GTI vs. WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on GTI vs. WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm pretty sure it's a GTI, they are a little taller than ur standard Golf right? Anyways, don't know if ...

GTI vs. WRX

I'm pretty sure it's a GTI, they are a little taller than ur standard Golf right? Anyways, don't know if it was stock or not, but he has it looking pretty dope. 1.8 or VR6 I don't know about either. But I'm go through a light in 2nd at around 20 and I see him a little behind me in the right lane, we're both clear for the race. He's on my bumper and I immediately pick it up and take about 1 car, by the end of 3rd I had like 2-3 cars. Shut down I think somewhere around 60mph.

It was a good race I'm stock, don't know much about his car. I'm planning on gettin to work on my car real soon. So far I'm looking at:

TXS Turboback (no cats)
    prolly a joep mbc (don't know about a UTEC this soon, want it tuned it a dyno if I do)
    Uppipe, prolly the autospeed with the flex joint

With those mods anyone got an estimated hp gain?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

On an upipe and a downpipe your looking at about 40 hp gain with both.I would look into a tubo xs utec that will give an extra 30 right off. It does a lot more stuff the more you add to your car the more hp you can gain from the utec plus from what you get from what you add.
    02 Blue WRX Sedan<---Gone but not Forgotten!!!!
    05 WR Blue WRX Sti <---- coming soon

I think 40 hp is a bit much, most full exhaust only give 30hp. I doubt 40hp just for up and downpipe, but maybe you know of an exhaust i dont.

I had a run in with an '03 GTI a couple times in town here. Same guy both times. He is a cool guy. We chatted a little at the lights and would run after they turned green. My stock WRX was faster in every situation (unless he had an ungodly jump on me). His GTI is a 1.8T. Damn those turbos are loud. He said he was stock too. Nice car. We eventually got to run with a modified SI. We both smoked the SI. I even gave him a pretty lead at a stop sign and he pushed and pushed that car to no avail! He turned off quickly while I and the GTI continued to race around!
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

tan
    GTI's are 2 doors only.

Golf GL are also available in 2 doors.

GTI's get 16" rims as standard equipment

I'll tell ya one thing... I think it is the GTi's with the VR6 engine.... Those things sound SOOOOO good with an exhaust system on them...soo smooth sounding. Almost sounds like a straight six engine. There is a guy on campus with one of those on Audi S4 rims and the thing looks really nice. Sporty and pimp at the same time I would like to have a run with him sometime though....
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Originally posted by DEADPOOL
    I think 40 hp is a bit much, most full exhaust only give 30hp. I doubt 40hp just for up and downpipe, but maybe you know of an exhaust i dont.
    From what I have heard, catless turboback gives 30HP, while the uppipe is good for spoolup and another 8HP......
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

30hp, with tuning. Correct?
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Re: GTI vs. WRX

Originally posted by XtianLA
    ...............by the end of 3rd I had like 2-3 cars. Shut down I think somewhere around 60mph..............
    if you're at the end of 3rd......how'd u shut it down at 60? by the end of third, you should be close the 85-90 range.....i can pull to 60 by the end of 2nd
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Maybe he meant 90...

Most people know that the chips available to us do wonders... how come you guys don't get the same results... I've heard that chipping your cars is a pain and you get little results like 10hp.. I'm not quoting anybody with those numbers ..

So what is the deal...

Originally posted by whodeani
    Most people know that the chips available to us do wonders... how come you guys don't get the same results... I've heard that chipping your cars is a pain and you get little results like 10hp.. I'm not quoting anybody with those numbers ..

So what is the deal...

Chips suck and are generic, wheather for a VW or a Subaru.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Re: Re: GTI vs. WRX

Originally posted by capt'n'caveman
    if you're at the end of 3rd......how'd u shut it down at 60? by the end of third, you should be close the 85-90 range.....i can pull to 60 by the end of 2nd
    I shifted into second kinda early, and we were on a usually busy street, so what I meant was I basically slowed down and ended the race somewhere around 60.

i used to own a 97 GTI VR6 miss it somtimes, i just had bolt on's chip, intake , cat back exhaust and my best time was 14.9 in the 1/4 mile so my WRX is still slightly faster stock both awsome cars though

Originally posted by whodeani

So what is the deal...
    dude,I dunno where pulled that 10hp figure from. for $999 you can get the turboxs UTEC stage one (stage1= piggyback ems that is fully tunable by user/customer and removed silencer, which is a free mod) and that ups the power +35WHP, that's +48hp at the crank. Other companies such as yoshio, cobb, vishnu, etc... offer similar deals(or cheaper) and gains. If you're gonna come on here and post things about the wrx, at least be a little more informed.

besides, you don't "chip" a stock wrx ecu like you would with a dub. you either remap the stock ecu, replace it with a standalone, or add a piggyback.
    Last edited by FastARSEWRX; 03-22-2003 at 09:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast