WRX vs. S4 Part II - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. S4 Part II within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; He he he he... more paper racer specs: Stock S4- 250 HP 258TQ W= 3593lbs HP/W= 14.372 TQ/W= 13.926 Stock ...

He he he he... more paper racer specs:

Stock S4-
    250 HP 258TQ
    W= 3593lbs
    HP/W= 14.372
    TQ/W= 13.926

Stock WRX
    227HP 217TQ
    W= 3085lbs
    HP/W= 13.590
    TQ/W= 14.210

back and forth we go.......
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes, others have... me, I was very very mildly modified. I ran a 13.710 with just an EBC, and it was set to stock boost, 14.3 psi.
    How about without the boost controller. Cuz even though it's at stock boost, doesn't it make the turbo spool faster? And isn't stock boost 14.2?

How about without the boost controller. Cuz even though it's at stock boost, doesn't it make the turbo spool faster? And isn't stock boost 14.2?
    depends what magazine you read. I hardly think 0.1 psi will make any performance difference.....

Nothing can make the turbo spool quicker....an EBC/MBC keeps exhaust from venting as easily so that boost gets built quicker.

In terms of turbo spool, in stock form the WRX has much to be desired... I mean when compared to an Audi or Saab....

I never ran without the EBC. I wish I had..... There was a post of a guy with just an MBC and unbolted exhaust that ran 13.5.

Still getting a stock car to break into the 13 sec barrier requires really good conditions (ie- close to sea level, low humidity, semi-low temps, "perfect" launch, etc....), but it can be done.
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

wrx killers or whatever...
    You have got to be smoking some serious crack to say there is NO comparison between an S4 and a WRX. This just proves how emotional yours and other s4 lovers thoughts are versus actual facts.
    I don't think that the wrx is God. But it is the bestbang for the buck. No other car in this country ( untill the Evo) can give you its blend of power, speed, and practicality anywhere near the price.
    If I just spent 40K+ on a car and found out something almost half its price can hand it its ass, I'd probably be a (closet) hater too. I can't blame you for that.
    The S4 is cool. But it can and will, and has been beat up. The Europeans know this. In the Dec. 2000 edition of Autocar Mag. Thay ranked the WRX top, five out of five stars along the likes of the 911 Turbo, and M3 as a True drivers car. The S4 was ranked the opposite with cars like the base Puegeot, and Alfa Romeo as not a drivers car, and sloppy handling, with vague steering, and an abomonation of a gearbox. Now if the vary people who drive these car the way they were meant to be driven give the S4 the lowest rating (2stars out of five) in the ranks what does that tell you? Oh I know, I know they were paid off again right? Please......

They're similar in their AWD, 4 doors, and turbos but very different otherwise. Also, the price differential is not that big. I bought mine new for 36.9K (about 50% more than an S4). I think it's worth every penny. The S4 is designed as a luxury sports sedan (biased towards an autobahn cruiser) whereas the WRX is a economy sports sedan (biased towards a rally car). The S4 doesn't fit the European definition of a driver's car but neither does a '69 426 Hemi Dodge Charger (and that's one heck of a car!). Also, sorry but you're delusional ... no WRX is going to "hand it its ass", especially at 3 digit speeds where the WRX runs out of steam. In addition, it's unlikely that the WRX will hold up well long term. Compare 10 year old Audis where I live with 10 year old Subarus ... let me summarize ... German steel vs. Japanese rust.

Originally posted by dug-e-fresh

depends what magazine you read. I hardly think 0.1 psi will make any performance difference.....

Nothing can make the turbo spool quicker....an EBC/MBC keeps exhaust from venting as easily so that boost gets built quicker.

In terms of turbo spool, in stock form the WRX has much to be desired... I mean when compared to an Audi or Saab....

I never ran without the EBC. I wish I had..... There was a post of a guy with just an MBC and unbolted exhaust that ran 13.5.

Still getting a stock car to break into the 13 sec barrier requires really good conditions (ie- close to sea level, low humidity, semi-low temps, "perfect" launch, etc....), but it can be done.
    What do you mean "much to be desired"? I have a Saab 9-3 there's a bit of turbo lag, but not bad. Of course, I also have an automatic so that makes it worse. I have an MBC and it works alright, like .5 psi more I think and turbo spools quicker. But my ECU (T7) cuts boost after bit cuz it doesn't respond well to boost controllers.

Whoosh...
    you obviously don't visit junkyards much... It;s hilarious that you actually think an Audi is a quality vehicle in the long run. I use to have an 84 Rabbit, and an 81 Rx7 and everytime something broke down I went to the junkyard to get parts. The abundance of Audis rusting in the wind was astounding, and Subaru's, Honda's were rare. trust me my friend, if you think an Audi is more reliable in the long run than a Subaru your the one who's flyin over the coo coo's nest. True Japanese cars have a history of rusting, but they will run when most cars couldn't even start. All I have to say is you'll see....

I obviously don't *have* to visit junkyards much. I haven't needed any parts. Why are *you* spending so much time there? You're mistaking the quality of Audis of old like the Fox with that of the newer models. It's like comparing a Honda 600 with an Acura (that's right ... no comparison). BIIIGGG difference in quality control. Also, Audi parts are expensive so the folks who buy old Audis second and third hand usually can't afford to repair them. Japanese cars are very reliable but they're damn hard to drive when your fenders are falling off and the frame is rusted in half. BTW, one reason I switched from Japanese cars to an Audi was a friend who had a 12 year old Audi with no rust and 175K on an engine with the original turbo. And for another thing, I plan to replace my 2000 S4 with the 2004 model when it comes out (and my warranty expires). I like having all my maintenance included in the price of the car. I'd hate like heck to have a Subie like the SVX and have to replace an automatic tranmission every time the timing belt is replaced.

As far as rusting goes the Germans are king period. I also agree that the svx would be a pain to fix, I hate that thing it;s just too damn stupid with an auto only trans. As far as the Honda 600 v's acura thing that in itself proves my point because the 600 was a great car unlike the much younger audi 90's or 100's etc. need I bring up the killer auto tranny situation of yore?

Hey, don't knock that unintended acceleration thing. It was actually an Audi option to get rid of troublesome wives (legally) who happened to walk in front of your car in the garage.

I don't know about the Honda 600 being a great car. I was pedalling my bicycle uphill against a head wind immediately after I had a double hernia repair and while I was having an asthma attack and I still left it in my dust.

Damn... what happened to this thread!

wrx_killers4 :

That WRX that you raced with a front mount, larger turbo etc... musn't have been tuned properly, or it was show.... something doesn't sound right... you would never have been able to walk on him in 5th gear... that sounds ridiculous....

A WRX with $1,500 worth of mods (the right mods) can get to 300hp... giving you a much harder time...... no way you would just walk away, in 5th gear yet.........

That WRX that you're talking about sounds like it has over $2,500 in mods... crap, a fmic alone is at least $1,000 , nevermind an upgraded turbo $900 at least, engine management... etc...

My experience with a "Stock S4" -please note .... was, I can beat it every time... this was just with an MBC, and a cat-back exhaust. (unless I mis-shift or something stupid)

I have yet to run a modded S4, but would like to... just to see where I stand against the "chip & exhaust" deal.

S4's are great looking, powerful cars...... but for the money, I chose a WRX, and have made it seriously competitive..... (forget interiors & finesse, that's not why I bought this car)

In another couple of weeks, I'll have my Cusco coilovers, injectors, fuel pump, engine management, racing slicks, light wheels, 6 pot brakes.... and I'll be ready for the road racing track.

I don't care much for 1/4 mile tracks... but I think I'll go at least once this summer to see where I sit.... I should be able to get somewhere around a 12.5 or 12.8.... which isn't bad....IMO
    Last edited by Kenneth2000; 02-20-2002 at 11:41 PM.
    02 Blaze Yellow WRX >>> 04 STi >>> 05 300c SRT8 w/100 shot >>> 06 EVO IX ... I'm loving it!!

It really all comes down to the driver...cause like I said...I've raced about 4 WRX's (looked stock to me) and beat them evertime...it was a close race but past 60 I was looking in my rearview mirror (this was pre-chip). The guy I raced with the Front Mount and Larger Turbo...in 5th I inched on him very very slowly up to 140 (I think the WRX almost ran off the road a few times)...the 2nd run I pulled on him a lot quicker. He did install the front mount the night before so maybe he wasn't running properly.

Scoobie...I imagine you're the type of person who would buy your canned green beans in the dented can isle. I said the WRX was a great car and definately more of a great car for the value...get that through your cheap head. I admit I used to hate Audi's...in the past Audi's have sucked ass in the reliability field...and no doubt there are many more Audi's in the junkyard then Honda's, which are some of the most reliable cars in the world. That doesn't mean jack crap now though. Things have changed. And for the comparison....I could careless if a 10 dollar car could beat my 42K dollar car. The S4 is a sweet ass ride. Believe me...I've driven many WRX's too. I've crashed one WRX already and ridden and driven many others. Yet, I would take the S4 over a WRX ANYDAY of the week. If I wanted a plastic chintzy interior and tons of engine noise to grace my ears in the cabin as well as a car that every Tom **** and Harry had...then I would of surely chosen the WRX. Get my point? I doubt it.
    Gin and Tonic Demonic!

Audi reliability

I've heard a few recent comments on the Audi's long term reliability. I've owned a Audi 90 and 5000 and have personally had good luck with them.

Rust Protection
    Unless Audi has changed their anti-rust protection, all of the major body sheet metal is galvanized. This includes the roof. No other manufacturer goes this far. But, even with this protection, I had some rust on the Audi 90. (By the way -- the rust was not "rusted through" so it was not covered by the 10 year warranty)

Quality
    I really liked my Audis. They felt solid, and even with just front-wheel drive, I always felt that they were great in all weather conditions. While I haven't yet had any problems with my WRX, I (obviously) notice the lack of sound deadening materials and lower quality interior components within the car. I still like my WRX's interior, but I think Audi's interior is best in the industry, better than BMW, Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes, etc. The Audi's interior is also functional and stylish, like my WRXs.

Junkyards
    The reason why I got rid of my Audis is simply that parts became too expensive. In case you don't know, new Audis normally come with a 3 or 4 year bumper-to-bumper warranty with scheduled maintenance included. While Audis hourly repair rate is similar to other manufacturers, their parts are expensive relative to Japanese and American manufacturers. I remember $75 per switch (for the heated seats), $300 for the headlights, etc. These were normal parts, not something exotic. I personally feel that that is why you see so many Audis in the junkyards.

S4 envy?
    So why didn't I get an S4? The answer is, obviously, money. I just am not interested in paying close to $40k for a fun car that I'll throw around. I'd rather pay less and then feel less guilty about playing around and modding my car.

I think the S4 is great, and if anyone wants to trade his/her S4 for my WRX, please let me know!

Originally posted by wrx_killers4
    I've crashed one WRX already
    What happened there?!?!

And tons engine noise? Plastic interior?

In my opinion(not oh-so-luxrious S4 owner's), my engine is embarassingly quiet. When my friends with Integra Type Rs, Celica GT-S, and Civic Sis with intake or whatever rev at me, I just can't do anything. Man, those engines with intake sound sweet when they hit big cams. Sure, WRX is somewhat noisy with LSD and all.. but it's perfectly entertaining to me, at least.
    As far as interior is concerned, it all comes down to personal preferences too i guess.

Originally posted by wrx_killers4
    If I wanted a plastic chintzy interior and tons of engine noise to grace my ears in the cabin as well as a car that every Tom **** and Harry had...then I would of surely chosen the WRX. Get my point? I doubt it.
    Bashing on WRXs like that on a WRX-exclusive board won't get you any nice responses except from the fellow Audi owners that you brought along. You already knew that though, right? Everyone here knows that there are pros and cons of owning both cars. I don't see the need to go that far saying our cars are straight up made cheap. I've had enough of this. I think we need a moderator here, please.

Now I get it.

Whenever a woman enjoys the sound of a lsd more than a man there is a serious problem. Tristine has more balls than certain people on this thread uhum.
    I mean anytime you hear BS like It's too noisy, It hurts my ears with it lacks sound deadening from so-called men, and a woman states she finds it entertaining, and wishes it could be louder on idle it makes me glad yet sad. I mean it's awesome to see a female with great taste, and enjoys what our forefathers use to die for. Raw performance machines. But unfortunately this world is full of P&^$%es who just happen to have penises.
    Maybe that's why leather seats are more important than performance. Like Tristine I have guts, and I don't need no punk$ss leather seats, and a so-called finessed flamer chariot to enjoy driving.
    Go Tristine, why your all real woman, but there are some here that are more so.
    Oh you got it...and you know who you are......

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast