My impression of the EVO

This is a discussion on My impression of the EVO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sorry, I'm kind of long winded. For the meat of the story, skip down about 4 paragraphs... Well, out of ...

My impression of the EVO

Sorry, I'm kind of long winded. For the meat of the story, skip down about 4 paragraphs...

Well, out of curiosity, I called my friend who works at the local Mistubishi dealership yesterday. I was just calling to say hi, but I asked him about the EVO. I was mainly wondering what kind of markup they were putting on the car. I have heard some dealers are getting $15k over sticker. Anyways, they are asking $5k over.

So, after that, I ask "When are you going to get one?" He puts me on hold to ask, and then comes back and says "Actually, we're getting 2 tonight. One's already sold, and the guy is in the showroom waiting on it. The other one will probably be sold by tomorrow. The truck will be here at about 5 pm." I tell him I'd like to see one. He says to come by at about 8 (closing time) and he'd let me drive the one that wasn't sold.

So, I get there, and the truck had apparently been delayed because it followed me into the parking lot. The guy who bought the first one had gotten tired of waiting and went to eat dinner. My friend called the guy on his cell phone and he said he'd be right there. The truck proceeded to unload the cars, and my friend let me drive one of the EVO's around to the back of the building. Obviously I couldn't tell anything about it like that.

We get to talking with the guy that bought the first one. I tell him about my WRX, and he says he'd been considering one until he heard about the EVO. He didn't know about the STI. Anyways, he offers to let me drive his EVO. Of course, I jump at the opportunity. After about 2 hours worth of paperwork and whatever else (it's now about 10:45 pm) he's ready to leave. He asks me if I still want to drive it. I say, "Sure". So, we get in and he drives it to the gas station. The whole way he's acting like a schoolgirl (I'd guess he's about 35) and talking about how much he already loves this car. His previous car was an S2000.

So far, I can tell the car rides stiffer than a stock WRX. The engine sounds pretty good for being stock as well. We get gas, and he hands me the keys.

Now, here's my impression....

Seats feel pretty good. A little tight for me - I'm about 245 pounds, and probably not in the best shape since I quit playing hockey, so it's not as comfortable as my WRX in my eyes. But, still nice. Clutch feels pretty good for a brand new car.

I didn't want to run it hard since it was new, but they guy was trying to get me to run it a little. It seems like boost comes on a little earlier than a stock WRX, but tapers off more quickly as well. I guess I was driving it about 75% or so. Brakes are much better than stock WRX's, however. Shifter feels about like my WRX with the factory short throw shifter. The car handles pretty well. I'd say on par with my WRX (which has the stock suspension and wheels/tires). I expected a little more with the larger wheels and better tires.

All things considered, I think the EVO is nice, but not $35k nice. If it were the same price as a WRX, it would definately be a tough decision, but as it stands, it's not worth the extra money to me. Also, considering the STI is going to be roughly the same price as the EVO, the EVO is definately not at the top of the list.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good review, untill you said that the evo handled "on par" with your "stock WRX" I'm sorry brother, but that completely undermined your entire review

I can't see the evo being on par w/ the rex in pretty much any aspect, except i liked my rexes seats better, and the shifter, and the dash (most of the inside i guess).

Originally posted by need4spd
    Good review, untill you said that the evo handled "on par" with your "stock WRX" I'm sorry brother, but that completely undermined your entire review
    in his defense he said he drove the evo at 75% and it handled at that point as good as his stock wrx so we can conclude that he meant the evo handles about 25% better than his stock wrx at 10/10ths driving.
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Originally posted by Shard
    I can't see the evo being on par w/ the rex in pretty much any aspect, except i liked my rexes seats better, and the shifter, and the dash (most of the inside i guess).
    I've read in other reviews that the Evo wasn't as comfortable, but who cares when your driving by the seat of your pants.

Don't you think it's a little creepy stalker like to hang around for 2:45 while some guy you don't know buys a car so you can drive it? Or did the guy ask you to stick around?

But the way his post was worded it came across that he had enough of an experience to conclude that in total the two cars were on par with each other handling wise stock for stock. He even goes on to say he expected more with bigger better tires.

Yeah, but testing the handling isn't like testing the acceleration, i mean to do that you know its going as fast as it can when you've got your foot to the floor, but it takes a while to get the limits of a cars handling down. Maybe he just expected far too much from it and thought it would blow the wrx handling away so when it was only a little better at least at 75%, he wasn't as impressed.
    03 nissan sentra se-R specV

We're nitpicking here, but a general impression of handling can be had not even close to limits. The evo's lock to lock on the wheel is only 2.1 turns, many and most cars are around 3, i'm not sure of the rex's. Also, how well it corners even at low speeds, and in general feel of the car as you take turns, or even lane change can also tell a lot.

I'm not tryin to be a jerk or anything, i'm just saying even at 75% or the cars capacity i still see the evo taking that cake, but thats my opinion.

Well, to be honest, I don't drive very often at 100%. If that means my opinion doesn't count, then I guess it doesn't count. However, I drove this car about an hour, and drove it down some of the same roads that I drive my car on. So, yes, I can compare it to my WRX. No, I haven't driven the EVO at its limit. I don't expect to. But, neither to 99% of the people out there. Most of the people who buy the car don't have any professional driving training, and will, at most, drive the car 90% in their life time.

I doubt if there are many people on this board who are capable of driving a car to its absolute limit. I'm sure there are some who can, and even more who claim they can, but I'm not in either of those groups. I've never been to driving school, but I have raced karts for more than 15 years, so I can drive somewhat.

But, the review above is my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.....

I appreciate the opinion, i was merely saying the evo is a hass and i want one.

wats hass?
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

hass - horse, beast, bronco etc.

Doesnt the EVO weigh in 4222lbs?

I don't think so...

Sport compact car - "Curb Weight : 3,263 lb "

Good review.

BTW, anyone who would expect you to test the handling of a dealership car at anything more than 75%, when trashing the car could have gotten your friend fired isn't really thinking. At 75%, I doubt that you could feel the difference in handling between an EVO and WRX. Hell, at 75%, my Accord handles well.
    2002 WRX WRB