350 Z and SRT4 in 1 night - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on 350 Z and SRT4 in 1 night within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by 2001S4 Why do so many of you WRX owners have such a problem with the SRT-4? And ...

Originally posted by 2001S4
    Why do so many of you WRX owners have such a problem with the SRT-4? And don't tell me you don't. I have seen MAYBE 4 or 5 WRX owners on this whole site who only have good things to say about the car and don't nitpick and search for trash to say about it. The fact is that both cars are in the EXACT same market directed towards the EXACT same demographic. They are close in price, close in performance, and even close in looks to some point. I applaud the few that say "nice car".
    dodge should've built a new platform for it. the neon isn't the best constructed car in the world. it's in the same class as the mirage, cavalier, etc... my gf has a mirage and it feels like it's going to fall apart at like 100. the car is meant for commuting. when u add a turbo and double the hp on a commuter car then it could mean problems. u get what u pay for in the end. u have an s4 u should realize u get what u paid for. the new 03 s4's are like 36grand here or something. it's not made cheaply. now a wrx is 25. some people have some flaws with the cheap interior. the neon is 20k and it has a cheap interior. who knows how cheap or what they skipped at the factory. ya know what i mean?? fwd just isn't a performance car....IMHO of course.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02
    dodge should've built a new platform for it. the neon isn't the best constructed car in the world. it's in the same class as the mirage, cavalier, etc... my gf has a mirage and it feels like it's going to fall apart at like 100. the car is meant for commuting. when u add a turbo and double the hp on a commuter car then it could mean problems. u get what u pay for in the end. u have an s4 u should realize u get what u paid for. the new 03 s4's are like 36grand here or something. it's not made cheaply. now a wrx is 25. some people have some flaws with the cheap interior. the neon is 20k and it has a cheap interior. who knows how cheap or what they skipped at the factory. ya know what i mean?? fwd just isn't a performance car....IMHO of course.
    All the arguments you just made apply to the WRX in the same way, minus the last statement with FWD of course. I just can't fathom how people that drive cars that were brought into our wonderful driving communities for the same purpose as the srt-4 can bash it so often. While FWD is not the preferred choice for many people, it is more than adequate with the correct setup. Take an ITR on a nice road course and watch it hand a WRX its a$$. It can and has been done. I am not saying that FWD is better or worse, just that it doesn't matter as much as people make it out to be.

Years ago the neon was the greatest threat to M1 miata in SSC.
    The were just a bit faster in the strait, then the M2 got bumped to SSB, so the srt4 must be a fun car to drive especially with the power. With that said it is not my cup of tea i like AWD for going off the tarmac on to those Texas back roads something the neon cant do. Nor can it haul all the stuff i might carry, now a wagon option might be cool.

Why do so many of you WRX owners have such a problem with the SRT-4? And don't tell me you don't. I have seen MAYBE 4 or 5 WRX owners on this whole site who only have good things to say about the car and don't nitpick and search for trash to say about it. The fact is that both cars are in the EXACT same market directed towards the EXACT same demographic. They are close in price, close in performance, and even close in looks to some point. I applaud the few that say "nice car".
    Wrong, the WRX was purpose built for the World Rally Championship since 1993. Conceived, designed, engineered and produced for the sole purpose of homologation so that the race car would be recognized by the FIA commision for competition. And it's here because of rally fans NOT F&F wiggy hoozikes. While the WRX is a watered down rally car the SRT-4 is mearly a hopped up Neon put on the market to try and capitalize on all the Vin Deisel wannabees and that's it. Now, unfortunately, alot of these wanbees get their hands on a WRX. This tends to warp the image of the WRX into just a drag car which it is not. As a result, the WRX is competing in events it was not meant for and gets beat. That's the breaks. Oh well. But let's be real here, if the SRT-4 was competing in the WRX's arena, there would be no competition at all. Two totally different cars meant for two totally different driving types.
    Prodrive Headlight Conversion
    STi Front Grill
    Turbochargers.com Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade - T28 Compressor
    The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel
    Wagons Are Cool Check Out My Baby Here!

2001s4 the srt-4 was built for the exact reason koyo said. to take advantage of TFATF. wrx was built for WRC. u can compare the 2 and the wrx would win overall. If u take both cars and race them on every surface, every condition, everything period. the wrx would win hands down. now if u mod a wrx the same as an srt-4 in suspension terms then the wrx would ruin it on a road course. u can't have a track setup neon vs a stock wrx. ya know what i mean??
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Originally posted by koyokid
    Wrong, the WRX was purpose built for the World Rally Championship since 1993. Conceived, designed, engineered and produced for the sole purpose of homologation so that the race car would be recognized by the FIA commision for competition. And it's here because of rally fans NOT F&F wiggy hoozikes. While the WRX is a watered down rally car the SRT-4 is mearly a hopped up Neon put on the market to try and capitalize on all the Vin Deisel wannabees and that's it. Now, unfortunately, alot of these wanbees get their hands on a WRX. This tends to warp the image of the WRX into just a drag car which it is not. As a result, the WRX is competing in events it was not meant for and gets beat. That's the breaks. Oh well. But let's be real here, if the SRT-4 was competing in the WRX's arena, there would be no competition at all. Two totally different cars meant for two totally different driving types.
    For starters, I think you are wrong. The WRX may have originated as a rally car, but it was brought HERE as just another street car with power. It was not brought here and sold to rally race. This is yet another excuse many WRX owners use. So many people claim they rally their cars here, lets see some videos, I would love to see them. While the heritage of the WRX was never a question, the reason it was brought here is entirely different. The mustangs and camaros ruled the land for a long time for power from the factory. After years of watching sales going to cars that are not practical for all uses, Subaru got their heads out of their a$$es and finally realized they can make a lot of money by selling these small, yet powerful cars to that demographic. You know what, it worked. The majority of WRX owners are under 30, with even more so being under 25 I believe. Of these people, I would say MAYBE 5% have ever had their car offroad for anything more than a small dirt road or a parking lot with snow. The real problem is people are trying to glorify the WRX as something it could be, but realistically it is not. What I mean by that is that I certainly could be a rally car for every one of you WRX owners, but you don't rally it, you don't throw it on a trailer and drag it from event to event. You guys buy them, drive them everyday, rain or shine, sun or snow, and you guys enjoy how it drives on the road.
    Now in comparison to the SRT-4. If you guys really think that there are two totally different cars and aimed at completely different demographics, then I am afraid that you are in denial. I understand that the SRT-4 is less expensive so you feel the need to "Defend" your more expensive car. It is the same thing when the WRX was released and S4 owners were trying to find something wrong with it. I love the WRX. I would not hesitate to buy one today if I could afford to. But there is a less expensive, faster kid on the block now. If you live where it snows a lot, then get the WRX. If you like the look of the WRX better than get the WRX. But don't say you are getting it cause it has rally heritage and you know you will be rally racing, cause for 95% of the people out there, that just ain't true.

For starters, I think you are wrong. The WRX may have originated as a rally car, but it was brought HERE as just another street car with power. It was not brought here and sold to rally race. This is yet another excuse many WRX owners use. So many people claim they rally their cars here, lets see some videos, I would love to see them. While the heritage of the WRX was never a question, the reason it was brought here is entirely different. The mustangs and camaros ruled the land for a long time for power from the factory. After years of watching sales going to cars that are not practical for all uses, Subaru got their heads out of their a$$es and finally realized they can make a lot of money by selling these small, yet powerful cars to that demographic. You know what, it worked. The majority of WRX owners are under 30, with even more so being under 25 I believe. Of these people, I would say MAYBE 5% have ever had their car offroad for anything more than a small dirt road or a parking lot with snow. The real problem is people are trying to glorify the WRX as something it could be, but realistically it is not. What I mean by that is that I certainly could be a rally car for every one of you WRX owners, but you don't rally it, you don't throw it on a trailer and drag it from event to event. You guys buy them, drive them everyday, rain or shine, sun or snow, and you guys enjoy how it drives on the road.
    Now in comparison to the SRT-4. If you guys really think that there are two totally different cars and aimed at completely different demographics, then I am afraid that you are in denial. I understand that the SRT-4 is less expensive so you feel the need to "Defend" your more expensive car. It is the same thing when the WRX was released and S4 owners were trying to find something wrong with it. I love the WRX. I would not hesitate to buy one today if I could afford to. But there is a less expensive, faster kid on the block now. If you live where it snows a lot, then get the WRX. If you like the look of the WRX better than get the WRX. But don't say you are getting it cause it has rally heritage and you know you will be rally racing, cause for 95% of the people out there, that just ain't true.
    Actually rally racing your vehicle has nothing to do with anything. Your statement is false, plain and simple. The fact is the WRX has been built for many years before the SRT-4 was even thought of. These two cars components are not engineered for the same purpose. The WRX is a rally car, the SRT-4 is not, that's the facts.

I'm not bashing the SRT-4. It's faster in a drag race. No problem. But the fact is that comparing these two cars in a drag race is dumb. It's like comparing the SRT-4's rally prowess to the WRX. Pointless.
    STi Front Grill

i'm w/ s4 on this one...everyone always has to point out negative things on the SRT4. I could find tons of stuff wrong with it, just like i've found tons of stuff wrong with the wrx's.

I think most of you are just unwilling to accept that we get waxed when we compare both cars in stock trim in a straight line. These SRT4 threads are pointless, the only purpose they are serving is to give you a 'comfort' that your car is truly better. My point of view...AWD is the only advantage over the srt4.
    lambosv21

Well, if you really want a proper stock for stock comparison of two ON ROAD performance sport compact sedans, then guess what? That means the SRT-4 has to step up to an STi, which was built for ON ROAD performance. Now if the SRT-4 can beat the STi from a roll I'll be very impressed.
    STi Front Grill

Actually rally racing your vehicle has nothing to do with anything. Your statement is false, plain and simple. The fact is the WRX has been built for many years before the SRT-4 was even thought of. These two cars components are not engineered for the same purpose. The WRX is a rally car, the SRT-4 is not, that's the facts.

I'm not bashing the SRT-4. It's faster in a drag race. No problem. But the fact is that comparing these two cars in a drag race is dumb. It's like comparing the SRT-4's rally prowess to the WRX. Pointless.
    No my statement is not false. It is painfully accurate. All these threads pop up about the SRT-4 and alot of people find every excuse they can think of. WHY? What's the point? Is in not possible there is a faster car out there? Then people talk about the WRX's strengths, but they never use those strengths, except possibly launching the car. Otherwise, most people are too concerned with washing their car 5 times a week to even consider letting their car see a dirt track. And also when people talk about the WRX being mre expensive than the SRT-4 and possible a little slower too, all hell breaks loose. All you see is:

It was unfair cause it was from a roll.
    It was unfair cause the WRX had more people
    It was unfair cause the WRX driver shifted wrong
    The WRX is designed to rally race so of course it will lose
    The WRX is a safer car so who cares.
    The WRX isn't aimed and boy racers like the SRT-4 is.

One of my personal favorites - The SRT-4 is a pos neon.

Come on, you know you have seen these statements or variations of them over and over. There is one point and ONLY one point that has to be made. The SRT-4 is FASTER. I don't give a rats a$$ about the conditions of the race, blah blah blah. Put two cars in a straight line, and let em rip. The SRT-4 will pull. THIS is what has gotten everyone up in arms here. You wanna show me a video of a WRX taking on an SRT-4 on a rally course, by all means go ahead. I will argue the other way that you take both cars and put them on a dirt track and see which one wins, WRX will win. People look at my name and see 2001S4. Do you think that I bash the M3 cause it is more expensive? Do you think I argue that I can beat it in the rain? NO. It is a faster car, it costs more, all the power to it. It is a beutiful car. I am sorry for all my long posts but it just continues to amaze me that anyone here can make these arguments about two cars who sole purpose is so similar. I am sick of the rally heritage excuse. That is all it is.

Well, if you really want a proper stock for stock comparison of two ON ROAD performance sport compact sedans, then guess what? That means the SRT-4 has to step up to an STi, which was built for ON ROAD performance. Now if the SRT-4 can beat the STi from a roll I'll be very impressed.
    wow koyo i see you completely forgot about marketing a car and that marketing involves price comparisons

you're still trying to defend the damn wrx? just let it go...its like everyone with wrx's are running around in circles with their tales in between their legs...you're not going anywhere
    lambosv21

The fact is that both cars are in the EXACT same market directed towards the EXACT same demographic.
    This statement is false. You're wrong.
    STi Front Grill

This statement is false. You're wrong.

i'm with you on that one koyo two totally different cars but still gotta look at prices
    lambosv21

You know when we all race the new neons for a while we are going to do pretty well I bet. It took me a while to learn how to drive my wrx well, and im sure its the same with them. Launching a 2wd car on the street I think is a lot harder to do well then an awd car. And generally unless you can blow away a wrx at the top end you have a hard time beating them on the street.
    -Andrew

Originally posted by lambosv21
    wow koyo i see you completely forgot about marketing a car and that marketing involves price comparisons
    Oh really. Well why don't you run out and get yourself a copy of the newest Automobile magazine and find out what 3 cars the SRT-4 is compared to. I'll tell you this right now, the WRX isn't one of them.
    STi Front Grill

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast