lancer evos at local dealer(pics) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on lancer evos at local dealer(pics) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The 04 model will offer more.....It's called the STi package.......

The 04 model will offer more.....It's called the STi package....
    Ride on!
    Road Runner a.k.a. Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sorry, for 6grand less and not owning a mitsubishi, I'll take the wrx and spend money on mods. Plus the wrx's look much better(02-03) imo. My wrx looks like a 22-25000 car, but the evo still looks like a economy car, inside and out. Obviously a different story when it comes to performance, but just pretend you dont know aobut the performance, based on looks, I would never guess that car would cost anywhere near 35 g's
    Last edited by el~sharko; 03-21-2003 at 03:47 PM.

I really don't feel the EVO is direct competition for the WRX from a buyer's point of view. My WRX stickered for around $26,300 and I paid about $24,300 for it. If I went to Mitsubishi right now and actually managed to find a $30K sticker EVO, I sure as he!! am not going to be able to leave there for anything less... and probably going to pay a couple thousand more. So even if I got an EVO at MSRP, we're talking $5700 difference which translated into average monthly payments is roughly $114/month more for the EVO than the WRX. Some people may not have the cash for that. Its a substantial difference from that point of view. If I were out shopping for my WRX today, I still would have bought it over the EVO (and the $ difference is of little consequence to me personally). I wanted a car I could modify as I saw fit. I don't really feel the STi and EVO fall into this category. They are much more complete packages straight from the factory. Granted, if thats what you are looking for, then its a good thing.
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

Selling price and MSRP is a valid argument in terms of purchase I will agree. However, in terms of MSRP is what I'm talking about.
    When the WRX was introduced dealers were marking them up as well.

What if you the WRX and EVO came at the same time?

So, I agree that the WRX is a GREAT deal, and that's the car I'm waiting for, the 04. But, the EVO is a lot of car for the money considering performance for the dollar.

The STi is the EVO's better and more direct competitor, but the WRX is there as well.

As far as looks and what "looks" more like an economy car, well, that's a personal choice. Frankly, I think the EVO looks damn good and better than the WRX. It looks meaner and more solid.
    I even like the looks better than the STi. The STi looks just like a WRX except for the larger intake and bigger wing and that's almost all of the difference really. I don't think the STi looks different ENOUGH for the big price increase. It'll still rock though and probably outpeform the EVO, but then is should considering it costs more. However, the EVO still offers a sunroof AND a real stereo for the real world AND it offers 2 optional wings. The EVO
    gives the buyer more to choose. And, if Mits offers the performance package which is offered in Europe, it'll bring the EVO up to 300HP and a bit more torque for about $3000-$3500, still under the STi's expected $35,000 (that's a guess on my part from what others have said.)

T

Is it just me, or does that FMIC really not look that big. The TXS looks much bigger, but I've never seen a WRX FMIC in real life, I did look closely at the Evo one at the dealership though the other day. It looks kinda small IMO, but I'm prolly wrong.

I think it looks small next to the big after market ones we see for the WRX. For stock it is very nice though. I wish mine was there.....

For what it's worth, Super Street says it should be compaired to the STi, the Z and the RX8. I guess they think the WRX is in a diffrent class....so do I.
    Ride on!
    Road Runner a.k.a. Mark

Nice pics. I'd really like to take one on and see what happens. I'm sure I'll be able to soon.
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

The RX8? I don't think so and certainly not the Z.
    The Z is a coupe RWD that outclasses the STi in terms of style and amenities as does the RX8.
    The EVO and STi are the same class as there isn't much else to compete with those two in terms of what they are, AWD ultra sport sedans. Even when the WRX first came here all the press said the WRX is in a class by itself. In terms of drivetrain layout and chassis and sedan, the WRX is closer to the STi and EVO than the Z, MUCH closer.

The RX8 is different thing altogher. Mazda has created a different car with the new RX8. It's a coupe/sedan. It looks like a sport coupe but has half rear doors and real rear seats. It's like a crossover sedan/coupe, very different and pretty cool.
    The RX and the Z and the G35 are close competitors along with the M3.

T

If you could actually get an EVO for $30K, I agree its a pretty good deal for the $. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, because I think the Mitsu is not all that visually appealing. I dont hate it, but the factory rice-tezzas have to go, and the front-end looks weird at best to me. I would have preferred the EVO 7 looks-wise. Personally, I think my WRX looks cooler than an EVO 8, but of course, I am biased.

I think its natural to compare the EVO to the WRX right now, because it really is the closest thing available. I personally don't feel its a fair comparo, but people will make it anyway. When the STi arrives officially, things will fall into place. The regular WRX will still have a very valid place in the market as they are among the high-end of tradional sports compact price range. The EVO and STi are in the $30k+ range, which really puts them into another category with buyers looking at 350Zs, RX8's, G35 coupes, etc. I'm not saying these cars are related, however from a prospective buyer's point of view, they are all within $5000 of each other... and this may be what Super Street meant.
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

Saw the first Evo at a local autocross today...it did really well. Stock it turned a slightly better time than some heavily prepared WRX's. It seemed to handle a better. All in all, it was quite impressive. The owner was ecstatic with the car. It looked better than I thought it would...although, of course, nothing compares for aesthetics to a WRX.

Originally posted by dangrass
    ...although, of course, nothing compares for aesthetics to a WRX.
    I know many people that would chalenge what you're saying Many people think the WRX is ugly. At first, I thought so as well. It had to grow on me. Now, I wouldn't traded it for anything...except an STi of course
    Fahd

I know what you mean, man. That WRX is a thing of beauty.....I like to refer to mine as the atomic cockroach....I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Originally posted by Road Runner
    Stock EVO $29,500
    Stock WRX $23,500

That is not in the same price range if you ask me. They are both a good value for their sticker price....that simple.

That said, I'd take the stock WRX with $6,000 in mods over the EVO....
    you can take the $6,000 from msrp and add an additional $12,000-$20,000 markup by the dealer...here in FL i went to the Mitsh dealer and they had the EVO for $12K over msrp..thats $18,000 you can spend on the WRX..dont tell me you can't make a more potential car with that kind of extra cash..look what STEALTH-WRX did for about $20,000... pictures of my engine and parts

All these Evo prices are just noise at this point. All hot new cars have grossly inflated prices. Wait a few months and things will get to normal. BTW, have you seen how low WRX sedans are going for these days? In the SF Bay Area I've seen them advertised for as little as $20.5k. Pretty good deal. I remember when they first came out they were going for $5k over MSRP.

Originally posted by dangrass
    I like to refer to mine as the atomic cockroach
    LMAO
    Fahd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast