Corvette...what?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Corvette...what? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So i am driving home from college today ~1.5 hour drive and havent found anyone or any car to race... ...

Talking Corvette...what?

So i am driving home from college today ~1.5 hour drive and havent found anyone or any car to race... I got a thumbs up from some high schooler in a ricey looking Saturn, but the fun came a lil later...

I see this newer red corvette conv't ahead going pretty fast... I think it was ~80MPH in a 50MPH zone. I stayed on his ass and he didnt do anything. Later at the stop light i see him looking at me in his side rearview mirror... It took several miles of driving before we met up at a stoplight... Light turns GREEN and I thought he wanted to race, maybe he was a bad driver, but I KILLED him... think i got to ~7000RPMs for the first time...he got no where near me? any thoughts? i went up to about 80 and he was WAY behind me... the 2 lane road merged into 1 and he is 2 cars back... When the road opens back into 2 lanes, i see him approaching VERY fast, probably wondering what the hell i was driving.... well i let him get right next to me cruising at 80MPH, punched the pedal and i was gone... he stayed even for a bit but i pulled ahead when nearing 100MPH. he backed off after 105MPH i kept going to 110. WHAT FUN IT WAS.... it was the typical corvette driver: older, balding, and over weight...

-Mike

Mike@roadfly.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

he wasn't racing, or he was just playing with you. C5 will absolutely murder the wrx. From the roll, even more at the top end.
    It it was a REALLY old corvette, like one of those early 80's 200hp model.. yeah you killed him.

Santa Monica Boulevard (I'm a poor student)
    I don't think that the driver was trying to race, maybe just driving like an idiot. I get the feeling this was the case

John
    South West Forum Moderator

Working for a 22B or maybe a Legacy STi...one day

yeah he was NOT racing. the vet will rock youre world lol...and they also have the z06 wich is very well disguised (spelling?) except for the small badging and the exhaust coming from the sides...

BUT I test drove a 2000 vett but it was automatic and it sucked monkey balls...that may have been you're case...but I still think the auto would wax the wrx top end.
    My Black/midnight blue wrx has the folowing mods:
    Tsudo muffler.
    Injin cold air induction
    AEM bypass valve
    17" focal f-10's with nittos

Before racing a late model Vette,a WRX should have at the very least an aftermarket full turbo back exhaust and MBC. With these mods a WRX will give a vette a run for its money for at least the first 1/4 mile. After that don't even try.
    Older vettes can be very slow. Even C4 vettes (LT1) can be slow. Many of them are not in the best shape and are getting up there in miles. A stock WRX could give one a race off the line for sure.

A stock WRX is very slow from a roll at higher speeds. I wouldn't advise racing at all on the highway in a stock WRX. At the very least get a MBC. They make a big difference.

yeah i dont think he was taking it too seriously at first... but i dont think he would go 50+ MPH over the speed limit. just for fun? but who knows ... those cars are fast, all i know is he never got infront of me... usually he would kill me at the end? it was fun though that someone can actually go faster than me tired of import cars with all looks and no power i see on the road.

-Mike

MIKE@roadfly.com

Re: Corvette...what?

Ouch. Guess I'm the atypical Corvette driver (I'm 23, have all my hair, and I don't have the dunlop disease). It either wasn't a C5 (what does 'newer model' mean?) or he wasn't trying. The launch I can believe, as there truly are bad drivers out there, but from a roll you'd of been seeing tail lights.

VV

Originally posted by MJU1983
    So i am driving home from college today ~1.5 hour drive and havent found anyone or any car to race... I got a thumbs up from some high schooler in a ricey looking Saturn, but the fun came a lil later...

I see this newer red corvette conv't ahead going pretty fast... I think it was ~80MPH in a 50MPH zone. I stayed on his ass and he didnt do anything. Later at the stop light i see him looking at me in his side rearview mirror... It took several miles of driving before we met up at a stoplight... Light turns GREEN and I thought he wanted to race, maybe he was a bad driver, but I KILLED him... think i got to ~7000RPMs for the first time...he got no where near me? any thoughts? i went up to about 80 and he was WAY behind me... the 2 lane road merged into 1 and he is 2 cars back... When the road opens back into 2 lanes, i see him approaching VERY fast, probably wondering what the hell i was driving.... well i let him get right next to me cruising at 80MPH, punched the pedal and i was gone... he stayed even for a bit but i pulled ahead when nearing 100MPH. he backed off after 105MPH i kept going to 110. WHAT FUN IT WAS.... it was the typical corvette driver: older, balding, and over weight...

-Mike

Mike@roadfly.com

I don't think he was racing. I love my WRX, but it is lacking in the top end. I still have awesome pull at 110 mph in my C5 Vette when the wrx is sucking for air. Both are great cars, but the C5 has that low end torque and top end to blow away from you at higher mph. I guess I don't fit that balding, 50 year old stereoptype. 31 and having fun with the WRX and the C5 Vette. The WRX can't be beat in the bad weather, and is an awesome daily driver

c5wrx
    Good and Bad Weather Toys:
    1999 C5 Mallett Corvette
    2002 WRX sportwagon

Re: Re: Corvette...what?

Originally posted by VetteVert
    Ouch. Guess I'm the atypical Corvette driver (I'm 23, have all my hair, and I don't have the dunlop disease). It either wasn't a C5 (what does 'newer model' mean?) or he wasn't trying. The launch I can believe, as there truly are bad drivers out there, but from a roll you'd of been seeing tail lights.

VV

you are atypical for sure... and again i dont know what he was doing... but it was fun i cannt imagine going 50 MPH over the speed limit with me and then not go ahead and keep going ... thats all. But it was fun.... o newer model means 97+ conv't.

MIKE

PS: every red corvette conv't i have seen always has an older man driving it... nothing meant in a negative way by it

I just ran with a modified corvette at the strip, needless to say hew ahnded my ass to me... got me by like 3 cars.. al i got is exhaust and a BOV.

In b/w the olsens... Nork, NuJersE (Newark, NJ)

a C5 thinks he murdered me...

So I'm at this stop sign to get onto Rt.21 (McCarter Highway), which is infamous in North NJ for being the top racing highway because of it's age, lack of ditches, relatively short length, and of course almost no one is ever on this thing (usually a 4 mile drive on this thing and I see less then 10 cars). My standard driving speed on it is 80-90, great for cold air loving turbo cars in the cold weather days considering it runs parallel to the Passiac River.

Ok back to the race:

So I'm at the stop sign being the **** who pulls up next to a C5 who's waiting to get on the Highway, I forgot to shift into first and I revved on this guy. He looked at me with a look like I'm standing in this guys living room on one knee holding his 13 year old now pregnant daughters hand like "will you marry me?" (this is funny cause I'm 20 and it's illegal). He jets smoky and the bandit style and it takes me until we merge onto trafic to catch up, I wanted to waive him down and say that I didn't want to race him. Aparently the "My bad" waive didnt translate well through the generation gap. In the 70's I'm sure he knew this waive to mean, "Hey, COrvette, please beat me like Micheal Jacksons father"

Long story not so short anymore: He takes off and I seriously have yet to see a car go this seriously fast. I wasn't even racing, I didn't try to catch up either.

Later on, I spoke to my neighbor who's a Neward P.O. and he said there's a guy in his mid 50's who got a HUGE ticket for speeding over 120 in a Z06, no jail time b/c he's a councilman.

You be the judge, I got toasted by a councilman in a Z06 without me even knowing I was racing.
    2002 Black WRX
    stock throughout-
    because my warranty says so.

- NJ isn't just a state, it's a state of mind.
    - Being from JersE makes us different from other people, it makes us better than YOU... [*HURHM* sound]

GOD BLESS AMERICA

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.