03 cobra does it... 790rwhp - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 03 cobra does it... 790rwhp within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This car makes me wish I would have stayed in school for that Master's Degree. I wish I could afford ...

This car makes me wish I would have stayed in school for that Master's Degree. I wish I could afford one!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

big block will hurt ur feelings!
    Kory "I love Rexes and STis"

- 2006 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6
    - 2001 Acura CL Type S
    - 1998 Prelude S
    - 1997 Eclipse GSX
    - 1996 Eclipse GS

newbie question:

Can you put a turbo(s) on the 03 Cobra instead of asupercharger? I thought (again, I'm a newbie) more power can be gained from turbos. Or is this just a matter spending more money, and it doesn't matter between superchargers and turbos?
    And if people have put turbos on them, what kind of power are they putting out?

just curious
    2002 WRX

Still Stock

Turbos don't necessarily make more power. A turbo is just a supercharger that is powered by exhaust rather than a belt. A supercharger takes power to make power, but it's available from the get go, whereas a turbo uses exhaust to make power (free of charge) however you have to put up with lag.

Actually, depending on what you want out of a turbo vs a SC, the turbo will always be more efficient scavanging it's power off the exhaust gases rather than the crankshaft. If you put a tiny turbo on (relative of the engine size of course) you can make power down low easily if that's what you're after, i.e. autocrossing comes to mind. If you are after big power, say for drag racing or track racing where you'll constantly be way up in the RPM band then a big turbo will easily outperform a SC.

Not saying that SC's aren't any good but if I had a Cobra, I would want a single turbo (or twin parallel turbos) rather than the SC. The V8 already puts down torque so getting off the line wouldn't be tuff. It actually might make it easier to launch and be a real beast in the upper RPM's.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

Turbo 5.0's and 4.6's for that matter are NUTS.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Nice power. But I'd bet that there are some old civic hatchbacks I autoX with that would beat that car with 1/10 the hp around the cones. Power is nice in a strait line and if you can put it down to the ground.

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

WHA...that's a fast car!
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

Originally posted by |T3|
    its cool.... unlike the dyno queens (supras)...03 cobras are putting out equal torque numbers with a very smooth powerband Unlike those of the mkiv supras... thats why 750hp takes a cobra to 9's and wont get a supra to 11's =)
    my friend ran 11.68 at the track.... he is still on the stock twins... and its not even tuned... its all about the tranny 3 speed auto turbo 400 i think it is...

-mike

boosted 4

i would never say a turbo would "easily out perform a supercharger"

using strictly mustangs as an example, in the pro-5.0 racing series, doug manrum ran the first 7 and 6 sec. passes with centrifugal power from pro-charger and the car is turning 6.61's @ 216mph! this is amidst a field of several turbo cars.

a turbo is definatly more efficient than a non-intercooled roots-type blower, but the centifugal/intercooled combo has come a long way since the 80's pro-street craze! besides, immagine the nightmare of a non-intercooled turbo! serious heat soak. in this regard the s/c's are far superior. (only in this regard!)

plus turbo's are far less cost effective than a simple s/c bolt up due to fabrication and exhaust routing issues. a pro charger kit capable of supporting over 900whp retails for $6,500, while a similar turbo kit would be well over $10,000!

not flaming at all cause i love my turbo's too, just playing both sides! (not those sides!)

peace!
    Are you alright sir?
    Fine...why, what have you heard?

stock intake w/silencer
    k&n panel
    up-pipe
    mbc@16psi
    lots of octane booster!

I HAD an 03 Cobra. I loved the car. The ONLY thing I did not like was the clutch. Too heavy and was going bad wth few miles on it. Thats Ford for you... I was putting down about the same HP as T3. The car was NASTY. More power? Your nuts!

Work with a guy who has a BPU Supra. Putting down 410 to the rear with very few mods. Its an auto and quick. Could not take the cobra though. But they put his car on one of those machines were it tells you how fast the rear tires are spinning (MPH). His Supra produced over 200 MPH speeds. WOW! They will apparently just keep going....

I personally prefer the sound of the turbo.

Saving for a Viper. Maybe once I get my son out of daycare ($800/month) I can put some of that cash into a Viper.

Cobra's are sick fast cars. So are Supra's. The Supra's did not depreciate much. Thats a BIG plus!

I lost money on the Cobra.
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

Originally posted by 03Cobra
    Saving for a Viper.
    Nice, that is the only car I've driven that scared me (just a little ) Then again I was a 18 yr old valet driver that never drove anything faster than a Mustang GT .

Pruven performance had a viper in their shop when I was dyno tuned. Beautiful cars and very fast. I'm not big on the sound of that V-10 though, sounds like a vacuum cleaner (a big one). Aparently Dodge fixed the exhaust note issue with the new Viper.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

i know somebody that has the stock twins on his supra and does a 11.7 in the 1/4 mile.
    "I put two and two together and decided - you're pissin' me off."

Re: 03 cobra does it... 790rwhp

Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02
    i'd rather have a supercharger then a turbo because the sc is always on.
    And that's precisely the reason I'd rather have a turbo.

Yes, the supercharger is always "on", even when you don't need/want it. It's always "on" putting an unnecessary load on the engine. It's always "on" putting a parasitic loss on the engine, using more gas than necessary on those highway cruises.

sounds better too!
    Subjective.

Originally posted by spoggly
    Can you put a turbo(s) on the 03 Cobra instead of asupercharger?
    Of course.

I thought (again, I'm a newbie) more power can be gained from turbos.
    Will everything else being equal, yes, a turbo will typically make more power than a supercharger at a given level of boost.

Or is this just a matter spending more money, and it doesn't matter between superchargers and turbos?
    There are many factors involved. Both turbos and superchargers are designed to operated most efficiently at certain metrics. These include engine displacement, speed, compressor and turbine size, etc... There are "compressor maps" for each turbo that is used to determine which application it's best suited for.

Take for example the case of those dyno queen Supras. They use very large turbos that flow a lot of air. But as a result they have significant lag in the Supra application and really peaky horsepower curves.

And if people have put turbos on them, what kind of power are they putting out?
    On an '03 Cobra? At the same level of boost I'd guesstimate at least 50 more hp than what they're making now.

Originally posted by Shard
    a turbo uses exhaust to make power (free of charge) however you have to put up with lag.
    Depends on many factors. Lag can be non-existant in a properly matched turbo application.

Ever driven an Audi S4? Instant throttle response. But they use extremely small turbos to achieve that.

Buick GN - Everything is pretty well matched from the factory. Lag is barely noticable. When they put on bigger turbos, they also swap converters to something with a higher stall speed. Lag is not a problem.

Originally posted by is2scooby
    Turbo 5.0's and 4.6's for that matter are NUTS.
    http://turboconnection.com/showcase Here's where you can see some turbocharged 5.0s.

I like the "Therapy" one. It's an example of a bone stock 5.0 with nothing else but a simple single turbo application. Making 450hp and running 11s in the quarter.

The Lancia Delta S4 used them both and used them correctly I might add. Low RPMS were aided by a supercharger which cut out by 5K-6K RPM, and then a big turbocharger would be compressor until redline at 11K or 12K, I forget which. All in an 1.8L engine. This car would eat a cobra and STi for a light snack.

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast