first race w/ new turbo

This is a discussion on first race w/ new turbo within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Haven't posted a story lately, but here goes. As some of you know, I've replaced the VF30 in favor of ...

first race w/ new turbo

Haven't posted a story lately, but here goes. As some of you know, I've replaced the VF30 in favor of a 17C (Td06 w/ mitsu 17c) and despite the early problems, they have now been resolved.
    It was a Saturday evening, and I was driving down route 28 I noticed a car behind me following really close and I had a feeling this guy was looking for a race. Well when we stopped at a light (all three lanes were filled) he stayed really close behind me. I checked out his car from the rearview and it appeared to be the previous gen civic, it had the usual visual mods, lowered stance, big tachometer ,and who knows what else. Well I took off from the light, taking it easy in 1st gear and I could hear him pushing it (and to be able to hear another car over mine is quite an accomplishment) I punched it into 2nd gear and took it to close to redline and by the time I was at the top of 3rd I was long gone and still continuing to gain (10+ cars at this point, and prior to the 17c, the VF30 really lacked at the top of 3rd gear). I ended up shutting it down at about 95mph and I could not believe how quickly the car got to this speed with only 15.5 psi. I thought that was the end of it, but as we continued down the road he kept pacing me, so this time I downshift into 3rd while going about 70mph and I quickly watched the boost build steadily to 15psi and quickly realized how quickly he was fading. To ensure that I do not see a subsequent post about how he did not get a chance to pull me at highway speeds, I shifted into 4th and watched the boost levels build to 16-17psi and shut down the race when I was going about 110mph (he was way back at this point).
    Anyways I get to the next light, and he was turning off and I see that it was an SI with a passenger and they were both shaking their heads.
    Not the most interesting encounter, but around my area you never know what a civic has under the hood so I never take them lightly.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All8up wrote:

Well I took off from the light, taking it easy in 1st gear and I could hear him pushing it (and to be able to hear another car over mine is quite an accomplishment) I punched it into 2nd gear and took it to close to redline and by the time I was at the top of 3rd I was long gone and still continuing to gain (10+ cars at this point, and prior to the 17c, the VF30 really lacked at the top of 3rd gear).
    It sounds like seeing the guy was quite an accomplishment, too. Very nice.

X

Anyways I get to the next light, and he was turning off and I see that it was an SI with a passenger and they were both shaking their heads. Not the most interesting encounter, but around my area you never know what a civic has under the hood so I never take them lightly.
    Yeah that's the truth, that's how it is where I lived in PA...now I'm in school in IN though. Lots of Civics and Integs around there had more oomph and were less Ricey. Lots of turbo's mingling around there... As a matter of fact my brother plans on buying an older style (94-96) EX this summer after he sells his '92 Talon. Gonna get a small loan out and start modding the hell out of it...gonna go for performance more than anything.

Plans on doin a swap and poppin a turbo kit in there right off the bat...I got respect for him and the car he plans on modding cause that thing will be no slouch soon after he gets it.

~ Ryan
    - Ryan
    -- 2000 GTI 1.8T
    --- APR Stock/93 Oct Chip, Custom Magnaflow 2.5" Cat-back, Forge 006 DV, Velocity CAI, Autotech SS, Exterior mods
    ---- But still quite a sleeper

Originally posted by WRXguy3
    Yeah that's the truth, that's how it is where I lived in PA...now I'm in school in IN though. Lots of Civics and Integs around there had more oomph and were less Ricey. Lots of turbo's mingling around there... As a matter of fact my brother plans on buying an older style (94-96) EX this summer after he sells his '92 Talon. Gonna get a small loan out and start modding the hell out of it...gonna go for performance more than anything.

Plans on doin a swap and poppin a turbo kit in there right off the bat...I got respect for him and the car he plans on modding cause that thing will be no slouch soon after he gets it.

~ Ryan

Getting a loan just to mod a car doesn't sound like a great idea. Why put yourself in debt just to go faster? If that is what he wants, then fine, but I would think his money would be better spent elsewhere.

yaye! ur powered by mitsu now!
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Originally posted by dukmahsik
    yaye! ur powered by mitsu now!

Originally posted by 2001S4
    Getting a loan just to mod a car doesn't sound like a great idea. Why put yourself in debt just to go faster? If that is what he wants, then fine, but I would think his money would be better spent elsewhere.
    Well it's not gonna be a big one by any means...he wants to customize his car a bit, his car that he sells will buy the actual car. The loan is gonna be there for the mods...it won't be a very high amount either...so it's no biggie I don't think.
    - Ryan
    -- 2000 GTI 1.8T
    --- APR Stock/93 Oct Chip, Custom Magnaflow 2.5" Cat-back, Forge 006 DV, Velocity CAI, Autotech SS, Exterior mods
    ---- But still quite a sleeper

Originally posted by PKer

He is referencing the fact that my car now has a mitsu turbo
    e46 M3 (new toy)

It's usually the non-riced out Hondas that you should look out for, since obviously their money wasn't wasted on looks. (The show-quality street cars are rarely modded to keep up with faster cars. Don't let gauges on the A-pillar fool you, they don't mean anything. But SOME of them are truly the best of both worlds--full wide body kits with turbo H22A engines, wet-NOS kit... you get the point.) In my old '95 Accord (which was pretty torquey for a 4-cylinder) with a few mods, I could blow away Civics with wild body kits just centimers over the street, but the stock-looking ones that had mean growls were always the ones to look out for.

Originally posted by All8up
    He is referencing the fact that my car now has a mitsu turbo
    Uh, STOCK WRX's have a Mitsu turbo, don't they? TD04 right...I think thats a Mitsu begotten turbo.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

All8up,

How did you come to possess this turbo? Did you have it built or was it part of a kit? If it wasn't part of a kit, then did you fabricate the up-pipe/downpipe flanges, etc.?

I am impressed that you've got such a thing on your Rex. Give up some details.

Thanks,

Todd
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

You can find your answers here...Turbo Specialties custom turbo

Originally posted by boosted 4
    All8up,

How did you come to possess this turbo? Did you have it built or was it part of a kit? If it wasn't part of a kit, then did you fabricate the up-pipe/downpipe flanges, etc.?

I am impressed that you've got such a thing on your Rex. Give up some details.

Thanks,

Todd
    e46 M3 (new toy)

All8up: Does that mean you are ready to pick on someone your own size?

Stop by or PM me and we can hit 28 or 50 and see how quick that thing is... Sounds damn fast! Prolly take me...

I am only a block away...
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

2.0 vs 4.8 is hardly a comparison, but if it makes you feel better to say that you raced and beat a wrx, we can go at it.
    Also, read the post on my bouts with the new turbo, it may be replaced shortly.
    I won't be in the neighborhood much longer, moving to Brambleton.
    peace
    John
    e46 M3 (new toy)

Originally posted by All8up
    2.0 vs 4.8 is hardly a comparison, but if it makes you feel better to say that you raced and beat a wrx, we can go at it.
    Also, read the post on my bouts with the new turbo, it may be replaced shortly.
    I won't be in the neighborhood much longer, moving to Brambleton.
    peace
    John

No it wont make me feel better John. I have raced a "stage 4" 1 or 2 weeks ago and killed him... But each Stage 4 is different. I just thought you might want to go up against something thats fast. To give you some kind of barometer of how your car does. It was just a friendly gesture... I could not care less if you spanked me or not...

Good luck in Brambleton... Those Greenway tolls are going to suck! I hope you dont have to use the greenway...

Maybe I will run into you one day on 28...