350Z vs. VS2 WRX

This is a discussion on 350Z vs. VS2 WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So there I was, minding my own business… Ok, that’s a lie. I was looking to tangle. I rolled up ...

jt2

350Z vs. VS2 WRX

So there I was, minding my own business…

Ok, that’s a lie. I was looking to tangle. I rolled up to an intersection, and there’s a 350Z waiting for the light next to me, and an empty lane to my right. The V1 is silent, and there are no other cars around. The weather is clear, good visibility, conditions are perfect… why not see if he wants to play?

Looks like he does – he nods at me, and goes to watching the light like a hawk, with occasional glances to the side at me. I do a quick blip of the throttle to set the hook. The light goes green, and I do my best 2.5k quickest-launch-you-can-without-being-obvious until I can see if he’s really going for it.

He is. The Z jumps ahead at first, his wheelwell even with my front bumper. Feather the clutch back in, revs to 5k and back out. The ‘Rex bites in, and instantly, he’s back off my back bumper. Hit second, I hear a chirp off to my left as he does as well, while another carlenghth opens between us. I shift to third, and back off a bit, but he brakes hard and turns off a sidestreet. Wuss.

Nice looking car though. Anyone know what kind of 1320 numbers they’re turning stock?

JT

edit - Btw, this is an '03 sedan, Vishnu Stage 2, short shift. No other mods
    Last edited by jt2; 03-04-2003 at 10:15 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good race, I have always wanted to race one in my VS1 rex. They are putting 1/4 mile numbers from high 13's to mid 14's. Motor Trend got a 13.9, but there is probably some deviation in that.
    Sold: 2002 WRX
    w/VS0 best of 13.5 at 97.5

New: 2003 Silverado

Nice run, interesting technique though. I never considered engaging the clutch again while launching at low RPM's (I'd probably hit the rev limiter doing that). Actually I've still have not launched hard with TXS stage IV+, I havent had to yet. I usually just do a moderate launch at 2500 RPM (like you) and wait very shortly for my head to snap back into the seat.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Ive seen a seemingly stock 350Z run a very respectable 13.9 on our track.

jt2
    Originally posted by JRod
    Nice run, interesting technique though. I never considered engaging the clutch again while launching at low RPM's
    It takes quite a bit of practice to get it right - too little slip and you bog, too much and you're choking on clutch fumes.

It does work though - puts you instantly in the powerband, and is actually better for the drivetrain (outside of the clutch) as it doesn't shock load anything.

Sounds like I really didn't need to do it in this case if they're ~14sec cars. I thought they were faster than that. (not that 14sec isn't respectable, mind you).

JT

I can't wait to race a 350z. I see a few of them cuising around town. I'm going to have a big fat smile on my face the first time I get to line up next to one. Congrates you beat me to it.