540i Attacks me from a Roll

This is a discussion on 540i Attacks me from a Roll within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Pulling away from a light in the city where I work, a guy in a BMW 540i was in the ...

540i Attacks me from a Roll

Pulling away from a light in the city where I work, a guy in a BMW 540i was in the left lane, me in the middle. We had clear road ahead of us. I had just shifted to second when he punched it hard. He was playing it smart in negating the WRX launch. I responded to his provocation, floored it and pulled a carlength or two once it came on full boost. Shifted to 3rd and he started to pull even. We held that dead heat for a bit and mutually decided to back off due to coming up on traffic. We both looked over at each other and laughed.

Stopped at the next light and talked about our cars. LOL, it was a businessman in a tie and a sweater vest, probably heading back from lunch. He said his buddy just bought a WRX and he thought they were great cars. I asked him about his Bimmer and he claimed it was stock, hadn't gotten his Dinan mods done yet. My WRX dyno'd 192 whp at Vishnu. I'm wondering, his car was a little quicker than I expected, bigger car but powerful. The only other time I have encountered a 540i was at the track and the guy was a mobile chicane, but I think that was all about the driver, not the car. Anyway, he was a nice guy driving a good machine and it was an amusing short encounter on the way to work.
    Old, but not slow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Those 540s are quick alright.

Your story reminds me of a BMW I observed both on the track and off. At an HPDE at Lime Rock we were all aggravated by a guy in a BMW 323 coupe (older square-shaped gen) who just ambled through the road course and rarely gave us passing point-bys. It was clear the driver was too nervous and disoriented to really DRIVE.

After the event, as I drove home on the interstate, I noticed the headlights of a pair of cars quickly gaining on me as I was doing about 70 mph. These guys must have been doing at least 90-100 mph and were clearly racing. The roads were hardly what you'd call clear. They slowed when they got to me, and I recognized the same BMW 323 from the blue masking tape he still had on the headlights.

did everyone see BMW made movies??

That guy can drivE!

Hey, Bedabi. Your story of the Bimmer guy made me laugh. Yeah, there's people like that, bad muthas in a straight line, get 'em on a road course and their true lack of nerve and driving talent is exposed.

And why would anyone wanna street race on the way back from the track ? That's like spending the night with the woman of your dreams and stopping off on the way home to bang a hooker in the alley.
    Last edited by ScoobySteve; 03-19-2003 at 02:29 PM.
    Old, but not slow.

Originally posted by ScoobySteve
    That's like spending the night with the woman of your dreams and stopping off on the way home to bang a hooker in the alley.
    The hooker won't criticize your technique.

Originally posted by bedabi
    The hooker won't criticize your technique.
    Muwahaha ! True, true.

One of my inlaws is a track instructor and he's got some good war stories about bad students. The best one is about the nouveau riche couple (dot-com days) who treated themselves to a nice shiny new M3 and then, at least had the good since to sign up for track school at Thunderhill so they could learn how to drive it. He said they were really nice people but just terrible drivers, scaring the crap out of him. Brad is too patient for his own good, kept trying to foist them off to other instructors, but they just laughed at him and poor Brad got stuck with these people all day, double-shifted with the husband and wife. no less.

Not to pick on BMW drivers here, of course. They are mostly good, it's just that the incompetent stand out more when they have a stellar car. And more than one guy with more money than skills has killed himself in a Viper.....
    Last edited by ScoobySteve; 03-19-2003 at 04:03 PM.
    Old, but not slow.

I can't wait to go back on a track again. NASA Northeast has a lot more HPDE events this year. Hopefully, I'll be able to attend (afford) a few.

Gran Turismo 3 just doesn't cut it after a while.

To continue with the analogy, as my technique improves with the dream woman, the hookers lose their allure. I still drive like a granny most of the time on the street.

Steve-

What are yer mods? 540's have beautiful, beautiful V8's in em. Tuned for aggressive driving as well. Wanna say 4 liter 32 valve engines, round about 300 hp(282 pops into my brain for some reason). With driveline losses much smaller than our Rex's, put up against the curb weight, you two were probably VERY colosely matched. 192 whp versus his 240-260, curb weight...3100 vs..what? 4000? 3800? Yeah he was smart in killing our launch, and evening up the odds with a roll on start.

His an auto or manual? In a spiffy BMW the auto shifts pretty damn well tho, not sloppy by any means.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

Hey, Brembo.

I have Vishnu Stage 0 package, but the the Unichip is removed and the ECU has been reflashed and tuned on Vishnu's dyno. Yeah, the cars seemed very evenly matched. In fact, I venture to guess that he would have pulled me had we continued.

I dunno if he had an auto or a stick. I didn't ask and I couldn't hear his car that well after his initial surge. Mine is quite loud at WOT with the SPT muffler.
    Old, but not slow.

He would have pulled on you at very high speeds, I'm sure. In spite of that, I enjoy nothing more than putting a lickin' on a supercar. Were I driving a 540 and somebody in a WRX smacked my ass, I'd probably have a heart attack.

Of course the guy with the BMW is going to get more willing (read unpaid) female attention than an old guy in a Subaru, but we won't go into that now.

X

I Support ClubWRX
    Supercar? A 540? It's just a luxury sedan. Somehow I don't think that cars main demographic is street racers.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I don't believe the 540 is a street racer either. But any car capable of cruising at autobahn speeds for hours on end is, IMO, a supercar.

X

Originally posted by GV27
    Supercar? A 540? It's just a luxury sedan. Somehow I don't think that cars main demographic is street racers.
    I can't dispute that, that's why I was a bit surprised by his quickness and that the driver of such a car would be initiating a race at all. But as brembo says, it's an excellent engine. I wouldn't call it a supercar either, the M5 variant is a lot closer to that mark.

Supercar is a pretty vague term - I usually think of Pagoni Zonda, Lamborghini, Ferrari 575M, Saleen S7 and the like as supercars. But to MisterX's point, a 540 ain't chopped liver either.
    Old, but not slow.

I agree a 540 M is probably closer to a "supercar" if anyone wants to have a dispute. Nevertheless, a 540 has a 32 valve V8 and can cruise at 140 MPH while offering some serious luxury to its occupants for hours upon hours. That's pretty super in my book.

Try doing that in your Ford Tarus.

I almost never street race - mostly because I have few takers. I'd never consider the 540 to be a street racer. But everyone has to agree, it's a VERY serious machine. Supercar may be an overstatement, but I'd give my WRX for one any day.

X