SRT4 vs. WRX vs. Talon TSi AWD - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on SRT4 vs. WRX vs. Talon TSi AWD within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Looks pretty accurate. A Talon with a MBC and the cheap mods usually traps at about 100 mph so that'd ...

Looks pretty accurate. A Talon with a MBC and the cheap mods usually traps at about 100 mph so that'd compare to the Neon's traps and the race we saw.

I assume the WRX in the video didn't have a boost controller. Again, that's all it would take to even things up quite a bit.

Turbo upgrades won't be all that expensive. DSM owners have been buying exhaust manifolds along with their new turbos for years because the 95-99 manifolds are much better. With 2.4 liters their choice of turbos is much nicer too - they can get a larger turbo than most 4 cyls choose because they can spin 'em up faster. Too bad there will be such a traction issue at that point.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I agree that the SRT-4 is quick but from a roll the WRX does not perform. That was at 40mph and thats nt a very good strong point for the Rex. But a race is a race so I have to congratulate the victor, sadly it was not the REX.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

Originally posted by TonyMS
    Both cars are nice and it seems that the neon is faster but when my car buying decision came down to would I want to drive a 20k dodge or a 26k subaru. Now I haven't driven the new neon apart from rentals but the are just in a different class and you can tell by the materials and finish. If they pack all that performance in there for that price they got to be taking some money out of the budget for other things. Nice video I liked it.

Tony
    I disagree Tony. I think that both the SRT-4 and the WRX are in the same class. They do have differences obviously, but I still place them in the same class. Sport Compact. Now your comment about the materials and finish, I don't know how a WRX owner could say this. This is the same argument that so many WRX owners were fighting for the last year or two. What dodge did was smart. They took a platform that they already had in production and tweaked it. It saved a TON of money over coming out with a whole new platform. Because of this, they are able to give the public a great performance car at a lower cost. And I think the interior is just as nice as the wrx's.

My computer must suck because I can only see the vid one second at a time.

The SRT-4 is putting more Torque and horse power to the ground than a stock WRX. It also weighs less and isn't pushing awd. The race was also from a roll. I would expect nothing else but a win for the SRT-4.

I would like to see a full 1/4 mile race from a dead stop. The WRX should get a substantial jump off the line with the SRT-4 coming on strong at the end. Should be a good race stock vs stock.

Just curious, what kind of 60' times are you getting on the REX (stock)?

And if you have the times available, on stock tires ?
    03 SRT-4
    02 Saturn SL2
    98 Neon ACR
    97 MR2 X 2
    BlackCat Racing

what kind of 60' times are you getting on the REX (stock)?
    People are shooting for 1.8's (great launch) and I've see many a 1.9X 60' time...

I just can't understand how the Neon is running 14.5 & 14.9 in the two mag reviews I've seen of it... just seems like it should be faster...
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

Originally posted by John M
    I assume the WRX in the video didn't have a boost controller. Again, that's all it would take to even things up quite a bit.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on that statement. A boost controller alone isn't going to make that much of a difference on the top end. I ran a 13.70 at 96mph with my AVC-R and Blitz panel filter. I was running like 16psi. Stock WRX's are trapping at 95mph.

RAPTOR ,

Is that a 14.0 at 100mph w/ a 2.2 60ft I see???? That is very impressive. How many miles did you have on the car then? Please keep us updated. Thanks and congrats on the awesome ride .
    Last edited by Shaitiger; 03-01-2003 at 04:08 PM.

Yep, those are the numbers. Milage was right around 800.

Thanks...
    03 SRT-4
    02 Saturn SL2
    98 Neon ACR
    97 MR2 X 2
    BlackCat Racing

Those numbers are a helluva lot better than what the car guys at some of our fav magazines are running, and seem to be more in line with the HP being put down... wonder why C/D could'nt run better than 14.5.
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

The launch takes some getting used to. That particular run was #9 out of 13.

My 60' times were a low of 2.175(with a passenger) and a high of 2.491

And I apologize for hijacking the thread..
    03 SRT-4
    02 Saturn SL2
    98 Neon ACR
    97 MR2 X 2
    BlackCat Racing

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok, so not to thread crap, but the WRX owner DEFINITELY changed gear too early.

When we get some more reviews, we'll know for sure. I know now for a fact that he changed gear too early. It felt like he changed gear at around 5500-6000rpm.

Anyone else think this?

Oh, and don't think I'm putting down the SRT-4. Not at all. I think for the money it's great. I'm just saying I felt like a few more races with a WRX are in order...
    2010 SSM STI

Originally posted by WilliamG
    Ok, so not to thread crap, but the WRX owner DEFINITELY changed gear too early.
    i totally agree...that car sounded quiet as hell, probably not passing 6k rpms...also, there were def. no major exhaust mods on it, because it sounded pretty stock. As much as I love the rex, I think it is pretty annoying that they now have competition from a Neon *sigh* oh well, We'll see how they like the STi

I agree with WilliamG 100%.

I need to find one in the Tampa area who would be willing to go to the track with me. I don't street race.
    03 SRT-4
    02 Saturn SL2
    98 Neon ACR
    97 MR2 X 2
    BlackCat Racing

After all this talk and looks and everything else aside, I know that one thing is for sure... these two cars are going to compete BIG TIME on the road. If you drive one car or the other, you aren't going to be able to just pass by each other without challanging! At least, that's the way I'm going to look at it

Agreed
    Dom
    03 Platinum Silver WRX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.