slower than the 350z. I raced one and beat it by a long shot. There's no way they're as powerful. I'm betting that the gearing is different or it's heavier or something.
    Fahd

I like the G35, though I haven't raced one yet, I think it looks really nice, especially that blue color I keep seeing. Iono what it's called.

Originally posted by XtianLA
    I like the G35, though I haven't raced one yet, I think it looks really nice, especially that blue color I keep seeing. Iono what it's called.
    ...and I'd give up my right pinky for a dark gray 350z
    Fahd

Did you race a sedan or a coupe?
    '90 MTX White Taurus SHO
    Soon to be installed:
    Cold Air Induction Snorkel
    80mm Pro Flow MAF
    69mm Throttle Body
    Hand Ported and Polished Intake Runners
    40mm Big bore butterflies
    Hi-Flow Y-pipe w/cats
    Lifetime Performance Module

"I just wish someone would call me 'sir'... without adding 'you're making a scene'". -Homer Simpson

Lol... Nice try Mitsubishi, but as you can clearly see wrx enthusiasts are more interested in the Z than the Evo.

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

Originally posted by snowcat
    Lol... Nice try Mitsubishi, but as you can clearly see wrx enthusiasts are more interested in the Z than the Evo.

-snowcat
    HAHA, i'd much rather have an evo myself than the z.

Originally posted by Shard
    HAHA, i'd much rather have an evo myself than the z.
    I would love to have either car but if going fast is your goal the EVO is definately a better choice. With just a few basic mods the EVO will be in the 12s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.