WRX vs. S4 Part II - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. S4 Part II within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 7nth_Son A stock S4 will hand you your ass if your WRX is stock. I'm not sure how Car & ...

7nth_Son A stock S4 will hand you your ass if your WRX is stock. I'm not sure how Car & Driver arrived at the conclusion that the WRX is faster. My friend's 2000 S4 pulls away from my WRX at pretty much any speed.
    Dude, are you driving an automatic?

Even stock, vs. Stock, the S4 does not "hand you your ass" it may be a little quicker above the 80mph zone........and might win... but a lot of this really depends on the drivers... anything can happen!

And besides, with a $30 mbc, you can change all that..., of course so can they....

Who knows... I'm happy with the way the WRX beat on them.....

My new turbo isn't in yet either......

I'll be hunting some heavily modded stangs soon.... he he he
    02 Blaze Yellow WRX >>> 04 STi >>> 05 300c SRT8 w/100 shot >>> 06 EVO IX ... I'm loving it!!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wizardblack,

That would be the Audi S4, the topic which is the discussion of the thread you posted the question in.

-Jim

Let him have it penguinking!

Registered User Quantum-Racing.com's Avatar
    That is what I thought, but I figured I would ask a few WReXers who have run into one. Just making sure.
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Home of the Dynapack AWD Dyno
    Sales Email, Tech Email

I raced a modded S4, either a 2000 or 2001.... he was fully chipped with a completely reflashed ECU and had upgraded metal BOV (recirc style). The stock ones are plastci like the 2gen DSMs and dont hold much more boost than the stock 10psi. He told me he was now running about 15psi (1bar) off his bi-turbo system. About what I was running.

I was told by the guy that he was making 60 more hp and 100! more tq than stock. That would put him at ~310/350 at the flywheel. Me, I have a boost controller (SBC i-D) and Vishnu Stage 0.... puts me around 260 - 270 at the flywheel.

Anyway the races: We ran 2 times. He would beat me off the line (I normally launch much better, oh well).... I pulled just a bit in 1st and 2nd. Then we would be about even....he would maintain his 1/2 car lead.....but then I missed 4th and he pulled hard.....

2nd run was about the same, with a worse launch on my part but without the missed shift. Honestly, had I been driving my best that night, I think I could have taken him. He was a really cool guy and I did not try to feed him the excuses I am feeding you guys. I lost....but I know I could do better.... soooo next time may be a different story...... he he he he

Doug
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

My WRX is a manual.

For what it's worth, both of our cars had 3 passengers. His S4 also had his 17" summer wheels in the trunk! Still, his S4 pulls away easily. Both cars are stock.

His car has a bigger engine with more torque, so this shouldn't be surprising. Sure, I could tell all of my passengers to empty their pockets and go on a diet before riding in my car, but let's geat real.

I'm very happy with my WRX, but I know it isn't as fast as an S4. I know C&D had some figures that favored the WRX, but I've also seen several other magazine tests and articles that show the S4 having faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. WRX owners are quick to point to the C&D review, but quickly dismiss any reviews showing faster S4 times. Check out the Edmunds reviews of both cars. There's more to speed than 0-60 anyways. Try racing an S4 from 0-100 and see what happens. Remember, I'm talking STOCK. Sure an MBC could change things.

A proud WRX owner,
    BC

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    alright, i think we can agree that concerning drag times, the wrx and s4 are relatively the same, and stock performance isnt significantly different. the one thing that does separate the wrx is the PRICE. drop 2k on your rex and you'll have 0-60 times in the low 5's, and 1/4 in the 13's. it doenst take much to get alot out of the car. plus, who would actually go rallying in their s4?

Well I'm sick of beating a dead horse. The simple answer for why the other magazine stats are invalid is because the atmospheric conditons at which the test for each car is done are extremely variable. If you test the WRX at 4000 ft elevation @100 Degrees F. and teh S4 at 2000/ 40 degrees F. The differences are astronomical.
    The CD test was head -to-head. Try launching aggresively @5k or so. You can take the S4.

Launch agressively at 5K? I'll be looking at the internals of my tranny spread out on the pavement in my rear view mirror!

Launch agressively at 5K? I'll be looking at the internals of my tranny spread out on the pavement in my rear view mirror!
    This is just not so. If you know how to drive your car and launch it properly you should not have a bit of worry doing so at 4 to 5k. Statements like above are why the WRX is gaining an unfounded reputation of having a glass tranny.

Any tranny will break if you abuse it too much. On an AWD tranny 1st and 2nd gear will recieve alot more stress than a FWD and RWD counterpart would upon acceleration from a stop. The point is to redirect the stress to the clutch.

By doing so you may wear your clutch faster, but I would rather it be that than 1st or 2nd gear.

Doug
    Last edited by dug-e-fresh; 02-11-2002 at 05:29 AM.
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

Ah...
    Thy weakness has come to light seventh-one....

"One must not be afraid of thy sword, or else thy sword mayest cutith the."
    -Shake-yo-ass-spere, 02

There is a lot of paper racing going on here....

I don't care what Car and Driver says, the S4 is a much faster car overall. From a roll, especially from a roll, the S4 is deadly. Now we are talking stock here, no exhaust, boost controller or anything of anykind here. I know this because my neighbor has a Blue S4 and I drove his car a few times to compare, and the feeling is just not the same.

The amount of torque on that car in the mid-range is huge! If you took a S4 from the roll it might be because he was in a lower gear and didn't bother to up shift, but in my personal experience it wouldn't have made too much of a difference. 5.4, 5.5, these are very tiny differences and I just don' think we always raced against a bad driver.

The Audi can flat out run on the top end, and it pulls away from the WRX with a fury. I like my car, but like someone said it here before, it is not a S4 killer.

Bingo Suparu!

The WRX is a great car, but a different class than the S4.

I was in my friend's S4 today, and that thing pulls like mad!

He's on the verge of chipping his car, so the gap will widen more in a little while.

Originally posted by Suparu
    The Audi can flat out run on the top end, and it pulls away from the WRX with a fury. I like my car, but like someone said it here before, it is not a S4 killer.
    Oh but just invest half the difference in the base car costs back into the WRX and it can be.

It would stll lack the quiet ride and leather seating, but most WRX owners wouldn't give a rat's butt about that anyway.
    - 02 WRX
    - 91 Impulse RS AWD Turbo

Originally posted by AWDTurboNut

Oh but just invest half the difference in the base car costs back into the WRX and it can be.

It would stll lack the quiet ride and leather seating, but most WRX owners wouldn't give a rat's butt about that anyway.
    True,

I don't care about the cowhide and the few hundred pounds of sound absorber. But out of the box was the comparison, and I think that would be an objective comparison. I have a boost controller set to 16 psi, and it does kick butt but not the real thing. The STi would be a true performance contender against the S4 pound for pound. We'll get to brag about it when it gets here, but I hope the new S4 doesn't one up the Subaru group.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.