got spanked by a VW...and its probly not what u think

This is a discussion on got spanked by a VW...and its probly not what u think within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i was driving on the tollway when this VW passat flies by me going about 85-90! i downshift into 4th ...

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX

got spanked by a VW...and its probly not what u think

i was driving on the tollway when this VW passat flies by me going about 85-90! i downshift into 4th to catch up to him, but then we pass through the tollway so were both going slow. when we get out of the tollbooth he floors it and i follow suit. before long i pass him up when were going around 100-110, and i finish him off (6-7 car lengths behind now) going 120. it was a good race, but how the hell can a passat keep up w/ my rex??? i was flooring it hard the whole time, yet he managed to keep up w/ me (for part of the time..hehe ) are passats turbocharged or something? it just freaked me out that a vw sedan had that much punch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well there are many versions of the Passat. There's also 4motion available on V6 versions. So basically, there's the V6 and there's the 1.8T(turbo). There are many chips available for the 1.8T, which some claim bring the output up to 222hp(or similar) at the crank. They are heavy(relatively) however.

let's think...he punches it and then you follow suit. Considering it takes nearly 3/4 of a second for your reaction time, that means he has about a second headstart. Considering you caught him and passed him at 100(which is a little over quarter-mile I assume) means you covered the same distance 1 second quicker than he did. I say all things equal(as far as launch) you'd probably spank him pretty good.
    2002 WRX Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    www.sanzones.com
    K&N Filter
    Short Shifter
    Ti knob
    More to come soon

Originally posted by masanz1
    let's think...he punches it and then you follow suit. Considering it takes nearly 3/4 of a second for your reaction time, that means he has about a second headstart. Considering you caught him and passed him at 100(which is a little over quarter-mile I assume) means you covered the same distance 1 second quicker than he did. I say all things equal(as far as launch) you'd probably spank him pretty good.
    Good point! A friend just got himself the 1.8T. Nice car...I can't wait to get my WRX and show him the mistake he made (performance speaking, of course). He really like the styling of his VW, so I can't knock him for that.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

The 1.8T in stock form kinda sucks but they have a lot of potential. Why someone would mod a heavy family sedan like the Passat is beyond me though

I owned a 92 VW Passat 16V 4 banger, you'd be suprised how well they accelerate from 80mph+ I had that thing doing 125 with pedal left and it rode smooth as ever.
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/gregfarz78

Like free MP3's? Join my club, mention clubwrx.net
    Audiophilez