WRX vs. S4 Part II - Page 4
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. S4 Part II within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I know they are bypass or recirc valves, I just threw in the "BOV" reference so to relate to the ...

I know they are bypass or recirc valves, I just threw in the "BOV" reference so to relate to the board what I was talking about.

The WRX also uses a BP/Recirculation valve....but many refer to them as BOVs.......many have "upgraded" to a BOV without any driveability issues though....

Doug
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wrooonnnggg!

Sorry Bud but you're wrong. I've had my S4 for two years and have not had one single problem, electrical or otherwise. It starts instantly in any kind of weather (including sub zero temperatures) and is undoubtedly the best vehicle I've ever owned. Also, I've driven three WRXs. They're an excellent car for the money but I'll take the power of the S4 any day ... torque rules!

This is so funny to me. I invite any WRX owner on this board to race a S4. The next time you roll up to one at a light, PLEASE roll down the window and ask the guy or gal driving the S4 if they would like to race. The simple fact is that any stock S4 can beat a stock WRX, screw C&D. I know this for a fact. I have raced many a WRX and won every time in my S4. I also recently chipped my S4. I raced a WRX in town that had a front mount intercooler, bigger badder turbo...the works basically. We only raced from a rolling start of 60 mph but I still walked away from the guy both times. The first time I didn't even downshift...I stayed in fifth and slowly walked away...the second time I did downshift and pulled a bit harder on him. The guy was so disheartened I gave his money back. The WRX is a great car, but is in a completely different league then the S4. Spend a couple more thousand dollars and you can have the refinement of the S4 and the power and torque as well. In the meantime...stop referring to C&D magazine who I'm sure had their pockets nicely lined with the Subie's advertisement teams total budget.
    Gin and Tonic Demonic!

Originally posted by Suparu

This 1.8T was quick, and I don't believe it is the 180HP engine since this was a while back. The 180HP and 150HP engine are identical, but they have a different turbocharger. I think they can extract more from their turbo then we can from ours.
    The pre 2001 A4 1.8T is rated at 150 HP. The 2001 A4 1.8T is rated at 170HP. This was acheived by adding variable valve timing and changing the compression ratio of the engine. The turbo in the 2001 1.8T remains the same. The 2002 A4 1.8T is rated at 180 HP, but it is also heavier. The 2002 A4 1.8T feels slower in acceleration than a 2001 1.8T.

But back to the topic:

All comparisons assume manual tranny (there shouldn't even be any other option)

Stock WRX vs Stock 2001 A4 1.8T Please. This isn't a race. WRX tromps all over a stock A4

Stock WRX vs Chipped A4 1.8T ($500 mod: 205 HP, 245 ft/lb torque). Ok, it's a little closer, but WRX still easily triumphs.

Stock WRX vs Stage 3 A4 1.8T ($5k, 300 HP). Heheh.. finally the A4 wins. :-p

Stock WRX vs Stock S4. 1st and 2nd it's whoever got the better launch (driver + tires). 3rd on up the S4 pulls. It's close, but S4 is definite winner. Anyone who thinks otherwise has not raced their *stock* WRX against an S4 being driven by someone who knows how to drive.

Stock WRX vs Chipped S4. 1st is close, 2nd the S4 is starting to pull away, 3rd: the S4 is running away, 4th Where'd that S4 go? (ok, a little exageration but you get the idea)

I can't speak for a modified WRX as I have never ridden in or driven a modified one.

For those who compare $ to $. You have $40k. Buy an S4 and leave it stock, or buy a WRX and mod the hell out of it. There's no question here. This WRX would be an S4 eater (stock S4 at least).

The WRX is a sweeet car. I'm very happy Subaru has finally brought us this rally bred champ! I'm waiting to see the STi hit our shores too! I've driven the WRX multiple times, and each time have been impressed by the performance and "tossability" of the car. It loves to 4 wheel drift around the corner, and continues to ask for more!

IMO, the S4 and WRX attract different buyers, as the price points are so far off. In addition, they are very different cars. The S4 is more comfortable, smoother, and quieter.

It would be more reasonable to assume a car buyer is comparing a WRX to an A4 (a typical car buyer looks at cars with similar pricing). In this case, they're choosing between performance (WRX) or comfort (A4). (Not to say the WRX is not comfortable, just that the A4 is more so)

Just 2 cents from an A4 1.8T owner. :-)

-Jordan
    Last edited by jprice; 02-19-2002 at 08:42 PM.

I just have to reply

Geez - even registered and everything to do this! Anyway, first thing is first. The reason I am here is 2 fold: 1 - saw a link at Audiworld; 2 - interested because I did run a "moderately modified" (his words) WRX - yes I won (more later) but not by as much as I usually do or expected. I just wanted to find out more about your great cars.

Forget magazine articles. Just look at the BMW numbers - get real. My last car was an M3, I know. The reason the S4 does so well at STREET races is that it NEVER breaks traction, has gobs of low end torque (for even bad drivers to be in the power band) and you don't MISS SHIFTS! Christ, how many excuses of missed shifts did I just read! Of course C&D had great numbers for both cars after 20 or so runs and taking the best! The same reason your scoobie can take a V8 pony car (traction) is the same reason with the S4 - just add in a bit more refinement and ease. The extra money at least buys you that. Is it worth the money - of course not; but that is the never ending excuse. You guys have fun cars (I finally test drove a bone stock one alone at a dealer), but geez the interior (and exterior)! I guess Subaru had to save some money somehow? But hey, I look through the world with rose colored, high speed goggles (there are much better looking cars than my S4 at $42K as well).

Yes, my S4 is modded (aren't most?) with a chip and exhaust (about 320hp and 360 lb/ft.) with 18 inch tires (lighter than stock). But that is it. Takes my kids around in the snow, my wife to the ballet with no regrets from the valet, is very comfortable and quite fast. You guys should stick to ralleys where your big headlights and light, tossable weight will help. God knows, most S4 drivers would never imagine doing that

Enjoy your cars - you guys seem to at least have a reality check. The S2000 board is hilarious (loads of torque there). I would like nothing better than witnessing a WRX destroy an S2000 (in a drag race of course, forget the track). I will enjoy meeting any one of you on the road Hope you don't miss a shift......

You guys talk about S4's as much as the S4 folks talk about WRX's on Audiworld. I have to say that WRX's get much respect on that board (same for S4's here for the most part).

For a first hand look at a "chipped" S4 at the strip, check this site and look under "12secS4" on the menu (left side of screen)
    http://www.giacusa.com/
    you'll see the modifications to the car there

100 octane is required with this chip for its ignition timing map.
    The "X chip" will run on 91 octane and is a little slower but runs the same boost.
    The program is a $600 mod for the car.

I see alot of back and forth about the two cars but all in all, they seem pretty even out of the box in the performance area, even with equivalent $ in mods.

The extra cost and weight of the S4 does contribute in a positive way that you have to experience to enjoy. It is a very fast, smooth, quiet ride (stock). Removing weight from the Audi is common and effective way to make them go faster. Slimming them down by more than 300lbs is not difficult and puts them in the 3250 lb range. These are common mods even if your car isn't on a diet and are worth 0.3 - 0.4sec in the quarter for this car since, yes, they are heavy cars made up of heavy parts.

There is always someone faster than you, the fun is finding out for yourself not talking smack from your bedroom on your computer! I do love reading kill stories but arguing about it is just silly.

I have never ridden in a WRX so I can't really compare the two from experience. Anyone in Cherry Hill, NJ (yep, Subaru NA headquarters) wanna take me for a ride in their's, let me know.

dug-e-fresh

im the guy with s4 are you the same guy that ran me the night i ran the c5 vette at metro we were at the shell i think you are talking about me the car is chipped with an x chip by garret and has baileys dv that is it . was wondering if you are thinking you could ever beat this car . i am always willing to run a slow wrx any takers !!! what are all you guys 1/4 mile times . if you think you will beat give it try. ok im done venting .one more thing when i had frist got the car i wanted to run one just to see what i would do also at metro i beat it by 4 cars i dont see how you think they will beat an s4 there is no chance get off the mags they never tell the whole truth .. ok im done let the flames begin

I have a friend with an S4 who only has a ABT Chip and Cat-Back Exhaust. He ran a 13.2.

I have another friend with KO4 turbo upgrades and should be running 12s. Beats E46 M3s, M5s, Supercharged S2000s, C5s, NSXs (dusted my friend's, '95)...etc.

Anyways, for anyone with a WRX who runs roughly 13.2, what mods do you have? and how much did you spend?

Everyone I know with a Chipped S4 runs low-mid 13s. I also know someone who has a Chipped A6 and ran a 13.6.

Low end, with a good driver, a WRX can hang, but from a roll or top speed, it goes to the S4.

Also, any stock WRX ever pull high 13s stock?

S4 is slow.

Dunno if we get a less powerful model here, but as I have stated here before, they aren't that fast. The best anyone has got out of an Audi S4 down under is a quarter of 14.6 sec. Not too crash hot. It has 195kw, which is 255 or so hp.
    Also, I challenge any of those super, super, super quick chipped S4's to a race, as long a you can make the trip to Australia (hehehehe)

anyway, just having some fun. cheers.

Welcome all the Audi owners!

Well, looks like 7 Audi owners registered to this board just to reply to this thread Welcome to the board guys. I think S4s are sweet ass cars and it's also great to have people from other forums cuz we can get diverse opinions from different group of people. Heck, if I had $40k to spend on a new car, I would've definitely considered a S4. I just couldn't afford one as a college student. lol..

I would love to race a S4 if I see one on the road. My car's not heavily modified by no means(not yet ), but I think it'll be a fun race regardless of the outcome.

n2trble111 and wrx_killers4, you said you're always willing to run any WRXs on this board, right? How about you race against Nathan(nmyeti) or Dan(God) on this board? Search around this board for their user name. You'll find some information about their cars and what WRXs are capable of.

Ooooops!!!

Oh yeah!! I forgot to mention about Wrex4Life!! I saw that you posted right before I posted. hehe

dug-e-fresh

im the guy with s4 are you the same guy that ran me the night i ran the c5 vette at metro we were at the shell i think you are talking about me the car is chipped with an x chip by garret and has baileys dv that is it . was wondering if you are thinking you could ever beat this car . i am always willing to run a slow wrx any takers !!! what are all you guys 1/4 mile times . if you think you will beat give it try. ok im done venting .one more thing when i had frist got the car i wanted to run one just to see what i would do also at metro i beat it by 4 cars i dont see how you think they will beat an s4 there is no chance get off the mags they never tell the whole truth .. ok im done let the flames begin
    Yeah, that was me.... we had a good discussion that night, why the attitude now? Why are you venting?... Knowones talking $hit about the S4. The closest comment for me was when I said that S4's weren't king.... I hardly think that means they are crap though...

Did I not describe that night accurately? Truth of the matter is, we had a close race... I screwed up, and you won. Dude, its not like I ever lied about that fact, you beat me. I just believe that had I been driving my best (launch, shifting) it would have been alot closer.

Also, any stock WRX ever pull high 13s stock?
    Yes, others have... me, I was very very mildly modified. I ran a 13.710 with just an EBC, and it was set to stock boost, 14.3 psi.

With what I have now, I should run a 13.4 or better at 100mph+.

Stock to Stock.... its a drivers race no matter how you look at. Over 100mph.... go ahead give it to the Audi...afterall it does possess a 6 speed and overall better gear ratios....it had better do better as a result!
    I gave it to the S4, whys everyone mad?

From my actual experience, I highly respect the S4... but I do not fear it by no means......
    Look, I dont fear anything this side of 13 seconds. Hell I have even raced a Viper, beat it to the 330' mark at the track. I didnt fear it until it hooked up.....and well then its buy buy time.... I have raced an 11 sec Supra for fun! and an 11 sec Eclipse for that matter.......I fear nothing... maybe I should, eh?

What specifically has upset the S4 owners that they feel so compelled to post here? Nothing but the truth has been spoken on my part. And the rest has remained pretty neutral...

the night i ran the c5 vette
    That C5 was a convertible auto. I have ran a C5 hatch (lighter) w/auto and beat it to 110mph, and that was before some of my upgrades......I believe thats where auto C5s shine, top end, even more than your Audi....you had him, but he was gaining....same experience I have had with 'em.... Auto C5s are sooo $hitty off the line.... any AWD car with over 200hp had better be winning through at least 1st gear.........

Anyways, for anyone with a WRX who runs roughly 13.2, what mods do you have? and how much did you spend?
    A friend of mine had Turboback exhaust, turbo upgrade and was "chipped" and tuned. He ran a 13.2 with a 2.1 60'. He could have easily ran a 12. Like a 12.8 or 12.9... Its all in the launch. He should have pulled a 1.8-1.9 60' foot. Rule of thumb says that for every tenth in the 60', it equals 2 tenths in the quarter.... do the math. I think his total investment was about $2700. $ 1k for the exhaust, $1k for the turbo, $700 for the Unichip.

I think for me to run a 13.2 (if I dont now... will know Friday!!), all I need is a downpipe and perhaps intercooler hoses, and then of course a re-tune of my chip to match the new pieces. That would bring my performance $$ total to about $2000.

There is always someone faster than you, the fun is finding out for yourself not talking smack from your bedroom on your computer!
    Yeah, sooo true....but, your not saying I am talking smack are you...

Ok- this is what I am going to do... I am going to invite you S4 owners to the track up here at Cecil County Dragway. This friday. The gates open at 5pm, racing starts at 5:30-6pm. There are going to be at least 15 or so WRXs, all in various states of tune... many of which I have no doubt will run in the 12s. So gather up your chips and such....and come on up.

Cecil County Dragway Link

Racing goes til about 11:30pm, it costs only $10 to race and for friends tagging along, $8 to spectate.

Lets see what you guys got... and you can see what we got!!

Doug

Re: Welcome all the Audi owners!

Originally posted by TristineLim

n2trble111 and wrx_killers4, you said you're always willing to run any WRXs on this board, right? How about you race against Nathan(nmyeti) or Dan(God) on this board? Search around this board for their user name. You'll find some information about their cars and what WRXs are capable of.
    I didn't post to downplay the Scoobie. The WRX is a great car and actually, I'm trying to convince my little brother into getting one at the momment . The thing that upsets me though is all the kids you see buying a WRX who THINK they know how to drive. Also, all the people who refer to C&D in the case of the S4 and misshifts for their loses against one . Stock for Stock a S4 will be a WRX. There is absolutely no comparision between the two cars in HP, Torque, and Refinement. The point is that the WRX is a totally different car. You can easily mod your WRX and have a hell of a car that will smoke the tires off a S4 (maybe, smoke em off a stock s4...definately). Very very few S4 owners are willing to take their S4 offroad. I'd love to take a WRX offroad, that little car kicks some arse. Anywhos, I love the WRX and I love the S4...if I had a choice I'd take both...but I can only afford the S4 at the momment.
    Gin and Tonic Demonic!

I would love to own a S4 along with my WRX, too! But my wallet wouldn't allow it at the moment. Some day..

The WRX shifts very nice... my car came with the STi linkage option (short shifter).

The gates are short and close together...

The mis-shifts are excuses for loosing. Perhaps they shouldn't be, but they are. How many races have I saw where it came down to who missed the shift? I cant even count.

Anyway... I do not like to use that as an excuse... talking to n2trble111 I never mentioned it.

I am not one of those guys who when they lose try to take away from the persons victory by feeding them excuses. No.... I saved that for ClubWRX... and really, I would have not posted about that had this topic not came up... but the truth came out and the truth it is.....

No matter... I only spoke of 2 mis-shifts. One against the A4, I just bought the car!!

and 2, against an S4.... I screwed up!

Like I said before, dont blame the car, blame the driver!

Doug

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.