RX-8 Video - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on RX-8 Video within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Same here lol, I thought it was my download accelerator dingy thing but it wasn't. Turns out that program was ...

Same here lol, I thought it was my download accelerator dingy thing but it wasn't. Turns out that program was a piece of trash anyway because im dling stuff just as fast... anyway... somone upload!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All manual tranny RX8's have the same 250hp output no matter the price.

The automatics are the ones with lower power. You get 250hp with the lowest priced, no option model. Actually, I just checked the "build one" feature and the 6 speed starts at an MSRP of 27k.

The specs, from mazdausa.com are:

4 speed automatics:
    Horsepower: 207@7200
    Torque: 164@5000
    Redline 7500
    Curb weight w. popular options (+ full 15.9 gas tank) : 3053

6 speed manual:
    Horsepower: 247@8500
    Torque: 159@5500
    Redline 9000
    Curb weight w. popular options (+ full 15.9 gas tank) : 3029

Judging from my experience with Mazda's, the car should have incredible handling. A real driver's car. I wish I could afford one.
    Last edited by enduroshark; 07-03-2003 at 07:18 AM.
    '90 SCCA ITA Miata

Originally posted by fengshui
    I am considering trading in the WRX for an RX-8. I would keep it naturally aspirated, and any modifications would keep it that way. Nothing would beat a more powerful naturally aspirated rotary engine for power delivery and reliability. We will see what the test drive results are, and how well the DSC works, since itll be my only driver. I would be giving up the WRX's grip and power for a more nimble handling, long lasting engine (less moving parts), and uniqueness and technology. I'd say right now that there is something so cool about the RX cars, but I'm still 50/50 on what I'll do. Time will tell.

chris
    i hope you know what youre getting into...the rotary engine hasnt always been the most reliable piece of machinery around...plus its the first year the car is released....sooo....good luck
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

Originally posted by happasaiyan
    i hope you know what youre getting into...the rotary engine hasnt always been the most reliable piece of machinery around...plus its the first year the car is released....sooo....good luck
    You are warning him because he is considering purchasing a first year car? Does this make you a hypocrite? You drive a first year car yourself, according to your sig.

Originally posted by happasaiyan
    Right... which is why it won the 1991 24 Hours of Le Mans and countless Improved Touring championships, and Mazda even uses them in a Formula series. Face it, the N/A rotary engine is one of the pinnacles of reliability. Its when your turbocharge it and increase the heat and oil problems that you run into problems.

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Originally posted by WilliamG
    I hear so much about the acceleration and 1/4 slip times of the SRT-4, but not so much on the handling round a track... We shall see...
    Awww, why can't we turn this into a SRT-4 discussion? (j/k )
    WilliamG, how about a 14,110 ft mountain with a 156 turns called Pikes Peak? Check the results here. I think that should impress you!! <hi-jack over>

On to the topic at hand. I am very unimpressed with the RX-8. I expected more I guess. I know if I were looking for a 2 door sport coupe, I would go with the 350Z after seeing those numbers. I know there is more to a car than hp/torque, but come on, only 159 torque!! I am sure the car handles on rails, but that wouldn't be enough to sway me into buying it. Just my .02!
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

Originally posted by drizze99
    On to the topic at hand. I am very unimpressed with the RX-8. I expected more I guess. I know if I were looking for a 2 door sport coupe, I would go with the 350Z after seeing those numbers. I know there is more to a car than hp/torque, but come on, only 159 torque!! I am sure the car handles on rails, but that wouldn't be enough to sway me into buying it. Just my .02!
    Drizze, The RX8 is a four door (although not a conventional one) not a two door. Also, I hate to do it again, but it is the closest direct comparison. The S2000 has the same amount of torque, and when driven right, can out accelerate a WRX and other cars of he similar numbers. I think we need to really see a lot of them on the road and see how modable they are. I still haven't made my decision on whether I really like it, but I am keeping an open mind. When the number were released for the S2000, I thought it was a joke. Now I would love to own an S2000, stylish, powerful when pushed, and pretty rare. The RX8 should prove to be the same.

Awww, why can't we turn this into a SRT-4 discussion? (j/k )
    WilliamG, how about a 14,110 ft mountain with a 156 turns called Pikes Peak? Check the results here. I think that should impress you!! <hi-jack over>

Are you refering to the SRT-4's time which is 2 minutes slower than any of the equally powered AWD Open class cars? Incidentally the SRT-4s have so much factory backing and power, the only thing they share with your road going car is the hood scoop

The RX-8 will basically give some amazing handling with the ability to truck around 4 people. You can always make a RX-8 handle like a S2000 and 350z and even raise the power of its engine (once it is figured out how). BUT you can NEVER add more seats to the S2000 OR 350z

And if you ever watched how rough a 350Z is to drive at the limit, it wouldn't be so fun, especially after you snap oversteer into a tree or something. The RX-8 breaks away slowly and is extremely easy to control at the limit, according to every magazine that has reviewed it. The RX-8 is really a competitor to the G35C of which I hear it will be a fierce battle. The RX-8 has the weight advantage, but a direct test will be needed. But everyone is free to their own opinion.

You want 2.4L strait line beast that'll blow away all cars up to $30K. Others want an amazing handling car that can drift flawlessly with 4 people

chris
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

ooops!! Forgot that they have suicide doors now!!

Also the RX-8 made it to 1/4 in 14.5 which isn't that bad for an engine with only 1.3L. Maybe you should be impressed with that technology since it was voted 2003 "Engine of the Year" by people who know a thing or two about engines. I am unimpressed with the SRT-4. It is a nice response to the popularity of the WRX, and its nice that it can compete with a car two years older. But in the coming year or two, there will be cars from both Nissan, Toyota, and Ford, that'll embarass a FWD turbo car. Here's a hint, Cosworth anyone?

chris

Chris, why the hell are you soooooo defensive? I was merely stating my opinion, that's it. I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

And of course you are going to say the SRT-4 has huge factory backing because that's one of the biggest cop outs on the net. I really can't understand why some people are sooooo narrow minded. You have an excuse for everything. Sure the open class cars had 2 minutes on the SRT-4, BUT in Rally Class Group N, it beat ALL the times posted by the AWD cars. He wanted to see real world numbers from an SRT-4 and I pointed him in that direction, that's it!!

Here's a hint for you.... the SRT-4 CAN handle!!

But in its defense, you can't find a finer car than the SRT-4 for $20,000. But when the Focus Cosworth appears. It'll definitely make the SRT-4 2nd place in the domestic sport compact car category.

If life was like GT3. I'd used the SRT-4 for all FWD races. Or possibly the ITR. An autoX battle between those two would be something to see

chris

Chris, why the hell are you soooooo defensive? I was merely stating my opinion, that's it. I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

And of course you are going to say the SRT-4 has huge factory backing because that's one of the biggest cop outs on the net. I really can't understand why some people are sooooo narrow minded. You have an excuse for everything. Sure the open class cars had 2 minutes on the SRT-4, BUT in Rally Class Group N, it beat ALL the times posted by the AWD cars. He wanted to see real world numbers from an SRT-4 and I pointed him in that direction, that's it!!

Here's a hint for you.... the SRT-4 CAN handle!!
    Hey I know what it can and can't do as I was watching them scream by me at STPR. I also know that all ProRally Neons are factory backed (ie non-privateers). And the Group N cars have near stock components where as the Open class cars AS WELL AS the Group 5 cars (which is where the SRT-4s compete) have turbo restictors giving them up to ~400hp, which I'm sure they are at.

chris

And to tell the truth I am one of the most open-minded when it comes to all things relating to automotive technology. And I can say that a rotary that is N/A with only 3 moving parts will last a hell of a lot longer than a flat-4 banger 2.0L or an inline-4 2.4L running moderate boost. Lets talk technology: if you want to maximize your handling in your SRT-4 you absolutely need a LSD. All the Prorally cars have one without doubt.

chris

EDIT: Oh and it was a 1.8T VW Golf that won the Group 5 class at STPR. Not a 2.4L Turbo neon.
    Last edited by fengshui; 07-01-2003 at 09:12 PM.

I know one thing.... you're a post *****!! (j/k )

I'm not looking for a pissing contest, but it seems like you are in the mood for one. I'm just sick and tired of people disrespecting the car I drive. It gets old REAL fast.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.