Neon SE vs Audi A4 Avant vs WRX Wagon
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Neon SE vs Audi A4 Avant vs WRX Wagon within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Location: Berthoud Pass, Colorado Conditions: Changing - dry at the bottom, snow packed at the top. Me: Neon SE! OK, ...

I Support ClubWRX

Neon SE vs Audi A4 Avant vs WRX Wagon

Conditions: Changing - dry at the bottom, snow packed at the top.
    Me: Neon SE!

OK, These guys oughta be ashamed of themselves. Especially the WRX driver. My car was in the shop for some work and I had a rental Neon SE. I was going skiing. Berthoud Pass is a fairly fast but twisty mountain road, with two lanes going up and one lane coming down. There are several 180 deg turns, but they're not hairpins - maybe 50mph in the dry. About 10k feet at the base, 12,500 at the top. The road was mostly dry at the bottom, but gradually changed to fully snow packed at the top, with areas of wet pavement, slush, etc. on the way. PERFECT WRX conditions. PERFECT. Conditions where the WRX is one of the worlds fastest street cars.

At the bottom of the pass I was in a line of cars before the passing lane started. I was behind a white WRX Wagon and in front of a blue Audi A4 Avant (Avant = Wagon). We're behind three other cars. SUVs IIRC. The passing lane starts just about a mile up and continues all the way to the top. 5 or 6 miles. We get to the passing lane where it starts on probably the longest straight of the whole mountain. The three vehicles in the front pull to the right and the WRX rockets away up the mountain. The Audi is riding my butt and I pull to the right to let him by as soon as I clear the other vehicles. He passes me, but the Neon holds its ground OK.

In to the twisty parts I draw the Audi closer and as we come around a corner before the first 180 deg bend I see that we're gaining on the WRX in a BIG hurry. I get the inside lane as the Audi takes the outside, and I pick him off under braking. By now we're pretty close to the WRX. But again, once we're out of the corner, the WRX rockets away up a long steep section with very gentle bends. I have just enough ground to hold off the Audi before the road gets twistier again.

A couple of tighter turns and the WRX is in view again, approaching a slower 180 deg bend. The WRX damn near stops, and I'm beside him on the outside as we enter the corner. My momentum gets me ahead, but I can't get a gap because I have a lot further to go around the outside. As we exit the corner (a right hander) the WRX shoots by me and cuts across my bow into the following left ( ) but I'm right on his tail. He goes back to the inside for the next right, allowing me to get beside him. That gives me the inside for the following 180 deg left, and that's it. I pass him easily under braking with the Audi following me through (he must have been entertained with his front-row seat!) in the corner. Through the next series of twisties, the WRX disappears from rear-view altogether. The Audi is quicker and lurks in the rear-view for awhile, but by the time I'm over the top he's gone too.

Going down the other side I didn't have a passing lane (uphill on the other side does) but have clear sailing half way down until I get stuck behind three snow plows doing 20-25 mph. The Audi catches up pretty quickly, but the WRX was so thoroughly blown off we never did see him again.

Then I went skiing with 8 inches of fresh powder! I love those mountains.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Chris == Fujiwara Takumi

Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

OK

LONG LIVE THE NEON RENTAL
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

Red face

if everyone posted their kills in the fashion that GV27 did, noone would get pissy and yell about dangerous racing "take it to the track"

Anyway, VERY nice encounter!
    %100 angry black sedan

ah yes, the power of the rental.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

i too live in Colorado and grew up in Evergreen so i know what pass your talkn about.....thats a great pass when its clear with no traffic especially when you get to race someone up it..... so sad about the WRX.....some ppl shouldnt own and drive them...btw was it a woman driving???? LOL

Thumbs up

Good story. I was drifting the GF's WRX wagon around those 180s this weekend. There was quite a bit of gravel down.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Dizzy
    Good story. I was drifting the GF's WRX wagon around those 180s this weekend. There was quite a bit of gravel down.
    Yeah, the WRX is pretty amazing around those 180s. Set it in sideways with a little brake going in, then give it 1/2 throttle and power drift all the way around with the wheel at dead center, modulating the power for any attitude adjustment needed. Sweet.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.