where's the fly-by?

This is a discussion on where's the fly-by? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So there I was sitting in traffic minding my own business after leaving the gym tonight and what do I ...

where's the fly-by?

So there I was sitting in traffic minding my own business after leaving the gym tonight and what do I hear? A loud vibrating fart can hanging off the rear of a Ford Probe V6 who's two lanes over.

I didn't notice the guy until he lept into the intersection because a minivan beside me was blocking my view. I thought, jeez, this guy is racing me and I'm too stoooopid to notice. Aaaaargh!!!

He takes off like a rocket from the light, so naturally I chase after him, trying to set him up for a pass.

A few miles down the street, I blow past him in traffic, and I fully expected the traditional ricer fly-by.

But the guy waits, and waits, and waits some more until I get to a stop light first a few hundred yards up the road. So the other driver slows down - timing himself for a rolling launch.

The light goes green, he blows by without ever stopping, and once again, I'm chasing after the guy.

I do a steady launch into first and begin pulling the guy in. At second, I could see myself reeling the probe in going around a steep uphill corner. The guy must have been thinking what the !@#& is going on!

By third gear, I'm already beside the other guy and his fart can sound like it's about to shake apart. By fourth gear I'm just flat out leaving him, so he gives up.

Up at the next light about a mile down the road, the guy finally pulls up beside me and I just shake my head at him.

I'm sure he'll go home and tell all his buddies that he blew away some japanese station wagon tonight, but oh well. That's what car forums are for, right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: where's the fly-by?

Originally posted by drbyers

I blow past him in traffic

tisk tisk tisk

Haha nice man...sounds like HE doesn't have much to brag about...racing someone when you already have a rolling start and the other car is sitting there...then you get beat. OUCH! Lol...man too many Probe guys have nothing but a loud muffler attached to their car and think they can take a Viper.
    - Ryan
    -- 2000 GTI 1.8T
    --- APR Stock/93 Oct Chip, Custom Magnaflow 2.5" Cat-back, Forge 006 DV, Velocity CAI, Autotech SS, Exterior mods
    ---- But still quite a sleeper

does 3rd take you up to around 80-90mph, and you still needed to shift to 4th? and you did this in traffic on the street? you should let those go...

Save the gas and be more careful.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

I was doing almost 80 when I past him and doing 110 when I finally let off the gas. It started in the city, but it led out of town to the county line (i.e. the boonies).

I would have never tried that in the city. Too many cops. But I must say it was fun beating a probe, the same kind of car I sold to a friend for a down payment on my wrx.

I would have never put a fart can as horrible-sounding as his on my old probe though. jeezloweez.