WRX vs Chevy Cavalier with 4 passengers! :D - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs Chevy Cavalier with 4 passengers! :D within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have surprised a few in my 2.2j...but they arent fast by any means...the tranny is weak, shifting feels like ...

I have surprised a few in my 2.2j...but they arent fast by any means...the tranny is weak, shifting feels like Im driving with my eyes cloed, the interior is not very durable, they are heavy for what they have under the hood, sluggish. But...1-3 gear ratios are quite aggressive and you give a few people a run for their money. I could hang even with my friends Probe GT 6cly (w/clutch master, fly wheel, pullys, exhaust, and intake) with my stock 2.2J. We raced all the time and we would be dead even until we hit 4th (the top end on the J is rediculously sluggish). I like the way my sunfire looks, its aggressive looking and thats really why I bought it. You always hear the cliche of " the fun is MAKING it fast" and thay may be for gearheads that know how to rebuild engines and stuff like that. I, however, don't know how to do that so making my car fast would cost way too much money for what its worth..so im gettin REX this summer. Also, there is next to 0 aftermarket support for GM J platforms.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Save for the GM super charger. The J's are a cool alternitive to a civic or something like that. Even though a civic has like fifty billion times more after market support.. its neat to be a little differnt.
    -Andrew

I've seen the ads for the supercharger- isn't that like putting a silk hat on a pig? Seriously, if you buy a Cavalier, you probably don't have a couple grand to buy a supercharger. Plus, it's kind of a crappy platform for a performance car. I'd like to see what kind of numbers a j car would make with the superchanger-and if there are any reliability issues.

well I think it was something like 200hp for the 2.4's but dont quote me. The problem was is the J's has like a top speed limit of something like 113mph I think, so obviously they dont have the best top end. I havnt really looked into it much lately but I dont remember anyone who did anything good for thier ecu.

I believe the new Ecotec platform is a lot better as far as proformance goes. I was reading a chevy magazine (my friend had it) and some guy had a turbo ecotec pushing like 500 hp.
    -Andrew

I'd be more interested in seeing quarter mile and 0-60 times, as they are more related to real world driving- personally, I really never go over 75 MPH anyway.

I dunno what the fastest J is there.. Im sure a few of them have broke into the 14's and some even into the 13's
    -Andrew

"(*ok so there was no horizon, but for story-telling purposes, there is a beautiful horizon, with lots of nekked ladies too. And beer. Oh, and doritos.)" heh heh Funny sh*t man. I just can't believe they were making fun of YOU in your NEW Subaru when they were in a Rustalier.
    Can't wait to trade in my slow ass Protege MP3 for a WRX! (This fall at latest)
    http://www.mazdamp3.com/members/jonlisle20/huh.jpg

Ok, so most of you WRX owners and even some J-Body owners think that J's are slow.

Let me correct you all there and let me agree on one thing though.
    Some of them are slow, but some are not.
    Take an average 2.2L OHV motor for example and it is slow unless you are spraying to make it mildly fast and I am not bashing the 2.2L drivers.

Another example, take a 2.4L motor, they have 150 hps and they are not the fastest thing out there neither, but I have one and about 230 hps.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you guys have what about 230 hps stock and AWD and run mid 14's, with 230 hps my Cavalier runs high 13's low 14's.
    This also is going to be brought up, that WRX drivers can upgrade the turbos and run more PSI which will make you faster, but look at you engine set up, compression and overall, your cars are in the 25K range.

Give me a 10K J-Body 8:1 compression and an extra 15K and believe me I would be whooping most of your a$$es, not in the bad way.
    I know I am going to get stormed for saying this specially on your board, but any car can be made fast if you have the money and if you know what you are doing.

Peace all.

SunCavi

By the way my 0-60 is low to mid 5's and 1/8 mile 8.9's-9.0's.

SunCavi

Give me a 10K J-Body 8:1 compression and an extra 15K and believe me I would be whooping most of your a$$es, not in the bad way.
    I know I am going to get stormed for saying this specially on your board, but any car can be made fast if you have the money and if you know what you are doing.

Peace all.

SunCavi
    uh-huh so what if I bought it used? what can you do with $7k on your car?

You know.. I have a 2.4 J. And It cost a little more then 10k

As a matter of fact it looks like a totally stripped sunfire runs you about 15,000 msrp
    -Andrew

Originally posted by SunCavi
    Ok, so most of you WRX owners and even some J-Body owners think that J's are slow.

Let me correct you all there and let me agree on one thing though.
    Some of them are slow, but some are not.
    Take an average 2.2L OHV motor for example and it is slow unless you are spraying to make it mildly fast and I am not bashing the 2.2L drivers.

Another example, take a 2.4L motor, they have 150 hps and they are not the fastest thing out there neither, but I have one and about 230 hps.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you guys have what about 230 hps stock and AWD and run mid 14's, with 230 hps my Cavalier runs high 13's low 14's.
    This also is going to be brought up, that WRX drivers can upgrade the turbos and run more PSI which will make you faster, but look at you engine set up, compression and overall, your cars are in the 25K range.

Peace all.

SunCavi
    Assuming that this isn't a spoof, what sort of mods do you have to do to a Cavalier to make that kind of power and numbers? And what reliability issues do these mods produce? Also, not to flame, but why start with a j-platform car- certainly it's not the best platform to make a fast car with.

I Support ClubWRX
    A Cavalier? I mean, come on, why not start with a true enthusiast sport sedan platform like a Toyota Echo.

Forgive my limited knowledge of physical units, but what is an hps? I always thought it was adult-film lingo for 'hummers per second'.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Originally posted by jedimaster
    Assuming that this isn't a spoof, what sort of mods do you have to do to a Cavalier to make that kind of power and numbers? And what reliability issues do these mods produce? Also, not to flame, but why start with a j-platform car- certainly it's not the best platform to make a fast car with.
    I agree. If it does exist, I would love to see it. I have only owned Chevrolets for all my life. I still own a '73 Corvette, '67 Camaro, and '68 Camaro Convertible. Well, actually, I gave the Corvette to my girlfirend for her birthday...

Anyways, I bought a WRX because I wanted something that had good performance, and Chevrolet discontinued the F-body. That meant the only Chevrolet I would want to own was the Corvette, which I couldn't afford. I would like to see what's possible from a GM car.

I can do a lot even with 7K guys and our upgrades are not as expensive as WRX's are.
    For $2500 Titanium Rods.
    $2500 forged crank
    $400 forged lower compression pistons
    $1000 lifters, valve springs, valves, head gasket, head studs.
    $3000 for a T3/04 intercooled kit.

That is $9500 to $10000 and labor all done by me.

Trust me you can find a 98-99 2.4L for about 9-10K and that is still less than the price of a WRX.

Integra96, you can start small talk all you want and that is what most of you Honda drivers do anyways, but if you have a slightest idea about motors you would agree with me that any car can go fast if you build it.

Why start with the J platform? Why not?
    Start with what you got, I have seen a Yugo run 9's in a 1/4 with a rotory motor in it.
    Some people just don't have the money to start with a more expensive car and if I had the money I would start with a RB26DETT, but I don't so I guess I got to stick with a J.

Cosmo and jedimaster if you doubt my mods and I am not saying that you are, and you are just interested in how did I accomplish this, check out the mods that I have in the JBO member registry under SunCavi.
    The car is still reliable and not so comfortable.

SunCavi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast