WRX vs Chevy Cavalier with 4 passengers! :D - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on WRX vs Chevy Cavalier with 4 passengers! :D within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; You are compareing the cost of a used j to a new WRX. Thats just absurd. What if I did ...

You are compareing the cost of a used j to a new WRX. Thats just absurd.

What if I did it the other way around. A new J cost 15,000 dollars, and I could get a used WRX for 17 or 18 thosand since the announce of the STi. So really can you bridge the profomance gap with 2 or 3 grand? No

So the 7 grand number is a good number to try to use. But since your scenario was at 10 grand, take the cost of a used wrx, and to be fair ill use 18,000 and then add 2 grand worth of mods and .. you lose
    -Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest, but I still don't understand why you would want to use the j-platform- I'm not saying you shouldn't, it just doesn't seem like a logical place to start. I'm really most curious about reliability of the car for those kinds of numbers and what it takes to make that kind of power. Forged rods do not equal horespower automaticaly. I don't doubt that you can make that power in a jcar- if you throw money at a project, you can do anything. Just look at Monster Garage.

I checked out your gallery at
    http://www.j-body.org/members/suncavi/cars/1/
    and I have a few questions....

Is the 230 hp figure wheel or crank? I'm assuming crank, since you'd need about 275-280 hp for 230 whp. Or somewhere around there.

Also, have you had it dynoed? Not that I'm doubting you, but I'm just looking at your times. Your best listed is a 14.2 with N20 and upgraded cams. A stock WRX will run that, and they are rated at 227 hp and about 160 at the wheels. So, maybe it's close to 220 or so, but I'm just wondering. That's all.

I'm not bashing you or your car. I don't do that. I like pretty much all cars as long as they are done tasefully. You can take a Ferrari and put a 3 foot tall wing on it and some 22" chrome wheels, and it will look like junk in my eyes, Ferrari or not. Your car looks a lot nicer than most of the Cavaliers around here, but I'm just curious where your numbers came from.

Ok guys, I am not going to argue about this anymore, but I just wanted to bring a point accross and to explain some people that just don't want to understand that any car can be made fast if you got the money to do it.

Also, I cannot tell you why J platform, but then again can you tell me why not?
    People mod what they have, and everyone has their reasons.

Cosmo, 150+65+plus cams and little extras, I would say anywhere from 220-230 that is at the crank.
    I ran a 14.2 with 9.1 1/8 mile and now I am running 9.0's and give me a little better hook up and I know I can break into 8's, so I think that would be around high, high 13's, low 14's.

Plus, at the time when a ran a 9.0 tranny was hot and it was shifting at 5500 when my peak HP is about 5900, so I know if I can get everything right on I can do better than 9.0.

SunCavi

The only reason I could give as to why not is that the parts involved are for an economy car, not a performance car. Also, just out of curiosity, why do you frequent clubWRX is you're a jcar guy? I'm not saying you're not welcome here, I'm just curious- it seems you'd be more readily accepted on a different board. Wow, that sounds nasty but I don't mean it that way- I guess I admire a lot of different cars, but I only tend to belong to a board that has to do with my own.

TIME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahem, OK I feel qualified to comment on this subject considering I own BOTH a 2003 WRX and a 1997 Cavalier.

First of all we are comparing a Greyhound to a weener dog here, ok.

Now, I have made my cavalier respectably fast, it is a base model 2.2l ohv w/115hp and a single cam in the block hehehe.

Virginia Motorsports Park
    07:27 PM
    02/Nov/02
    Owner: Luke Frank
    Car: 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier
    R/T ... .534
    60' ... 2.20
    330 ... 6.20
    1/8 ... 9.51
    MPH ... 74.46
    1000 ... 12.36
    1/4 ... 14.78
    MPH ... 93.6

That was with a totally rebuilt top end, stage III clutch, a 60shot of NX and the standard engine safeguard modifications. Not smokin by any means but pretty f#ckin surprizing for the stock 1990 5.0 that I beat. THAT is where the cavalier's appeal lies for me. Granted its not the best sleeper in the world, but if you pick one up for cheap and are sick and twisted enough you could have endless nights of dimented fun.

NOW, the WRX well absolutely no comparison like I said before, build quality is 200times better; potential, aftermarket support, and stock fit and finish cannot compare.

Doesnt mean the J-body is bad, you just gotta judge it by its intended purpose.
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Greddy: EGT, Boost, Oil Press Gauges
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

two different classes of cars.....

Even if you turbo the J-car..... the WRX will be more reliable b/c its built for the turbo. The 2.4 is not........even if you build your motor, there will be testing and tuning....and problems.

The GM supercharged 2.4 is no joke though.......Ive taken a ride in one, and its quick. Some ppl are running low 14's with only a supercharged 2.4..............so once you add the supercharger to a new J-car, its close to, maybe a little less expensive that the WRX.

But in the end, the WRX is a better overall car. Yeah I own a '97 Z24, but Im not going to sit here and try to make it out to be a better car than a WRX. Good to see they changed the headlights though.......
    '97 Z24, Addco Rear sway bar, Apex Lowering Springs, Koni Struts, 17" Mille Miglia Evo5's w/ Kumho 712 225-45-17's APC Projector Headlights, R1 Racing Seats, Upgraded Custom Engine mount, Some NGK stuff......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123