GTI vs. WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on GTI vs. WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by FastARSEWRX If you're gonna come on here and post things about the wrx, at least be a ...

Originally posted by FastARSEWRX
    If you're gonna come on here and post things about the wrx, at least be a little more informed.
    Come on, give him a break. He was just asking a question based on what he has heard. Honestly, I thought the same thing. I have heard people say that a chip on a WRX is almost useless. While at the same time a VW/Audi gets a huge hp gain. Maybe we are both just wrong, but no need to jump down his throat like that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by 2001S4
    Honestly, I thought the same thing. I have heard people say that a chip on a WRX is almost useless. While at the same time a VW/Audi gets a huge hp gain.
    let me guess, you got this info from audiworld or vwvortex??

let me guess, you got this info from audiworld or vwvortex??
    NO, I got it from here, from WRX owners. Maybe more of these people have learned about their own cars in the time I have been here. I do not go to those other forums really. My point is simply that you were harsh to him for no reason.

maybe I was a bit harsh. it's just that i've seen too many posts like this where people make rash statements w/o knowing the facts. it's if i went on to audiworld and said, i've heard that a turboback does nothing for the s4 or i've heard that a k04 doesn't give good gains...

maybe I was a bit harsh. it's just that i've seen too many posts like this where people make rash statements w/o knowing the facts. it's if i went on to audiworld and said, i've heard that a turboback does nothing for the s4 or i've heard that a k04 doesn't give good gains...
    That just means you are a bit defensive for no reason. Sorry man. All he did was ask a question. Why would he know about mods and what they would do for a car he does not own? By all means, go to Audiworld and say whatever you wish. You will most likely learn a lot about a car you don't have. Same thing that whodeani was doing here. Good luck, knowledge is power.

And with the VW's& Audi's its only certain engines that get those huge gains your talking about with the $500 chip i.e 1.8T, 2.7T. The N/A engines only see gains from 7-15 ponies but with both you get improved throttle response and all other good things. Maybe this will clear some things up

PS i almost forgot stock 1.8T only run like 6-7psi so you can see a chip that raises the boost to 17psi you get 60hp real easy!
    Last edited by JustinWRC; 03-22-2003 at 10:22 AM.

Well, my dad's friend has a Borla Catback on his wagon and he got a fix it ticket, or something for noise, so basically he's giving it to me for dirt cheap and he's gonna help me put it on my car. Can't beat that, no labor and I can trust him too. Him and his brother restore old Hot Rods. From what I've seen on the search my understanding is it's a deep loud and gurgly in lower speeds, which is fine with me. I don't think I've heard any exhausts that sound bad on the rex. I'm gonna be getting the Borla done on Tuesday, prolly order myself an MBC today and hopefully get the UTEC within a month. Thanks for the help guys.

No I got if from my budy who owns a WRX... He just got married so he didn't have boat loads of money for some of the chips... He did say it wasn't like my V-dubs... what he said was it was visible in the cabin.. like if a cop pulls you over they could see the piggy back system... that sounded strang to me... wasn't sure if he new what he was talking about... but he normally is on the NASIC forum... not here..

All the info that I've heard has been from this one friend so he ball parked me the numbers and I remember that they were not as dramatic as ours... I didn't quote him or anyone... I just asked

VW's go from 180hp to 215 on 91 Octane programs there is another one that takes us from 180 to 232 that is a racing programe for 100 Octane and that is to the crank..

Http://goapr.com they start of at 499 and with all the different programs they can get up to $1K. But you can change your programs on the fly with your cruse control... how sick is that..

Now that is what they are saying the company... My buddy has the 100 Octance and his dyno was 199 hp to the wheels. So that is just about 15 % but he was in third gear when really you want to be in 4th gear...

But like some have said above I was just trying to get the facts...

So chill FastARSEWRX... 48 post dose not make you some supper power know it all.. Some one has 48 posts still sounds like a newbee to me.. I don't really know how many post you've seen with simple question. I asked a simple question and a simple answer should have followed..
    Last edited by whodeani; 03-24-2003 at 04:47 PM.

My 2 cents... from an ex-GTI owner.

I had a 98 GTI VR6 w/ a few mods (exhaust, chip, intake). I loved that car! The VR6 is an inline 6 with a 15 degree seperation. The engine was amazing. It was not as fast as my new 03 WRX but it was a blast to drive. The realy nice thing about that engine was it was soooo well behaved. you could start in 3rd from a dead stop. No bucking... No stalling. Took me a little while to get used to the 4 banger on the WRX. You are not going to start in 3rd in the WRX.

On the downside... There was waaaay too much body roll on the GTI. On paper the car was close to WRX in handling. But the GTI would scare the crap out of me on a tight turn. Especially if I had to let of the gas mid turn. Forget the brake! She would get all out of balance when you taped the brake.

To mod the VR6 beyond exhaust, chip and intake you would have to dump at least $6k to get it in the 250 bhp range.

From what I understand the new GTIs are in the same boat. Good handing but still have that body roll. If you are plaining to mod without spending loads of cash buy the 1.8t, not the VR6.

Personally, I buy a car w/ the intention of keeping it mostly stock untill the warranty runs out. Unfortunatly (or fortunatly), that is about the time I am yearing for the new bad boy on the block.

Bottom line .... buy any car that puts a big smile on you face every time you get behind the wheel. Both my 98 GTI and my 03 WRX have accomplished that quite well.

Originally posted by whodeani
    So chill FastARSEWRX... 48 post dose not make you some supper power know it all.. Some one has 48 posts still sounds like a newbee to me.. I don't really know how many post you've seen with simple question. I asked a simple question and a simple answer should have followed..
    wow, so I guess since i only have 48 posts that means I know very little about the wrx, huh? so i must not have learned anything through my hours of research (through something called the SEARCH function) on i-club, nasioc, and here since I didn't post enough or register when I got my wrx back in april 2001, right? hey, you better hurry up and get as many posts as I have so you'll know just as much as I do.

knowledge=based on #of posts
    Last edited by FastARSEWRX; 03-26-2003 at 06:36 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12