Vishnu Tuning Dynoed Evos
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Vishnu Tuning Dynoed Evos within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Quote from Shiv posting at EvolutionM.net forums The three US EVO VIIIs we've tested (under nearly identical conditions) put down ...

Vishnu Tuning Dynoed Evos

Quote from Shiv posting at EvolutionM.net forums
    The three US EVO VIIIs we've tested (under nearly identical conditions) put down right around 180 wheel hp. That's only ~20 more wheel hp than a stock WRX. Hence my concern about the 271hp rating. Thes dyno figures would suggest closer to 255hp, IMHO.

A few interesting findings:

Peak hp occurs around 5500rpm, not the claimed 6500rpm. Peak torque is right around 4000rpm.

One of the three cars we tested ran 2psi less boost (17 tapering to 15 vs. 19 tapering to 17) than the others. It had a one month earlier build date (1/03 vs. 2/03), FWIW. It ended up making the same power as the other two higher boosting EVOs but with slightly less torque in the low end and midrange.

Our EVO VIII, for some reason, only has a 1bar MAP sensor. Strange seeing it in a turbo car that runs 19psi of boost. I would expect nothing less than a 3bar unit for the car. With the 1 bar MAP sensor, it maxs out (reads a full 5v) at 0psi of boost. Bizarre and pretty useless, as far as I can see. While I didn't check the other cars we tested, I suspect they are similarly equipped.

The car is especially knock prone at certain engine speeds. At least it is on the lovely 91 octane gas we run in CA.

The car runs a frequency-based MAF sensor. Not the usual 0-5v types seen on most other cars.

The car is under-advanced above 5500rpm. Adding just 1-2 degrees of timing at high rpm bumped hp by over 10 wheel hp without any detectible knock.

The EVO VIII's factory ECU is a bit more sophisticated that the older EVOs which had no type of active knock correction or smart ignition learning capabilities. Even the processor on the board is bigger These new ECU smarts will present more complications on the tuning end. But that's what we do so we consider it a challenge.

The EVO, like the WRX, is suseptible to MAF misreadings through intake modifications. We measured some pretty wild MAF errors when trying out different intake configurations.

There's a lot more info we've dug up during our tune-a-thon. Some of it we'd like to keep to ourselves for now and some we'll elaborate on on our website (http://www.vishnutuning.com/lancer.htm). There's nothing there right now but a pretty picture. Give us a couple of days and it'll start filling out. It's past midnight and we just came back from our first test drive of our mildly tuned EVO Lots more info to come....

Cheers,
    Shiv
    www.vishnutuning.com

PS. As mentioned earlier, all testing on all EVOs were done on 91 octane gas. I did test our car with slightly higher octane (by mixing in a couple of gallons of 100 octane) and found significant gains (6-9 more wheel hp). But still shy, IMHO, of the factory's claim. I think the car's short gearing, great turbo response, and strong midrange torque make it feel quite a bit more powerful than it really is. Still an awesome car. And it's bound to get only better as we get a handle on how to make more power safely.

PSS. Also, keep in mind that these numbers are from our Dyno Dynamics dyno which, while arguably more accurate, reads more conservatively (lower) than Dynopacks and Dynojets. While it's the best dyno for tuning, it's not the best "big number generator" that some people like
    OWNED

This is WRX vs the World right? I can post competitive posts now can't I?
    Last edited by JimDab; 03-11-2003 at 06:45 AM.
    2003 WRBlue Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan
    For Go: APEX'i AVC-R, Godspeed Uppipe, Samco IC Hoses
    For Show: JUN Eyelids, Clear Side-Markers, Momo RaceAir Shift Knob
    For Handling: Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Cusco Rear Sway Bar

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

damn thats sad ....funny owned w/ the price tag though
    lambosv21

Damn, pretty dissappointing for a car running 19 psi with a higher compression ratio. Just proves that factory power claims mean nothing. Nice to know I can have about 280 AWHP at 17.5 psi for well under 30K. To get equal or better handling though I'd be pretty close in $$.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Wow. The Dodge SRT4 is going to be spankin' Evos on a roll.

I'd hate to see the guy that pays $50k for that Evo roll up on a $20k SRT4 late one night.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Holy cr@p, I didnt even see the dealer's asking price. Please tell me thats a joke, seriously.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver

sadly its not a joke...there are people that dumb on this planet
    lambosv21

Only 20 whp more than a stock WRX? Hee, hee. Does this mean a TurboXS Stage 1 might be enough to take out an Evo?

In a straight line a MBC and a good driver will be enough if you ask me.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

2nd pic is a red X. i wanna see what shiv and them get when they run it at the quarter.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

tisk tisk so many evo haters on here its hilarious. the evo is in a diff league than the wrx. thats a quote from vishnu
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Originally posted by dukmahsik
    tisk tisk so many evo haters on here its hilarious. the evo is in a diff league than the wrx. thats a quote from vishnu
    different league? hardly. better then yes. but i think different league is a bit of a stretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Originally posted by ebr0t
    different league? hardly. better then yes. but i think different league is a bit of a stretch.
    like i said EARLIER, that is a quote from Vishnu. Here is the complete text:

"Hello Guys,
    We have dynoed 3 Evos so far and they are all making within 3 horsepower of each other. We are dynoing another one on Tuesday and will release the results shortly thereafter. The car is a fantastic driving machine and is in a different league then the WRX dynamically for sure. Take care guys.

Brett Payne
    www.vishnutuning.com"

and link to the thread since the it was forgotten:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...5&pagenumber=1

Vishnu goes on to say that they got 30whp from doing minor tweaks and staying completely stock and the gas in CA was a huge factor. Read the thread before u make assumptions

- 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

jt2
    I'd say that Brett's statement is probably right, that DYNAMICALLY they're in a different league.

That is to say that the driving experience is likely quite different, given the better suspension, brakes, etc.

Almost excatly like the difference between the vanilla WRX and the STi is likely to be - which is the proper car to compare the EVO to.

Originally posted by dukmahsik
    [BVishnu goes on to say that they got 30whp from doing minor tweaks and staying completely stock [/B]
    that quote = oxymoron

How the hell does doing minor tweaks that yields 30whp = staying completely stock. You can Ecutek a stock WRX for the same HP. But I wouldnt call that completely stock.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver

Originally posted by JRod
    that quote = oxymoron

How the hell does doing minor tweaks that yields 30whp = staying completely stock. You can Ecutek a stock WRX for the same HP. But I wouldnt call that completely stock.
    shrug ask them not me, i didnt state it. to them i guess stock is not adding any perf parts and only using what came stock. aren't their "free mods" for wrxes?

- 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.