I drove in an SRT4. - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on I drove in an SRT4. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Beanboy I could care less about safety ratings. I ride a motorcycle and bicycle in an urban ...

Originally posted by Beanboy
    I could care less about safety ratings. I ride a motorcycle and bicycle in an urban environment. A Justy has more crash protection that I'm used to.

-B

same, but it's nice to have. i based part of my purchase decision around that this time.
    of course on the motorcycle, well....

i depend on my ability to avoid accidents, it's just nice to know the car can hold up.
    but i drove a neon for almost four years and never felt unsafe.
    in fact, the handling ability and my wits saved me on numerous occasions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

one cool thing i forgot to mention, is that MOPAR makes an entire line of aftermarket parts for the car, and (apparently) if installed by the dealership, will not void the warranty. pretty cool stuff.
    2002 Platinum WRX
    Mods- Lots of goodies...

"Faith, its not something that I grasp, its something that I fake, as im slipping as im falling through the cracks. Faith, without actions is a mask,as im slipping as im falling through the cracks"
    -Thrice

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    Couple that with the fact that the average age level and maturity level of the SRT-4 driver will more than likely be much lower than that of the WRX driver and you have a recipe for disaster. Not so sure cheap high HP not so safe cars are the best thing for America's most spoiled generation.

-joe
    This car will be bought by the exact same demographic as the WRX. Stop trying to find any little bad thing you can find. The safety is on par with more cars, perhaps the WRX is a little above that. Either way, the WRX and the SRT-4 are separated by what, $4000? break down the payments and people will go for either one. There are plenty of immature teens driving WRXs too. There are plenty of immature teens driving every kind of car you can think of. The price tag on this car may be attractive to the younger crowd, but no more so that the WRX is and was when it was first released.

I am not trying to find every bad thing about it. I do not think safety is a "little thing". The fact that AWD will help to save me from a larger percentage of accidents than a FWD car, and the fact that my car is strong enough to survive the said accidents if they ever were to occur goes a bit past "little". I have done nothing but praise this car for what it can do, as well as criticize it for what it cannot do and what it lacks.

I also beg to differ about the demographic that will be driving this car. The Neon is a well known teen car, and even more so a girly car. I do not think your average teen even knows what a Subaru is, granted the WRX has done a lot to change that, but on the whole, Subarus are still unknown. Agreed, a certain percentage of "boy racer" types in their upper teens and lower 20's will buy this car and think they are the business, but I think a lot more people who are not car enthusiasts will be running around in them and killing themselves. But who cares right, safety is not important, it is just one of the little things.

Price wise, you need to do some research. WRXs are going out the door for around $22-23K these days. The SRT-4 will go out the door for at least $22K. Math skills aside, that sure does not look like a $4000 differential.

Bah, feel free to respond, but I am not taking this ridiculous arguement any further, it is a waste of time for both of us I am sure.

Your just mad that a Neon is faster than your posh S4

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    I am not trying to find every bad thing about it. I do not think safety is a "little thing". The fact that AWD will help to save me from a larger percentage of accidents than a FWD car, and the fact that my car is strong enough to survive the said accidents if they ever were to occur goes a bit past "little". I have done nothing but praise this car for what it can do, as well as criticize it for what it cannot do and what it lacks.

I also beg to differ about the demographic that will be driving this car. The Neon is a well known teen car, and even more so a girly car. I do not think your average teen even knows what a Subaru is, granted the WRX has done a lot to change that, but on the whole, Subarus are still unknown. Agreed, a certain percentage of "boy racer" types in their upper teens and lower 20's will buy this car and think they are the business, but I think a lot more people who are not car enthusiasts will be running around in them and killing themselves. But who cares right, safety is not important, it is just one of the little things.

Price wise, you need to do some research. WRXs are going out the door for around $22-23K these days. The SRT-4 will go out the door for at least $22K. Math skills aside, that sure does not look like a $4000 differential.

Bah, feel free to respond, but I am not taking this ridiculous arguement any further, it is a waste of time for both of us I am sure.

Your just mad that a Neon is faster than your posh S4

-joe
    What did you drive before your WRX? Was it AWD? If you are concerned with safety, go buy a Volvo. Of course safety is important, however, take your safe WRX up to 100mph, cut the wheel and see if you are any safer than you would be in the SRT-4. Answer is nope. You will suffer the same fate. Secondly, don't even try and pull a smug attitude about math skills. I don't own a WRX, therefore I don't care to know what one goes out the door for. I am basing it on what I have heard, the WRX sitckering in the $24K range. And finally. Do you think the S4 was my first car? I have driven a Subaru, couple toyotas, acura, the audi, mustang, couple others. For you to impose that I am a snob is as rediculous as this whole SRT-4 vs WRX crap going on here. I don't even have the S4 anymore. I have been going through the most unbelievable bad time, and now my house is the next to go. So I am in no way a snob and I resent the mere suggestion of it.
    Last edited by 2001S4; 03-06-2003 at 12:43 PM.

Originally posted by 2001S4
    Of course safety is important, however, take your safe WRX up to 100mph, cut the wheel and see if you are any safer than you would be in the SRT-4. Answer is nope. You will suffer the same fate.
    Actually they do that a lot in the FIA WRC and hold up pretty well. The production WRX/STI is built in the same fashion with an extremely rigid body.

I can't speak for the SRT4/Neon though. I suspect it's not built as well since it wasn't meant to be a rally car where the extra protection is needed.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

so anyways....ummm I like the car??? I still like my wrx though

soo many bickering fights these days.?

Oh, by the way, my brother and two close friends own WRX's and they all got into weather related accidents in 2002 . Goes to show how well AWD helps to prevent accidents. Why? Because AWD means nothing when you're nearing an accident. Accidents happen in the blink of an eye. You don't have the chance to react in time. This discussion about safety is actually really funny.

Oh, and MOST WRX's MSRP at $26K, people have purchased their SRT-4's for exactly $19.9K(MSRP).
    Last edited by Shaitiger; 03-05-2003 at 11:47 PM.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX

[quote]

It's well known? Interested where you got the demographics or studies to back up your "objective" statements. I'm not saying wrong or right - but this style of "proving" a point is pretty weak. I could make "points" based on my personal experience too, but that's far from a respectable way to prove a point. E.g., when I was auto-xing, the Neon was doubtless the dominant car in it's class, and quite popular altogether (that and the Miata). Should I then assume that the Neon is a well known racer's car, and even more so a winning racer's car? No.

-joe
    Wow - where is this door at? And talk about math skills being aside! That math would make a Chicago public school teacher proud! Let's put the KBB website and some of those math skills to work for us:

2003 SRT4
    $19965 sticker (including destination)
    $00390 side airbags (only option)
    $01425 sales tax (no trade in, assuming 7% tax)
    $00250 title, plates, misc fee (estimated)

Looks about $22,030 "out the door." And that's straight retail - $0 off the sticker! New car or not, if you're paying sticker, you're shopping in the wrong place. But for argument purposes, at similar option lists...

2003 WRX sedan
    $24820 sticker (including destination)
    $00179 keyless entry (std on SRT4)
    $00395 rear spoiler (std on SRT4)
    $01778 sales tax (no trade in, assuming 7% tax)
    $00250 title, plates, misc fee (estimated)

Totals up to right around $27422 according to generally accepted math skills. So you're right; it's not a $4K difference. It's more like $5.4K!

But again that's at straight retail. So let's assume the dealers need to move those 03 WRXs fast, so they're all going for straight invoice for the WRX while the hot-commodity SRT4 is going for straight sticker. The above invoice would be $23202 plus T,T,L (in a 7% tax area) equals $25076. Still comes up as a $3K difference "out the door," with a straight invoice price (for suckers.)

Of course, this is assuming that there will be no rebate available for the SRT-4. Anyway, the point is: please back up your arguments with some semblance of empirical data. Opinions are fine, but they aren't worth jack without some backup.

And if you don't think inexperienced kids are driving WRXes, you need to hang around my dealer sometime. Makes me feel like I'm at the damn mall... (Mom! Buy me this! Dad! Buy me that!) Of course, that's just an opinion.
    Driving the whiteline nightmare!

2003 Aspen White WRX Wagon 5 speed

Originally posted by boosted 4
    Actually they do that a lot in the FIA WRC and hold up pretty well. The production WRX/STI is built in the same fashion with an extremely rigid body.

I can't speak for the SRT4/Neon though. I suspect it's not built as well since it wasn't meant to be a rally car where the extra protection is needed.
    if you think your WRX is a real rally car....you are completely insane.

Originally posted by Shaitiger
    Oh, by the way, my brother and two close friends own WRX's and they all got into weather related accidents in 2002 . Goes to show how well AWD in accidents. Why? Because AWD means nothing, accidents happen in the blink of an eye. You don't have the chance to react in time. This discussion about safety is actually really funny.

Oh, and MOST WRX's MSRP at $26K, people have purchased their SRT-4's for exactly $19.9K(MSRP).
    Same can go for every car, AWD wasnt a issue in this discussion, we are talking about the structual integrity and saftey feature (i.e side airbags, etc). If the SRT-4 had the same weather related accident and both hit a poll, I know which one I would rather be in. BTW, I find it much harder to drive a RWD car or FWD car with any respectable hp in the rain opposed to a AWD vehicle.
    BTW, I am not nagging on the SRT-4, I am a equal oportunist discriminator when it comes to vehicles, Ford, MB, BMW, GM(not so much )
    A little side note: my parents got a Canary Yellow 2001 BMW Z3 3.0i for a dealership rental and it was a piece, the transmission clunked, the "Brake", "ABS", "DSC", "Transmission", and "CE" lights all came on when I "test drove" it. So that goes to show you even a $40,000 homo-mobile can be a POS. AND this was with 534 miles on it .
    Last edited by abbo7; 03-05-2003 at 10:14 PM.
    Sold: 2002 WRX
    w/VS0 best of 13.5 at 97.5

New: 2003 Silverado

I hate to brake it to you guys but the structure of you WRX is NOTHING like the ralley cars! Both cars are deathtraps, their both COMPACTS!

Those crash rating are in the compact car category, with the stars are your cars crashing into a similar SUBCOMPACT car. If either one of your cars is hit by fullsize car or GOD FORBID a SUV you guys are TOAST! A 3 star full size car hitting head on with a 5 star compact car will desroy the compact car and the driver of the fullsize car will fair much better than the compact car!

Reread the crash site, as it thouroughly explains this.
    Last edited by rayzzz57; 03-06-2003 at 01:06 AM.

To the guy who asked about real muscle car guys buying it...

First off, would a real muscle car guy buy a Subaru?

I did.

My father and I both are looking at the SRT4. He is as old school as it gets, and I grew up with "real" muscle cars myself (fist car was a '72 340 Dart). Also had a '75 Duster than ran 11.teens on street tires through the muffs. So yeah, I consider myself a "real" muscle car guy that is looking at an SRT4

VV

Originally posted by cyrilgrey
    if you think your WRX is a real rally car....you are completely insane.
    [i]Originally posted by boosted 4

I can't speak for the SRT4/Neon though. I suspect it's not built as well since it wasn't meant to be a rally car where the extra protection is needed. [/B]
    You took what I said out of context. Re-read the above and try to come back with a better response.
    2002 WRBP WRX

Old setup = BPM GT turboback, PDE up-pipe, Unichip w/custom map, cooler plugs (NGK range 7), Walbro 255LPH FP, MBC (15 PSI), and custom built turbo utilizing the 13G housing (Internals: Hitachi compressor wheel, Mitsu 15G turbine lightly clipped).

1/4, 12.88 105.10 - 1/8, 8.09 85.96

New set up = Now w/UTEC and STI Injectors

1/4, ? - 1/8, ?

To everbody that agrees with me and disagrees with me. How about this, I could care less!!! This arguement is dumb and I am sorry I became a part of it. I said things that I believe and I said stupid things that I could care less about. It was all for the sake of a stupid arguement. I love my car and it is exactly what I wanted in a car. I am sure that everybody that buys a SRT-4 will love it as well. I have nothing more to say, its a waste of my time and I am sure it is a waste of yours.

I am being mature about his so lets not have any, "you're just saying that because you know you are wrong" comments. If we argued for 500 pages we would all still be right and wrong, and more so, all look like a bunch of a$$es.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.