Vishnu Tuning Dynoed Evos - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Vishnu Tuning Dynoed Evos within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by jt2 I'd say that Brett's statement is probably right, that DYNAMICALLY they're in a different league. That ...

Originally posted by jt2
    I'd say that Brett's statement is probably right, that DYNAMICALLY they're in a different league.

That is to say that the driving experience is likely quite different, given the better suspension, brakes, etc.

Almost excatly like the difference between the vanilla WRX and the STi is likely to be - which is the proper car to compare the EVO to.
    agreed. it'll be a nice battle which i believe the STI will come out barely on top, on paper that is for now anyways.
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

An ECUtek is $750 just for the service and I am sure the EVO "service" will cost the same. Hardly a free mod for either car.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Originally posted by dukmahsik
    shrug ask them not me, i didnt state it. to them i guess stock is not adding any perf parts and only using what came stock. aren't their "free mods" for wrxes?
    I hear you, sorry I came across so harsh (too much caffeine with lunch I think) There are some free mods for the WRX but nothing yielding 30whp. I was assuming they tweaked some engine managment parameters somehow. If they can get 30whp with free mods then
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Originally posted by JRod
    I hear you, sorry I came across so harsh (too much caffeine with lunch I think) There are some free mods for the WRX but nothing yielding 30whp. I was assuming they tweaked some engine managment parameters somehow. If they can get 30whp with free mods then
    no problem man, no harm taken.

and if anyone doubts it, i like wrxes.

- 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

Originally posted by jt2
    I'd say that Brett's statement is probably right, that DYNAMICALLY they're in a different league.

That is to say that the driving experience is likely quite different, given the better suspension, brakes, etc.

Almost excatly like the difference between the vanilla WRX and the STi is likely to be - which is the proper car to compare the EVO to.
    Don't you guys think that the EVO 8 is a little diluted compared to the (soon to be) US Spec STI? I almost think that the EVO is more comparable to the regular WRX right down to the Viscous center differential and the open front. The EVO may have better brakes, suspension, and a little more power than a standard WRX, but will be no match for the 2.5T, DCCD STI.

Just my .02
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Hmm, disappointing... It makes that $50K EVO look even more ridiculous. lol
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

and you'd think for the extra $27K you'd at least not have to worry about door dings as much as the WRX

I wonder what type of SUV parked next to the guy in the picture in the first post

jk
    2003 WRBlue Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan
    For Go: APEX'i AVC-R, Godspeed Uppipe, Samco IC Hoses
    For Show: JUN Eyelids, Clear Side-Markers, Momo RaceAir Shift Knob
    For Handling: Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Cusco Rear Sway Bar

Originally posted by boosted 4
    Don't you guys think that the EVO 8 is a little diluted compared to the (soon to be) US Spec STI? I almost think that the EVO is more comparable to the regular WRX right down to the Viscous center differential and the open front. The EVO may have better brakes, suspension, and a little more power than a standard WRX, but will be no match for the 2.5T, DCCD STI.

Just my .02
    typical words from a typical wrx owner

if u think the evo is comparable to the wrx then u need to open ur eyes. besides the sti isn't released yet so why make judgement? we'll see soon enough.

- 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

I Support ClubWRX
    Actually, the WRX IS comparable to the EVO. Think about the difference between the two - pricewise. With a few mods, the WRX is as good as - if not better than - the EVO, without costing as much as an EVO.
    2010 SSM STI

It might be true that for the $5000 price difference you can beef up your brakes and suspension and add a upipe and MBC and have a car that handles better, stops better, and goes quicker than the EVO, but comparisons like this are ridiculous. All comparisons should be made stock vs. stock. In that light, they are not the same car.

However, I am confident that my car will be as good as or better than a stock EVO for well less than the at least $31K is will take to put one in my driveway, $31K being exactly $5500 more than it took to put my WRX in my driveway.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

but you know an evo will have more potential if it takes a modded wrx to compete with a stock evo. mod the evo and it'll reach a higher point than the wrx could

(at least with stock turbos i mean )

Of course. Hell, I could buy a $10K Hyundai Accent and put $22K into it and have a car just as good as an EVO. The arguement and possibilities never end. My point was, dollar for dollar, the WRX and the EVO are pretty close cars. The STI has some seriosly expensive stuff on it, so I am not sure if the EVO and the STI are going to be dollar for dollar very similar. DCCD and STI 6 speed gear box are not cheap!

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Originally posted by JimDab
    but you know an evo will have more potential if it takes a modded wrx to compete with a stock evo. mod the evo and it'll reach a higher point than the wrx could

(at least with stock turbos i mean )

Why? As far as straight-line accelleration they've both got 2.0L motors and 4 valves per cyl. One is inline vs the other an H4. The EVO's motor may be a little stronger with a forged internal part or two but there are also WRX's right now putting down 400"W"HP on stock internals.

Where suspension and brakes are concerned, the EVO does come with a stiffer stock set up than the WRX. However, I've only put on lowering springs - 1.5" (front) 1.3" (rear) and set my camber to -1.75 (front) and -1.00 (rear) with 225 45 17's and my car handles surprisingly well. The stock brakes on the WRX aren't all that bad either if anybody cares to dig up some data.

Now the let's talk about AWD on the EVO vs WRX. They are set up the same way. Both have an open front/Viscous center/ and LSD rear.

Is there any thing that I'm missing and the WRX costs less.
    Last edited by boosted 4; 03-12-2003 at 10:47 AM.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

just the stock turbo of the wrx can't compare to the evo's. the evo has closer to a vf23-ish turbo.

and the internals can hold up to more, like you said

the latest news is that the evo can put down 250hp on a FWD dyno. im too lazy to find the link, it's around here somewhere but the actual post is at evolutionm.net

I am happy with my rex...I like the evo too and ofcourse the STI...STock vs STock tho it is better than wrx...but its going to be fun modding to keep up and smoke em..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.