Subaru AWD vs the rest
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Subaru AWD vs the rest within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just wondering how the Subaru AWD compares against the rest of the world. The sales guy I bought my WRX ...

Subaru AWD vs the rest

Just wondering how the Subaru AWD compares against the rest of the world. The sales guy I bought my WRX claims it's the best. At the very least better than the Mitsu's (not the evo though - think it was a talon) as he used to own one. What about the Audi's quattro technology and didn't the Celica have an All-trac version also? Just curious, I'm somewhat new to this board and new to this AWD game. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

kimchi,

The Subaru AWD system is not "the best" per se, but it's up there. A few of my mechanical engineering buddies overat Columbia University are huge fans of the Subaru AWD system just because of the physics of the thing...50/50 distribution (well, 45/55 if you wanna get technical) to the wheels, a boxer 4 engine with a very low center of gravity, etc etc However, I'd have to say that Audi has the best system out right now with the Quattro. Optimistically, I'd like to say Subaru ranks second, as the Sube AWD system relies more on rudimentary mechanics and physics whereas the Quattro uses those same characteristics and adds a bit of high technology (look at the Audi All-Road...terrific Quattro system in that). I'm of course biased to my Subaru, but hey...to each his own just my 0.02,

-slim
    2003 Subaru Impreza WRX (AP Stage 2)
    Midnight Black, weathered and beaten thanks to the wonderful citizens of Philadelphia, PA

2005 Honda S2000
    Silverstone Metallic Exterior, Red/Black Interior, a shifter made in heaven

ALTESSA!!!!!!!! (SKyline GTR R34)

If you don't know about it, read about it know!!!

Also, Haldex AWD (VW R32) is pretty awesome as well.

As far as domestic cars go, I am pretty sure that Subaru AWD is much more respected than Quattro, 4motion, or 4matic.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Registered User platinum scooby's Avatar
    the all trac system was nice, but if it broke it'd hit you hard in the pockets. i'd think subie's system would be better than the toyota rally car, mainly because subaru has had more experience with the awd platform than toyota.
    2003 platinum silver wrx
    the only good suv is a dead suv.

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX

As far as domestic cars go, I am pretty sure that Subaru AWD is much more respected than Quattro, 4motion, or 4matic.

-joe
    4matic is a Mercedez Benz automatic tranny, I believe.

Quattro probably is slightly better because of the torsen diff and the haldex is no sloutch either. Quattro has been around a Long long time.

Point is both of them excel at different, just differently.

I think the subie AWD is gonna kick on the STI, though. Tough to beat a manually adjustable diff.

Originally posted by Griswold
    4matic is a Mercedez Benz automatic tranny, I believe.

Quattro probably is slightly better because of the torsen diff and the haldex is no sloutch either. Quattro has been around a Long long time.

Point is both of them excel at different, just differently.

I think the subie AWD is gonna kick on the STI, though. Tough to beat a manually adjustable diff.
    Actually, I'll correct myself and apologize. 4matic is a benz 4wd. My bad.

Here's a really nice multipage link that talks about all sorts of different 4wd types. Very informative.

http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/traction/tech_traction_4wd_2.htm

Just to go on a tangent.....
    Anyone know when the R32 is going to be available, it looks sweet

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.