What kind of Grand Prix runs 14.05 in 1/4?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What kind of Grand Prix runs 14.05 in 1/4? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This security guy at work saw my race numbers one day and asked me what I ran. I told him ...

What kind of Grand Prix runs 14.05 in 1/4?

This security guy at work saw my race numbers one day and asked me what I ran. I told him 13.8 at 97mph.
    He said, "Cool, I'll have to race you sometime."
    I said, "What do you have?"
    He said, "Grand Prix, but it ain't stock though."
    I said, "Alright, we'll go sometime."
    I pulled away laughing, "Grand Prix, oh no," I thought to myself. Further thought said, what if it's a GTP. Hmm.

So I roll to the security checkpoint and I see him again.
    He says, "What did you say this thing runs?"
    "13.8"
    He says, "I ran 14.05. Let me know when you wanna go."
    I was way impressed. 14.05 at the same track I run at.

How about those Grand Prix, what do you have to do to get them to run almost in the 13s?

-Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

At the local track here, there are a few of those GTP's in the 13's. There is one that is running in the 12's.

I think with only an exhaust and different pulley on the supercharger and he'll will most likely see high 13's.

You should take him on the street if your on your toes. Just because he ran a low 14 on the track doesn't mean he can do it on the street. Your WRX should run the same on the street as it does at the track due to the AWD. You might even be slightly faster on the street because there is no traction compound.

Later,

Dale

Lightbulb GTP???????

i would like to see some of these GTP's run that kind of time. no offense i am sure with NOS they could do that, a stock GTP super charged runs right at a 15.0 at 90.+ give or take a little. most of these even with a pulley for the super charger that only gives them a couple more psi, i think like 2-4 more, and they are heavy cars so to run a 13 or better its got to have a lot. and try finding performance parts for that car...i have a guy here in town that claims his GTP beat an S2000... yea...sure i would bet that S2000 was not trying very hard....guess when i get my car out of the shop we will have to wait and see....

hehe i know some people from my web forum that have GTP friends in the 12s.

Some small mods and a pulley for the SC and no problem.

Beware of some GTPs... as they could eat your WRX alive.

black99gt,

They ain't gonna eat my WRX alive 0 to 60mph.
    Not with that kind of gerth and FWD!

You might know this, gt. What's one of them sucker's weigh?

I had a friend a couple of years ago with a GTP. He scared the crap out of me. The thing was fast as hell, but it seemed so heavy, like it just wanted to keep going straight when it was time to turn.

-Jim

Heavier then my 3400lb GAGT. I think they are Near 4K (im sure its over 3400 but not over 4K)

And ya they are quite fast. I dont care to have one tho. I would rather have AWD and RELIABILITY... When you change the pulley on the GTP you risk alot more problem then you would boosting a WRX. So many people try not to overboost the GTP.

I know quite a few GTPs that are in the 12's tho.

May not beat your WRX from 0-60... but from there on after.. WATCH OUT!! Especially on the highway... the 12sec GTPs are like Beatles with ROCKETS strapped to them on the higway!!

A witnessed a Buick Regal GS (same motor as the GTP, but heavier car) run a 13.5 at 103mph!!

I checked out under his hood....he said all he had was a supercharger pulley and an intake....both of which I could see. It was a young guy, who was very cool....he like my WRX a whole lot and was very curious what I ran......

Other than that his car looked completely stock....like grandpas car...but it was quick.

He could have ran better I think....it was really hard for him to launch the car effectively. Even when he ran the 13.5 he spun pretty goog in 1st and chirped 2nd in his Automatic!!

I will never underestimate them!!

Doug
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

To get the GTP and GS to run in the 13's only requires a change to a 3.4" pulley and a CAI (Which is what I am running). No exhaust needed. The guys running in the 12's are running 3.2 or 3.0 pulleys, exhaust, and CAI. Some of them are also running stronger Valves and such for reliability and there are more than a couple in the low 10's. BTW, the cars are 14.5 to 14.8 stock (they are 240 HP and 280 FT/lbs). And the GS's are actually quicker because they are 120 lbs lighter than the GTP. Stock weight on each is around 3500, depending on options. They are not as heavy as people think.

Getting HP out of them is easy, the hard part is traction. Being FWD and a Glass tranny, makes it hard. There is an aftermarket LSD unit that is much stronger, but it is big $$.

Stock for stock, the Rex should kill it off the line, but then the GTP will come on strong. Most of it will depend on drivers skill.

Mod for Mod, the GTP can get some serious HP, but can not take advantage of it. A Rex will have less Torque, but will be able to really use its extra HP.
    Last edited by mhoward1; 02-04-2002 at 09:22 AM.

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    black99gt,

They ain't gonna eat my WRX alive 0 to 60mph.
    Not with that kind of gerth and FWD!

You might know this, gt. What's one of them sucker's weigh?

I had a friend a couple of years ago with a GTP. He scared the crap out of me. The thing was fast as hell, but it seemed so heavy, like it just wanted to keep going straight when it was time to turn.

-Jim
    GTPs weigh in around 3400lbs...a nicely modded GTP will burn a WRX off the line you gotta remember one advantage of a supercharger over a turbo instant power no spool up time. However a stock GTP runs like high 14s low 15s. Swapping out the pulley is a popular mod. They cant handle for crap though I think its rated like .80 on the skid pad which sucks ass
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/gregfarz78

Like free MP3's? Join my club, mention clubwrx.net
    Audiophilez

a nicely modded GTP will burn a WRX off the line you gotta remember one advantage of a supercharger over a turbo instant power no spool up time.
    Supercharger (instant power) + fwd = tires spinning wildly= HORRIBLE LAUNCH

WRX + AWD= Mad launches regardless of turbo lag

2.5RS's without a turbo to speak of still pull 1.9-2.1 60fts...
    Now according to some dyno-charts I have seen, the WRX puts out more TQ at 2000rpms (before the turbo spools) than a 2.5RS does at 2000rpms without a turbo. So the good launches would exist regardless of the turbo lag.....when the turbo fully spools though....watch out!

Doug

Originally posted by dug-e-fresh

Supercharger (instant power) + fwd = tires spinning wildly= HORRIBLE LAUNCH
    The TC systems helps SOME as well as the wide rubber on them, but yes, FWD and lots of torque do not mix. Its too bad they don't currently put that engine in a RWD or 4wd vehicle in the US. Holden does though.

I gotta agree with Doug on that one.
    You will not see a FWD car pull the kind of 60' the WRX pulls.

-Jim

That's the biggest problem with these cars (GTP and GS). Off the line traction. If they are rolling its ok, But the 60' part sucks most of the time. The guys running 10-12's have a lot of HP so they can make up the time off the launch.

Imagine having the 300 Hp and 380 Ft/lbs in a 4wd car.

By the way, the L67 (The GTP motor) fits in nicely in a Fiero..

Fiero with a L67....thats crazy!

I really like the GTPs. I almost bought a Silver one before the REX. I also own a black Grand Am GT, so I thought it would be a nice pair....in the end I went with the WRX though. I am very happy!

Actually what I really wanted was the Grand Prix GTX made by SLP. Thats rated a 260hp and 295tq!! To put that in perspective, a Mustang GT with 2 more cylinders and more displacement makes 260hp and 302tq... not bad, eh? I still wouldn't mind owning a GTX/GTP. Perhaps someday. The new redesign it may go under looks to be promising. As it stand there are only 3 things that I do not like about the car:

1- 4 Speed Auto only, not even a sport shift or a 5 speed auto.
    2- Handling characteristics are less than desirable...
    3- I hate the dated Tach and Speedo...the Grand Am has a much better set-up in my opinion......

Holdens are schhweet!! They take the RWD Grand Prix idea one step further and put the 5.7 LS1 in them!! Truly a world class car!! Come on GM, get with the program, us Americans want to have more fun with the LS1's than the F-bodies and Corvettes will let us!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.