03 cobra does it... 790rwhp - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 03 cobra does it... 790rwhp within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Turbo over a Super for me any day. Superchargers' boost curves are linear to engine RPM's - turbo's have a ...

Turbo over a Super for me any day. Superchargers' boost curves are linear to engine RPM's - turbo's have a geometric progression, a "snowball effect" if you will. Also, the torque onset of turbos is just a tone of fun to drive, and helps with high-power traction issues.

Case in point, I'm going to build a Shelby Cobra replica and going to have to do a turbocharged something (I'm actually leaning towards a Surpa motor/tranny BTW, but the '03 Cobra drivetrain does present another good option). Besides the fact that turbos are fun, one big reason to use one in this application is that the Cobra replicas (which weigh between 2200 and 2500 lb.) that make 600hp, 700hp, and 800hp all do about the same time in the quarter, because they can't hook up. I'm talking spinning thru 4 gears and still running 9s . These usually use BIG V8's which make a lot of torque down low. Not good for traction. By using a turbo motor that started spooling around 3kRPM and made full boost by the high 3's, I'd be able to get a nice rolling start and then have the real power come on. Also, using a turbo motor will allow me to run as much power as the big blocks with only 2/3 the weight. You have to admit, it'd be damn cool to see a 2.2 60' time on an 8 sec. quarter run Yay for turbos

'03 Cobras rule BTW
    <----- Finally found an avatar I like!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Give me an AUTO and turbo! They can be VERY fast. You can launch them better, always in boost with the auto, plus you dont loose any shifting time!!! Thats why those Supra's auto's are NASTY! Only problem with the Supra? HEAVY! 3800+ lbs...

Would have been nice to have an 03 Cobra with a nice auto trans.

Considering the new Cobra has only been out less than a year, compared to the Supra at 10 years, I'd say they're doing pretty well with what they've accomplished powerwise. Both cars have great engines. I'd take the Cobra personally, for the torque curve and sound. On the track, despite what the mags say, I'd give the edge to the cobra.
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

Originally posted by stilesg57
    Turbo over a Super for me any day. Superchargers' boost curves are linear to engine RPM's -
    Thats only true of centrifugal superchargers, Roots type superchargers depending on application can build full boost a few hundred RPM's past idle.

Originally posted by boosted 4
    That IS impressive with out a doubt for any car, but it brings to mind the last gen Supra. A 6 cyl powered car that has been able to easily do that and more (BTW, did I mention ONLY 6 cylinders.

Not a flame but until we starting seeing some really BIG numbers it's not that big of a deal for a V8 with lots more displacement and forced induction. Idid like the sound though
    I TOTALLY agree. These numbers are really not impressive...at all. The mustang is such a HORIBLLY engineered car! They Finally put independent rear suspension on the thing and it still can not handle very well.

Ford makes all of there cars to be appliances, they think that people will use them for a couple of years and then get rid of them for a new car. This has always been their view on car manufacturing and I think that that is CRAP!!
    --Jared

go fast, take the apex(no matter what)

Gimme a ****in break with this ONLY a 6-cylinder nonsense. It is totally a ricer argument. "I get xxxhp/liter, what do you get?" "You only won bc you have 4 more cylinders than me" You can argue engine design and specs to advantages and disadvantages every which way. I really don't feel like getting into it, but....Ok so the Cobra has 1.6 liters and 2 more cylinders. It DOESNT have an inline engine which is a much better setup for running high boost levels. It DOES offer a MUCH better powerband, good low end, and even though it doesn't have anything to do with the motor, suede seats.

I'm sure anyone here who has riden in/owns a single turbo supra will tell you what its like to ride/drive in one. All I'll say is you def. don't feel the insane power down low. I wasn't too impressed until 2nd gear frankly.

I don't really remember how theh Supra aftermarket was in 1993, but I can almost gurantee you there were no 790rwhp supras running around then. The 03 Cobra is BRAND NEW. If 2013 rolls around and Cobras are still ONLY putting out 790 rwhp then I'll eat my words.
    2000 LS1 Camaro M6

not impressed with 790whp "car" that runs nines with the stock suspension set-up? I wish I were you!!!!

this argument is really pointless, once you add boost the dollars are the limit! Pro 5.0 cars are now nearing 2,500hp from just 5.3 liters, they could get more, but the chassis cant handle it!!!

what im saying is, no matter how much power you have you still have to harness it, and that is what racing is really about!
    Are you alright sir?
    Fine...why, what have you heard?

stock intake w/silencer
    k&n panel
    up-pipe
    mbc@16psi
    lots of octane booster!

Originally posted by jar_e_d sti
    I TOTALLY agree. These numbers are really not impressive...at all. The mustang is such a HORIBLLY engineered car! They Finally put independent rear suspension on the thing and it still can not handle very well.

Ford makes all of there cars to be appliances, they think that people will use them for a couple of years and then get rid of them for a new car. This has always been their view on car manufacturing and I think that that is CRAP!!
    I still drool over classic Mustangs.

Originally posted by Simp
    Gimme a ****in break with this ONLY a 6-cylinder nonsense. It is totally a ricer argument. "I get xxxhp/liter, what do you get?" "You only won bc you have 4 more cylinders than me" You can argue engine design and specs to advantages and disadvantages every which way. I really don't feel like getting into it, but....Ok so the Cobra has 1.6 liters and 2 more cylinders. It DOESNT have an inline engine which is a much better setup for running high boost levels. It DOES offer a MUCH better powerband, good low end, and even though it doesn't have anything to do with the motor, suede seats.

I'm sure anyone here who has riden in/owns a single turbo supra will tell you what its like to ride/drive in one. All I'll say is you def. don't feel the insane power down low. I wasn't too impressed until 2nd gear frankly.

I don't really remember how theh Supra aftermarket was in 1993, but I can almost gurantee you there were no 790rwhp supras running around then. The 03 Cobra is BRAND NEW. If 2013 rolls around and Cobras are still ONLY putting out 790 rwhp then I'll eat my words.
    It has the same engine that they have been using forever!

Why do people think that this is a "new" car??
    --Jared

go fast, take the apex(no matter what)

I'm just waiting to see what the new Stangs are going to be like in 2005. It's about time that they've dumped the Fox Platform (since 1979!!!), yet SVT has been able to produce some bad ass cobra with it (On the track the Cobra R was faster than the Z06). Unbelievable.

Of course, look at it from Ford's point of view. The Mustang, with it's 20 year old design, was still out selling both the Camero AND Firebird COMBINED. As the saying goes... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The future Cobra is going to be insane!
    2004 Sedan Stage IV (w/ .5L envy) >>> Stripped & Sold!
    2007 Wagon Stock >>> Soon to be traded in for an 08 STI

It has the same engine that they have been using forever
    The say the same thing about an LS1; which while making far less HP/litre, moves a much HEAVIER car much FASTER while using LESS fuel than our WRX...pushrods and all.
    790 whp is impressive, period; I dont care if it's from a KIA or a Ferrari.
    -Ray

Originally posted by rayray
    The say the same thing about an LS1; which while making far less HP/litre, moves a much HEAVIER car much FASTER while using LESS fuel than our WRX...pushrods and all.
    790 whp is impressive, period; I dont care if it's from a KIA or a Ferrari.
    -Ray
    My sentiments exactly.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Originally posted by rayray

790 whp is impressive, period.
    Got that right.

T3 you must admit your wrong for saying supras are dyno queens,
    there are dyno queen turbos not motors. a T-88 is a dyno queen turbo. having that on a supra does not make supras dyno queen cars.

with low 11s still on stock twins thats pretty nice.

.....oh and with supras running 8.6s on street tires. noone can say supras are dyno queens. its just a very strong powerplant. and that makes people jelous.

a supra is a great handling car also. it may not be nimble (like a litle civic hatch) but its a whole lot more nimbler than a cobra. and on the track they are great cars. if you can drive them right there lap times will be VERY fast.

this big number is nothing new. there are plenty of mustangs with alot of HP, just becasue its in a new cobra body doenst meen the motor is new to all the ford tunners out there.
    05 STi white/gold
    89 240sx 390rwhp

ill admit that statement was a little unfair... i just hate seeing all the jerkoffs bragging about their 800+hp supras then they go pull their sweet sweet 12's at the track... then they are telling me how the supra is better than the cobra in everyway... and im just thinking to myself.. wtf?

but you are right there are plenty of supras that run great track times...

i believe there was a track comparison involving the 03 cobra and the supra TT... i would think the 03 cobra would win.. but i dont remember the results... the 03 cobra is no slouch when it comes to turns although many would choose to believe so... most people believe it is a drag racing designed vehicle good for nothing but straightline speed... if that were the case im sure ford would have put in a solid rear axle instead of the irs with beilstein shocks brembo breaks...the fact of the matter is its got a pretty great design with its only downfall being its weight..
    03 Cobra Satin Silver
    kenne bell sc

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast