EVO 8 in Sport Compact Car

This is a discussion on EVO 8 in Sport Compact Car within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all, So, today I got my shiny new issue of Sport Compact Car. In the issue they have an ...

EVO 8 in Sport Compact Car

Hello all,
    So, today I got my shiny new issue of Sport Compact Car. In the issue they have an article titled 24 Hours With An Evo. They had it dyon'ed and got 240 hp at the wheels?!?! And managed to run a bet time of a 13.34 in the 1/4 mile. Now I read Vishnu's results on their dyno of the Evo and getting 180(about 190 with 93 octane), and in every other magazine I believe the best time it ran was a 13.8(Road & Track I believe). Something about these numbers of theirs sound fishy, can you say ringer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I was just going to say that your source is a magazine that can dyno an intake at +20 hp on any car so whose to say they don't have "interesting" methods of measuring hp... and maybe a downhill track w/ a bad stop watch.
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

take mag's with a grain of salt. the best test is for a respected member or tuner to do it not some mag that wants to sell. perhaps just get in and beat on it and post a review of it. that usually works too.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Shiv's dyno is notorious for low results. There are two very distinct ways of gettin info from the drums. I cannot explain those, as I do not totally understand the science behind them. Somebody in here most likely does, maybe they will edjumicate me.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

personally i wont believe the results fully unless i do the test myself. different people different drivers.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Read wHAT THE SCC editor said.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...threadid=16671

Hi Guys,

Dave Coleman, senior tech editor for SCC mag, drove up to our testing facility today to dyno their long-term project EVO that the just took delivery of (directly from Mitsubishi) a few days ago. Yesterday, on HKS's all-wheel drive Dynojet, it put down 230 wheel hp. This is approx. 10 wheel hp lower than the pre-production EVO VIII they tested a few months back (but reviewed recently in SCC). Peak hp numbers aside, the power differential at 7200rpm was a whopping 35 wheel hp.

Today, it dyno'd on our Dyno Dynamics dyno at 200 wheel hp. Or about 20 wheel hp more than every other EVO 8 that we've dyno'd since its release. I suspect the pre-production car would have made nearly 210 wheel hp on our dyno.

So... in summary, the production cars we've tested seem to be making 20 horsepower less than the ringer SCC Project EVO which makes approximately 10 wheel hp less than the pre-production super-ringer test car reviewed by the magazines.

Thought you guys might find this interesting, but somewhat dissappointing. I knew from the moment I drove the car on the street that it was something special. FWIW, it had a Dec. 02 build date, making it the oldest car we've tested.

This brings back memories of the mid-90s when Mazda, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Toyota were providing ringer cars for magazine testing. The most notorious was the Supra which was secretly shod with R-compound tires that looked stock OE. It was also substantially more powerful than any Supra tested since then. Looks like Mitsubishi might be doing the same thing (at least as far as hp goes).

Best Regards,
    Shiv

PS. All tests were conducted on 91 octane.