SRT4 vs. WRX vs. Talon TSi AWD - Page 5
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

This is a discussion on SRT4 vs. WRX vs. Talon TSi AWD within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; come guys.. the WRX was stock.. and yes stock for stock the SRT-4 looks to be hard to beat from ...

Cool SRT-4

come guys.. the WRX was stock.. and yes stock for stock the SRT-4 looks to be hard to beat from a roll.. but that was also an express way run. try that around town in stoplight to stoplight and it could be the other way around... guess will see when more of the country starts to get them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Lol... If all I wanted was a dragster I wouldn't have bought the WRX...

4 page thread on WRX vs. Neon and no talk of handling, braking, gas mileage, daily driveability, etc.?

If the Neon is faster in a straight line than the WRX, then good for it. But personally I'm not interested in draggin'

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

Why does the SRT not have an LSD??? The power it has on tap almost demands one ya know? I dunno much about MOPAR, but does the ACR stuff include an LSD? The ACR versions were balls-out track cars, and the lack of an LSD seems like a stupid ommision. Ditch the wing, that is just over the top.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

Daaaaaammmnnn....

But we knew the outcome from a roll, even by looking at both cars on paper. I am very impressed with the SRT-4...though I question its reliability, those gears have all the right ratios that us Rex's don't...I'm speculating that the guy in the Rex hit that 4th gear wall we all know all too well. Nonetheless, that's one quick Neon. *sigh* I guess I'll just have to put in a VS1 then

-slim
    2003 Subaru Impreza WRX (AP Stage 2)
    Midnight Black, weathered and beaten thanks to the wonderful citizens of Philadelphia, PA

2005 Honda S2000
    Silverstone Metallic Exterior, Red/Black Interior, a shifter made in heaven

Yeah, looks like that wing virus is going around. The SRT-4 isn't the only car out there with a ridiculous wing. Can someone say, WRX STi and Evo VIII . First thing off those cars would be those enormous wings. I swear you could hang some swings on those things.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

I think the SRT-4 is pretty cool. It looks okay to me... surely, its a very quick car, and stock for stock its a close race. I'd put the WRX in front in the 1/8 with the Neon edging it out in the 1/4. I still believe the WRX is a better car overall than the Neon, however the WRX is just barely outside of alot of people's price range, which should sell tons of SRT-4's...
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

I hope no one minds a slightly long post. Just wanted to answer a few of the questions.

The handling on the SRT is similar to the 1st generation ACR on the street(although not adjustable). I haven't had it on a road course yet, but I think it will be very close.

No LSD on the 1st gen ACR, and its not as much an issue on the SRT as you might think. The new transmission w/equal length half shafts cure a lot of the issues with torque steer.

Confining bucket seats is a relative item. The SRT is available with the same seats as the R/T (and side air bags)

Lack of cruise control (I would have liked it), but no cruise in 1st gen ACR (it also didn't have power windows, door locks, mirrors, remote trunk release, body side molding, or fog lights to keep the weight down)

Gas mileage by the EPA sticker is 22 city/ 30 hwy ( I get 20-24)

Daily drivability is good for a performance vehicle. 40 miles a day to work and back. Both interstate and surface streets.

Braking is excellent, although I am not a fan of ABS. Again, I haven't been able to track test it yet to see if they fade under road course conditions.

The wing is a bit much, but then again, so was the one on the GTO Judge, and the Plymouth Super Bird. Dodge says it's functional. Most things in the mirror are below the wing level.

Reliability will be a question until it's several years old. My 98 ACR has been nearly flawless since new, so I can only hope the SRT is the same.

The shift knob is cheap, the sound system is pretty good for stock, but other owners say it sucks.

A lot of this is personal opinion, some of it is specifications.

Thanks for letting me invade your forum
    03 SRT-4
    02 Saturn SL2
    98 Neon ACR
    97 MR2 X 2
    BlackCat Racing

I Cant wait too see how many recalls that srt-4 has.

I used to work at a Chrysler dealer and I cannot even count how many recalls that car had! I remember when they had to replace all the brake lines two different times! Don't get me wrong... Its a quick car but... We will have to wait and see how the reliability is!

I donít believe that the srt-4 can hold up under extreme "Younger Drivers". Im One of the "Younger Drivers" and had always owned a domestic car. Every Domestic car that I have owned, Failure starts after 30,000 miles. Does anyone know how much hp that engine is capable of? Is it maxed out already? Usually you can't do too much to a Domestic motor without going inside and changing all the internals. Our Mass Production quality is very weak! (I think) E.g. take a skyline block. Do you think a domestic straight- 6 block could pump out over 1,100 horse? I donít think so.

I donít wish on the srt-4 to break, but I donít think it can pump out another 100-horse problem free like our engines!

Originally posted by wrxsuqs
    Bahahahha WRX as usual got 0WNED

SRT-4 LIFE !!
    I picture some idiot with a mullet. "Woooooo Hooooooo! Def Leopard Rules!!!!!!!!" or "Ooooey, is that a Hemi?"

I'm surprised he was able to find his way out on to the internet.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pict0032.jpg  
    Last edited by Wrxified; 10-30-2003 at 05:53 PM.
    Almost back to stock and on the waiting list for the Prodrive Stage 3 Kit!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wrxsuqs
    [B]
    Originally posted by Wrxified
    I picture some idiot with a mullet. "Woooooo Hooooooo! Def Leopard Rules!!!!!!!!" or "Ooooey, is that a Hemi?"

I'm surprised he was able to find his way out on to the internet.

Ahh. Great response. So we see you're handing yourself awards now?
    Almost back to stock and on the waiting list for the Prodrive Stage 3 Kit!

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Wrxified
    Ahh. Great response. So we see you're handing yourself awards now?

Hehe.

SRT-4 = teh suck because it has no aluminium pedals!

It has to be said, the SRT-4 is a cool car for the money. But, comfy seats, AWD, cruise control, rally history, nicer rear wing with sweet brake-light, center sun-visor, AWD, AWD, AWD just do it for me over the SRT-4.

I think it will depend on where you live though. Where you get a ton of snow and rain is not exactly the right place to buy an SRT-4. I don't drag race. I don't mod (yet) and as far as I'm concerned the WRX is just the better all round car for me. But....you gotta hand it to Dodge, they pulled out a nice car for that kind of money.
    2010 SSM STI

I won't get into the subject of recalls, it's been covered by so many threads already it doesn't need another one. All manufacturers have recalls. Some models within brand names more than others.

As far as horsepower, Dodge will be offering a Stage 3 kit,which can be dealer installed, that will take it to over 300hp (no internal engine mods).

I'd have to do some research on an american made straight 6 at 1100hp, but I imagine it's been done. Don't forget the US has been building straight 6's for over 50 years.

WilliamG, very good point on Rally history on the REX, but the SRT is also backed by road racing and autocross history(ACR). I live in Florida, so the AWD wasn't an issue. If I still lived in Colorado, I'd be driving a REX.

And to wrxsuqs, I don't imagine ANYONE would feel safe with you driving. And get your facts right, the first HP upgrade is ECU, not mechanicals.

BTW the "clown"(wrxsuqs) is a known problem child on at least 3 other boards. I am currently working with a couple of the admins to get him banned. I apologize for his idiocy. Not all the other brand owners are like that fool.
    03 SRT-4
    02 Saturn SL2
    98 Neon ACR
    97 MR2 X 2
    BlackCat Racing

I Support ClubWRX
    Also, just to nit-pick, I like being able to control all the windows in the front AND rear by the controls to my left. I also LOVE my auto-dimming rear-view.

Plus, I just like the letters 'WRX' more than 'SRT-4'

(oh, and that wing is 'efficient?' I bet if you REMOVED it you'd get better slip times! - that thing is pointless! Think about the physics of it!)
    2010 SSM STI

I didn't say efficient, Dodge says functional, and you are probably right on the 1/4 mile times without it.
    03 SRT-4
    02 Saturn SL2
    98 Neon ACR
    97 MR2 X 2
    BlackCat Racing

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by RaptorRed
    I didn't say efficient, Dodge says functional, and you are probably right on the 1/4 mile times without it.

Haha. You're alright RaptorRed.
    Last edited by WilliamG; 03-02-2003 at 09:58 AM.
    2010 SSM STI