Run with '01 SVT Lightning...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Run with '01 SVT Lightning... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; my good friend just got himself a white '01 SVT Lightning. It looks and sounds nice!! The S/C sound is ...

Run with '01 SVT Lightning...

my good friend just got himself a white '01 SVT Lightning. It looks and sounds nice!! The S/C sound is sooooooooo sweet sounding and the exhaust note is scary!
    anyways, we went 2 different times, both from dead stops...
    First Race: Im at 5 grand and we go. My launch was not to good, i bogged a tad bit and he pulls by me (S/Cer whinning!!) in 2nd and keeps pulling away. We went to about 100mph.
    Second Race: I launch at 5500 rpm and get one of my greatest launches, small squeel from my tires. He gets some spin and im off by a car and a 1/2 probably. Into 2nd and im not pulling anymore. Into 3rd and he is along side of me pulling hard. Top of 3rd he is 1/2 car ahead and not stopping... into 4th and he's gone. We went to about 115mph or so.
    His mods are CAI and cat. back exhaust. Mine are listed on this site.
    All and all, it was a fun race, i knew what the outcome would be, but i just wanted to hear the S/C whine as he blew by me.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow.. Lightnings sound pretty fast.. i almost got to race one once but no go. Although I will post the obligatory WRX cop out

"you would have owned him in the twisties though!"
    -Andrew

I have raced my friends 02 L many times. woop him very time, But he keeps modding the damn thing and getting faster.

He just had a new engine built that should put out more than 700 HP. Should be a 10 second truck. He claims high 11's now with all the boltons possible. Still cant take my 03 Cobra. but I think that will change soon.. they are putting in the engine as we speak.

L's are fast stock.
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

well even you with your big mustang can use the WRX cop out again him. You can own him in the twisties.. say it and believe it my friends.
    -Andrew

Don't the lightenings have the same engine as the Cobra???

Just imagine ....being obliterated by a truck......not just any truck, but a truck that happens to have 700HP.......

I am beginning to think that the Cobra's supercharged engine might just be the 2JZGTE engine of the new millenium......
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

We call it the "domestic 2JZ" round these parts.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Engines

jigga- the Cobra has a 4.6L and the Lightnings use a 5.4, the horsepower #'s are usually better on the Cobras because they are 4V quad cams and the torque is almost always better on the L's because of the extra 50 cubes.

the 2JZGTE of the new Millenium, huh? Im not sure about that, but i now know not to go and pick any fights with him or the blue cobra around here. At least not till i get the TXS Stage 4!! Heh heh...
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

I never raced one while stock but I did race one mildly modded not long ago at the track. He and I were chatting in the staging lanes before hand. He started off by saying "don't beat me too bad" as he chuckled. I kind of laughed and thought to myself "I hope this guy isn't being an ass".

Anyhow we finally got to the line and went! Actually, it was more like he went and I bogged really bad. He immediately got a couple of car (or can you say truck) lenghts on me out of the hole. I had to play catch up and by mid track I had quickly reeled him in and made the pass steadily pulling away.

Well, that's my story of a Blue Sedan vs a 2003 Lightning
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

i raced an '03 at the beginning of this summer...i got beat him accross the street ...then he flew by me once he got traction
    lambosv21

Originally posted by LemonHerb
    Wow.. Lightnings sound pretty fast.. i almost got to race one once but no go. Although I will post the obligatory WRX cop out

"you would have owned him in the twisties though!"
    Don't forget the other obligatory cop out: "Yeah, but wait til he tries to race you in the snow!"
    Driving the whiteline nightmare!

2003 Aspen White WRX Wagon 5 speed

Re: Engines

Originally posted by WH@AVSPORT
    jigga- the Cobra has a 4.6L and the Lightnings use a 5.4, the horsepower #'s are usually better on the Cobras because they are 4V quad cams and the torque is almost always better on the L's because of the extra 50 cubes.

He hit it on the head.

My 03 Cobra puts out more HP and Slightly less TQ than a very modded 02 L 5.4. Reasons being the heads on the 03 Cobra 4.6L are MASSIVE with 4 valves and 4 cams. The engine looks HUGE. Even next to a 5.7L Z06 engine the Cobra 4.6 looks like a 426 Hemi.

The ONLY major difference between the Ford 5.4 and 4.6 (both being modular engines with the same/similar block) is the length of the stroke. The 5.4 has a longer stroke (by .62"). I think the bore is the same. The HEADS are the BIG difference in the engines. I think the SC is even the same.

The L also weighs about 800+ lbs more than the Cobra. Ouch!

02 LIGHTNING
    ---------
    5.4L V8
    2 Valve Heads w/ Single cam
    380 HP @ 4750
    450 TQ @ 3250

Bore: 3.54
    Stroke: 4.16

03 COBRA
    ------
    4.6 L V8
    4 Valve heads with quad overhead cams
    390 HP @ 6000
    390 TQ @ 3500

Bore: 3.55
    Stroke: 3.54

The 2004 L is one bad mamajamma....So I hear..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.