Civilized Mustang GT vs WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Civilized Mustang GT vs WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Around 0930, I see a White (current body style) Mustang behind me that appeared to have some GT or Cobra ...

Civilized Mustang GT vs WRX

Around 0930, I see a White (current body style) Mustang behind me that appeared to have some GT or Cobra wheels. We were at a stoplight and he was behind me so I figured I would sorta get on it just to see if he would try to keep up. I did and he stayed probably 4-6 car lengths behind me for a long time even when he could have got into the lane next to me.

We approach a light and the scene became pretty predictable- he carefully pulled to the left of my car and I dropped my window (as I saw this coming). I asked what he had done to his car and he said he had a new exhaust. The new exhaust exited under his doors instead of under the rear bumper and the old exhaust was in his trunk. He then said "I can give you a run if you want" very nonchalantly. I said "of course". (THE ROAD WAS RIDICULOUSLY STRAIGHT AND CLEAR). I launched the car very well, and this guy did an equally good job especially given the platform. We were neck and neck through 1st. With every gear change he pulled like a beast. Through 3rd his car's front bumper was at my front door, and then came the dreaded 4th. He shifted into 4th and I swear the thing lunged forward like animal and growled also. I shut it off as he was about 2-3 car lengths in front of me in 4th.

As we were flying along He gave me a big thumbs up and said that is awesome for a four cylinder, asked what I had if anything. I told him about my CAI and the MBC that's in the mail (his eyes got big and he grinned when I spoke of the MBC). I told him maybe then it be closer. With a smile I of course returned the respect. We drove up the same dead road for about a mile more. He gave a peace sign- I returned it and got onto the highway.

I would like to see more encounters like this. It was done safely with out any potential for weaving and Bull S--t. I hate that s--t. Respect/compliment was given both ways. The guy was a very civilized representative of the domestic crowd. A real asset to them.

AJ
    "You have to let it all go; fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free...your mind."

You can run, but between my Glock and My WRX- you will only die tired.

2002 Black WRX Sedan RIP 08.24.04
    2005 Black WRX STi 09.14.04

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That guy sounds hella cool. A lotta A holes out here, nice race though.

WRX

Re: Civilized Mustang GT vs WRX

Originally posted by Twanz02WRX
    The guy was a very civilized representative of the domestic crowd. A real asset to them.
    I chuckled at that line.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

Thank you kindly, XtianLA

Good run. Sounds like the mustang just had exhaust and that was it period. Kinda rare these days..

Yah you might have even won without the CAI
    -Andrew

Does any one else think I may have won without the CAI?

Can I just take off one of the arms to make it a short ram? Would this still be "slower" than stock?

Thanks
    AJ

Im no super expert. But most people tend to think that you lose power with a CAI in a stock or lightly modded WRX because it runs lean.

The other big argument is that the air comes in the intake, then goes through the turbo which heats it up, then its up to the intercooler to cool it down some. So what is the point of a CAI when the air is just heated up after that anyways? So its probably better to have a short ram, which I am under the impression that you gain more torque and Hp because of less pipe and more air able to come in.

Although. I am not tring to preach like I know everything. This is all stuff I just pick up from reading the forums.
    -Andrew

The MAF Sensor just gets confused by it causing the ecu to make incorrect compensations...
    VS1/TXSII Hybrid (RIP)

Me: I hit a highway divider at 120...
    Stupid Cousin: Is that a bad thing?

So? Keep the CAI or try to take one arm off so it will be a Short Ram? Someone told me that was the difference between the two of them. Please exvcuse my ignorance.

AJ

The CAI really would have made 0 difference in that race. Maybe a couple HP at best, but intakes, espcially on an otherwise stock car basically do nothing. With the MBC on the other hand, there is a chance you could have even won the race. I pulled consistent high 13's with just an MBC at 16psi, which is about what a GT with exhaust would run too! In regards to converting the CAI to a short ram (Short rams are indeed better for the WRX) I wouldn't do it unless it's the Perrin intake that is designed to be used as either a CAI or SRI. If it were me, I'd just sell the CAI and buy an up-pipe. You'll really start seeing some power over stock then, and you'll also be running safer with higher boost.

K&N also makes a CAI/short ram intake
    -Andrew

Sounds like a cool guy.

Thanks Schaf100,

Can YOU or anyone else answer this question: Using the stock boost gauge what is the equivalent to 15, 15.5, and 16 PSI?

Thanks
    AJ

0.1 mpa is equal to 14.5

0.11 mpa is equal to about 15.9

you want somewhere inbetween.
    VS1/TXSII Hybrid (RIP)

Me: I hit a highway divider at 120...
    Stupid Cousin: Is that a bad thing?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.