Checked out an EVO VIII today at the Dealer...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Checked out an EVO VIII today at the Dealer... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First impression was very good. Just walking up on it I noticed the BIG brembo's and 17in enkie's. You could ...

Checked out an EVO VIII today at the Dealer...

First impression was very good. Just walking up on it I noticed the BIG brembo's and 17in enkie's. You could deffinatley tell that the stock WRX is not as performance oriented as the EVO,(note I said WRX not STi)

The interior was strikingly similar, the seats felt as supportive as the WRX, fabric was almost identical w/ graphite colored sides and a blueish pattern for the rest of the seat. Interior quality overall was no-better/worse, guages were a little cooler but I liked the layout of the WRX dash/stereo and center console better.

Then engine was "cooler-looking" as the standard lay-person would see it. However, the intake plumbing from the IC to the TB seemd cheap, almost like spraypainted aluminum. I dunno, thats just something that struck me as I approached the engine bay.

Overall, looks like a very sweet car, the front is more agressive than the WRX specially with that FMIC DOH!.

The whole experience was a water-fall of motivation to heavily modify my WRX
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Greddy: EGT, Boost, Oil Press Gauges
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OH YEA,

It was yellow.

And if this is an indication of something, I am unsure....

The dealer actually had two!?!??!. NOW when I went to a Subie dealer, they already have pre-made orders for any and all STi's that come in.

While the Mitsu dealer said there were only 3 EVO's sold in the whole Philadelphia area thus far, and they have had no orders/ purchases of their EVO's two weeks into their appearance at their dealership?

I hope the public arround here catches on
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

Good...they're ugly!
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

Originally posted by RLsChMiDt
    Good...they're ugly!
    i find it funny when wrxers say that about the evo
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Originally posted by dukmahsik
    I find it funny when non-wrxers find it funny when someone says this on a WRX board.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

Originally posted by Bask Oner
    I find it funny when non-wrxers find it funny when someone says this on a WRX board.
    Own3d!!!
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

Smile

Originally posted by dukmahsik
    I hear you man, I bought my wagon because it was practical and fast. I definitely didn't buy it for looks .

I find it really funny when WRX owners say the Neon looks ugly... .
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Originally posted by Bask Oner
    haha
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Originally posted by LukeWRX
    The dealer actually had two!?!??!. NOW when I went to a Subie dealer, they already have pre-made orders for any and all STi's that come in.

While the Mitsu dealer said there were only 3 EVO's sold in the whole Philadelphia area thus far, and they have had no orders/ purchases of their EVO's two weeks into their appearance at their dealership?

I hope the public arround here catches on
    Oh trust me, the public IS aware. Let me give you the skinny on this situation. Mitsu claimed from day 1 that all Evos were going to be "less than $30k". Then as soon as the dealers start getting them, they're all like "Ooooh look, we're greedy bastards! We know everyone wants this car so we're going to mark it up 5-10 THOUSAND dollars!" Some even stooped so low as to a 20k markup. Thats why people aren't buying them right away. Those interested heard their dealers were getting them, went to check it out, saw the markup, then promptly told the dealership where they could shove it.

Now some speculate that the dealers did such so that they could keep them in the showrooms long enough to draw a crowd and attract some business, which is a valid point. I also know that it's not Mitsu's fault because dealers are allowed to mark up whatever they see fit, etc. And don't go pulling the ol "supply and demand" argument on me. I took economics in college and it doesn't apply here. If that were the case then Mitsu would be shelling out more than the claimed 6000 Evos to the states, or whatever the number was. I believe the demand is there, just people aren't willing to pay a markup when Mitsu told them all along "under 30k." i agree with those folks.

Whew, my 2, what a long-winded bunghole i am.
    -Kramit
    '03 EvoVIII (Apex Silver)

Ahh, yes Kramit.

I noticed that with this particular Evo. The sticker price was $30,000 u.s.

However there was another sticker on the passenger side front window that said: "dealer installed options 5,000, total price 35,700"

There were no dealer options on the car.
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

Originally posted by Shaitiger
    I hear you man, I bought my wagon because it was practical and fast. I definitely didn't buy it for looks .

I find it really funny when WRX owners say the Neon looks ugly... .

Why do you find it funny? I bought my WRX because I liked the way it looks, I don't like the way the Neon looks. People have a right to their own opinion. I wish people would just shut up with this "WRX owners calling other cars ugly" crap. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

i think the WRX looks better than the Neon, although there are some similarities...don't get me wrong.

i just think the whole Dodge-huge-grill thing is nasty....and the wheel gap in the back is huge...more than the front. looks odd to me. the back of it is ok, but overall, nah...not my style.
    Originally posted by AbACUZ
    im new in here, I am AbACUZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by AbACUZ
    No where, is my style diferent, yes, I am AbACUZ.

I think my WRX looks bad@ss. It didn't look as cool stock of course...

The EVO is funny looking to me. The tails are borderline embarassing... like APC parts. The dealer here had a silver and a yellow initially... the silver sold, now they still have the yellow and there is a blue one on the showroom floor. It doesn't appear to me like these things are selling like hotcakes. I need to actually go inside the place and see what kind of outlandish markup they want...
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

Neon SRT-4 looks like a chick car on roids.

WRX looks exactly like it should...like a rally car. Same with the Evo 8.

So I finally stopped by to take a look at the Evo. Went to the Tustin, CA dealer and the sales guy was pretty bad...as he tried to point out its various features and potential capabilities in a non-enthusiastic way. Didn't matter as I tuned him out as soon as he said "there he is" (hehehe, huh). Anyhow, nuff about him...my take on the car. I like the bulging fenders and actually the hood looks a lot better in person. In pictures it tacky to me. So from the front & side it's pretty sharp. As for the rear...hate it. I hate the apc looking tailights and that picnic table on the trunk. The wing is nicely made of carbon fiber but it just doesn't work with us older guys (perhaps that's the problem?).

As for the interior, the seats are simply awsome. You have to be a narrow body though as I'm small and felt the side bolsters touching both sides. Damn they were sharp. The steering wheels is pretty cool. It is a momo that almost looks like one of their quick release types, but it's got a small airbag. The dash layout was clean and it all looked pretty good. But when you consider the cost and what is under the hood, something has to give. In this case the interior plastic is cheap. As the sales guy was showing me how you can raise or lower the lights manually from a thumbwheel on the left side of the dash, I could see the plastic ring around the knob move around. Also, not sure what's up with the manual option to do this (rally thing?). The brembo brakes look damn hot and I'm sure they'll shut the thing down pretty quickly.

Sadly, I didn't get to drive one as they had three and all were buttoned up in the showroom...so I didn't even ask. These all had Lo-Jack, some B.S. clear coat for like $1200, and some other option for a couple hundred (can't remember). And of course there was a mark up...in this case $4999. It seems they had a $10k markup but it's dropped...and the conversation was leaning towards how the current markup could probably be worked down too. When I mentioned the STI he countered with the Evo 9 which is supposedly coming out that will have more horsepower than the STI. He couldn't elaborate on the timeline which means he probably was pulling this out of his arse.

All in all a cool car, but I'm not sure its $38k cool...or even $31k cool.

T.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast