WRX vs. A4 1.8T - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. A4 1.8T within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What's your budget to start? You can probably add a downpipe too. That would be a great way to go. ...

What's your budget to start? You can probably add a downpipe too. That would be a great way to go. I know the catback will sound good but the downpipe will offer more gains.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What's your budget to start? You can probably add a downpipe too. That would be a great way to go. I know the catback will sound good but the downpipe will offer more gains.
    I'll have around $1500 to spend.

MBC - $40
    Uppipe - $200
    Turboback - $1000 (or stealth back for around $700)
    IC hoses - $125
    Pulley - $150

Then get an Access reflash ($400 I think) and you are REALLY good to go.

All of this should be done after you have Boost gauge and EGT gauge. Boost is about $30 and EGT is $125.

Keep in mind all of these prices are without installation, and that can get really expensive.

Other things to think about are whether you want to go fast in a straight line only or be able to drive the car faster. If i is the latter, then you are going to want to spends some money on suspesion and handling. Tires are a must, then a rear sway bar adn endlinks, then an anti-lift kit (ALK) and then some springs and struts or coilovers if you can afford it.

Sorry for all that info.....best thing to do at the start is the guages, MBC, and uppipe, then work from there.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

You have to take in install costs.. not everyone can do it themselves
    -Andrew

"Keep in mind all of these prices are without installation, and that can get really expensive."

I said that!

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

You cant exspect people to read the whole thing. There are so many threds so little time.

As far as the up pipe go its about 30 dollars extra for gaskets reguardless if you do it yourself or not
    -Andrew

I hope you get the point to get an up pipe.

i raced a older 1.8t at the track he was modded he had chip and exhaust i beat him by alomst half a second i was 14.8(bad i know)
    he was 15.2

OK, I was looking at downpipes and MBCs and I have a few questions. 1) I was looking at the HKS downpipe and it says it replaces both cats after the turbo. Do most aftermarket downpipes do this? Isn't that last cat essential for passing emissions inspections? 2) I was looking at MBCs, and the GReddy T.V.V.C. MBC caught my eye. Is this a good MBC?

I'm not a big fan of the MBC.. while they are cheap their are better (ie less booste spike) routes even an EBC could provide although cost will be >.

Many downpipes come in a catted and uncatted version for the WRX although some come only catless. If you have no cats you have no chance at passing emmission w/ out swapping pipe unless of course they only read from your computer but you will fail a sniffer... some people claim to be able to pass the sniffer w/ a single cat and some keep one cat just to keep from putting that black stain on their bumper (no cats = lots of crap in the exhaust).

I went w/ a perrin dp w/ single "hi-flow" cat. It provided a great increase in power, not the same as catless but damn good.

Its really up to you to decide what you want to do and pick the parts to match that desire.
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

WtuRboX,

I say you make a new thread for this in the "Engine Performance" forum. It'll be better to discuss over there. After you make the new thread just make a link here on this one so folks from this thread can partcipate.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Re: WRX vs. A4 1.8T

Originally posted by WtuRboX
    OK, I'm buying an '03 WRX within the next few weeks, and this kid I know thinks he'll be able to smoke me in his '00 A4 1.8T. He has an exhaust and an intake-venting BOV. His car, stock, is rated at 170bhp, so with his mods he'd be very lucky if he's pushing 180hp. It's a Quattro, but even so, I tell him it's no match for a WRX, especially since I'm buying an intake, exhaust, and BOV within the week I get it. I just want this forum to prove to him once and for all that he's full of ****.
    Funny I came across this thread tonight. I hadn't noticed it really before. Tonight I was driving my friend's WRX (it is a blue wagon with tints). Actually it is his wife's, he is a die hard WRX fan and she got the rex, he has a MX6, which is a very fun car to drive itself. Anyway, we are driving back from KFC and this woman in a silver A4 1.8t kept trying to race, or mess with us at least. For about three lights she kept rocking at the line, all three times we were the only cars at the lights. All three times when the light changed she just floored it, I just drove normally and caught her at the next light. Finally I said to my friend, sorry, gotta do it. He of course said, damn right you do. . I was trying to be nice to his car. I didn't launch it, as I will not put the strain on his car, so we were basically side by side at first. I threw it in second and ran it right up to red line, she appeared to be pushing it as well. I kinda waited for her to really make her move before I punched it. If you are questioning if a WRX is faster than a 1.8t, then the answer is GOD YES. We pulled away from her in a heartbeat. Needless to say, she didn't rock anymore after that. So I chalked one up for you guys.

Oh, I forgot. My friends car is totally stock.

You rock.

Im not a super pro tuner or anything...but i think you shold leave the car alone for a while untill you learn more about it. (or cars in general for that matter) B/c on the WRX it is known by most people that many of the aftermarket intakes cause a 'lean conditon' in the engine. Although you stated that you wanted an intake, which leads me to beleive you didnt know this, and that it may be difficult for you to tune the MBC everyone is saying to get.

Id vote for waiting a while to do anything.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast