WRX vs Eclipse
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX vs Eclipse within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; A buddy and I were coming driving back from dinner Monday night when I noticed a car with HID lights ...

WRX vs Eclipse

A buddy and I were coming driving back from dinner Monday night when I noticed a car with HID lights coming up on my left rather quickly. "Here comes something" I say to him. As the car got closer I could tell it was a silver second gen Eclipse (with an unpainted body kit ) along with a front mount intercooler and exhaust. He was alone and when he pulled up beside me I could hear his B.O.V. distinctly. We both rolled down our windows and I gave him props on his car (he did the same) and we agreed to go from a roll of 30 mph. I asked him what mods were done to his car and he said "Everything." Ok, whatever that means.....

I started in second and put a car on him through second and another through third. I didnt bother putting it in 4th because there was some traffic coming up. Once we cleared the traffic we lined up again with the same result. After the second time he rolled up to me and said "Ya got me." My turn was coming so I gave him a wave and off I went.

I'm not sure what kind of Eclipse it was (GSX or GST) but it was a friendly race and a good way to test out the power of my car with the new mods.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thumbs up

Nice kill man! An Eclipse with just those mods mentioned is already a pretty quick car, grats on the rape..haha. My old car was a Talon Tsi FWD, I had some free mods done to the MAF...an intake, 2.5" Cat-back exhaust, and a boost controller set at 14psi and she pulled pretty damn hard.

A buddy with almost the same exact setup rand a 13.5 with those mods, so they're definitely no slouch.
    - Ryan
    -- 2000 GTI 1.8T
    --- APR Stock/93 Oct Chip, Custom Magnaflow 2.5" Cat-back, Forge 006 DV, Velocity CAI, Autotech SS, Exterior mods
    ---- But still quite a sleeper

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not see any difference in running a gs-t or a gs-x from a roll, as the AWD would only effect the launch.

Good kill. I took out a G1 TSI recently and it made me feel good to beat one of the better imports to ever hit the street.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

The difference would be in the drivetrain loss. Although, I'm not sure it really makes a whole lot of difference. I was never really behind the guy to see what kind it was.
    12.5@109
    11.6@125

Yeah, actually there is a noticeable difference when racing from a roll whether it was a GSX or a GS-T. The drivetrain loss is enough to keep the GSX quarter mile times about the same because the higher end on the FWD cars are faster. So the awesome launch the AWD GSX gives equals out in the end with the better high end in the GS-T.

Just my POINT oh TWO :-P
    Last edited by WRXguy3; 03-05-2003 at 03:24 PM.
    - Ryan
    -- 2000 GTI 1.8T
    --- APR Stock/93 Oct Chip, Custom Magnaflow 2.5" Cat-back, Forge 006 DV, Velocity CAI, Autotech SS, Exterior mods
    ---- But still quite a sleeper

Jim so u got the 2.2 and all?

Yeah. I'm not making the power I'd like though. I believe I was only making 280-290whp on 15psi. I think there are two reasons behind this.

1) The VF22 is flowing waaaaay out of its effeciency range. So much so that after 4 or 5 runs my TXS TMIC is hot to the touch. I'm only running 15psi because any more boost and I get knock. I'm also running 17degrees of timing at redline (crazy low). Any more and I get knock. I have a feeling that if I change to a more effiecient turbo (for my application) it would cure alot of problems.

2) The cams in the stock head arent really matched well to a larger block. What I mean by that is I don't make any more power after 6,000 rpms. Where as on my old setup my horsepower peaked at 6700-6800 rpms, i now peak at something like 6000. New heads and better cams might remedy that situation.
    12.5@109
    11.6@125

Originally posted by silverscooby
    Yeah. I'm not making the power I'd like though. I believe I was only making 280-290whp on 15psi. I think there are two reasons behind this.

1) The VF22 is flowing waaaaay out of its effeciency range. So much so that after 4 or 5 runs my TXS TMIC is hot to the touch. I'm only running 15psi because any more boost and I get knock. I'm also running 17degrees of timing at redline (crazy low). Any more and I get knock. I have a feeling that if I change to a more effiecient turbo (for my application) it would cure alot of problems.

2) The cams in the stock head arent really matched well to a larger block. What I mean by that is I don't make any more power after 6,000 rpms. Where as on my old setup my horsepower peaked at 6700-6800 rpms, i now peak at something like 6000. New heads and better cams might remedy that situation.
    That's cool man. Are cams readily available for our cars? Also, I'm surprised that the extra 200cc's exhaust the VF22. You should send it to my turbo guy and he'll hook it up. PM me if you want his info. The guy is brilliant.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

It's the extra displacement and the extra CR. I'm running 8.5:1. Couple that with the fact that this turbo has about 16,000 miles of relatively hard use on it.

I think I'm going to sit tight for awhile and save up some money then do a Garret setup with custom piping. I need something with an inlet larger than 2.5 inches after riding in Phil's car at TXS.
    12.5@109
    11.6@125

Originally posted by silverscooby
    It's the extra displacement and the extra CR. I'm running 8.5:1. Couple that with the fact that this turbo has about 16,000 miles of relatively hard use on it.

I think I'm going to sit tight for awhile and save up some money then do a Garret setup with custom piping. I need something with an inlet larger than 2.5 inches after riding in Phil's car at TXS.
    Nice! I would guess that the triangle flange on your up-pipe could be cut off and then have a square Garrett flange welded on? Is that how they're doing it or is there an up-pipe with that flange already made?

Let me know when you're going to be at the Rock. I want to see your car
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

I'm going to try and make my way down there pretty soon. I need some help tuning a Nitrous map though. I don't have a laptop (yet) and I plan on getting some 100 octane, retard the timing a bit on my 93 octane map, and spray.
    12.5@109
    11.6@125

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.