REAL SRT-4 dyno numbers and 1/4 mile timeslip - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on REAL SRT-4 dyno numbers and 1/4 mile timeslip within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; As would I. I just thought his comment was funny. The SRT-4 pulls higher skidpad and slalom numbers, and I'd ...

As would I. I just thought his comment was funny. The SRT-4 pulls higher skidpad and slalom numbers, and I'd bet turns faster track times...spinning understeer or not.
    I guess I wasn't specific or maybe didn't word it right. . As JROD said what I meant was AWD is much easier to control in an extreme cornering limit situation (i.e., drift). The chances of me understeering into a ditch are lot less likely in a WRX than in a FWD open differential. But yes, the stock suspension and tires are way too soft in a WRX
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Actually they didn't really cut any corners here IMO. They just went back to the way ChryCo used to do things. They took an already cheap and light car (Satellite for instance) and stuck a powerful and strong engine in it (a la RoadRunner).
    Don't forget the 1986 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo. $9k car that could do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds (which was pretty amazing for the mid 80's)
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

I wouldn't compare skidpad and slalom numbers on the SRT-4 vs the WRX stock for stock. The WRX comes with crappy tires. I'll find out what the car does in autocross next weekend. One of the locals just got his.

i don't know. i hear the srt-4 is not mod friendly. supposedly the ecu will not let you run more than stock boost. the turbine housing of the turbo is part of the exhaust manifold.

stock for stock it looks great but wait and see if it can be made faster easily or not.

I don't think that the WRX's ecu is particularly mod friendly either. That's why we have ecute's, utecs, unichips, xedes, etc. I'm sure that they will come out with similar stuff for the SRT-4. I think that they will be modified even more than the WRX.
    2002 WRX WRB

What i think is going to happen with this neon is this...young kids are going to buy them, race them a crash the crap out of 'em. I can guarantee you that there will be many a crashed neon SR-Ts in about a year.

Too bad too because its such an awesome engine!

Originally posted by platinum scooby
    interesting how motorweek could only squeeze a 14.9 max out of the car with drag radials.
    They also pointed out that track conditions sucked (cool + damp)
    -BP
    RallyCross: "Eating dirt is a basic motor skill."

The SRT-4 is marketed for those who can't buy F-bodies anymore, and the F-body at least had right foot steering.

You can make almost anything go fast in a straight line.

-Shadow
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Midnight Black Pearl
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 5MT - Dark Gray Metallic

The neon is about the worst car you could ever pick to go after potential f-body buyers. Your talking about people who are looking at buying big v8 rwd 2 door american muscle. Those are not the kind of people who are going to be looking at a funny looking 4 door sedan with a turbo in its little 2.4l engine.

The car is aimed at performance entusiast who still need some utility(i.e. place to put passengers) and low cost in their car.

many neons will be bought by performance enthusiast and will be autoxed/ dragged/ rallyx etc....(<-- there are many entusiast who own neons who do this already the srt-4 will just supply a better powerplant).

Then there will be a whole lot of ricers who buy it because its the current "in" car and they can save 5k off the wrx or rsx for a cai, exhaust, neons, bigger wings(damn those are gonna be big) altezzas etc....

And then there will be a whole lot of buyers who just buy the car leave it as it is and use it as a daily driver.

In short the market for the neon is pretty much the same as the wrx's market

These neons will be fast in far more than a straight line, if the stock suspension set up isnt enough then fitting a acr neon's supension on this car will be more than suffecient.

I really dont get what alll these arguments are about there is more to a car than its flat out performance numbers and price. Just get whatever car makes you happiest for whatever reason. As for me I dont like the car because its fwd im not saying that makes it bad my personal preferance is to not drive fwd cars, but rather awd or rwd thats all. just like my favorite colors are black and blue that doesnt make the other colors bad just not my preferance.

Sorry about the rant im bored and Im not even sure if this was the right srt thread to post this in. oh well.
    Alex

afdpl, the SRT-4 fills a market segment, albeit a similar one to the WRX. Haven't you heard the so-called muscle car parallels being made to the SRT-4.

By saying that the car will be autoxed, dragged, and rally xed, you imply that the car's handling is good. Then you go on to say you don't like FWD, and that you prefer RWD or AWD. Anyone who is performance minded shares that opinion, and for good reason. Yes, there are many good handling FWD cars out there, but RWD and AWD will always, IMHO, have a distinct advantage as far as handling prowess goes.

I'm not bashing the SRT-4. I'm just surprised that so many people only like to drive fast in a straight line. It gets boring after awhile, IMHO.

Just remember, when the SRT-4 begins to PUSH in the corners, that's the same time the WRX will PULL, away that is!

-Shadow
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Midnight Black Pearl
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 5MT - Dark Gray Metallic

Actually the only user review i have read on the srt's handling said that the car has a good amount of oversteer present and easily induced, I dont know why but thats what he claimed the owners other car is a mkiv bpu supra so its not like he doesnt know what oversteer is.

And yes maybe fwd will have a lower threshold of performance when you get your car to the edge of handling but most of us will never see that edge. There are not many wrx's out there that can out handle a integra type r or even a acr neon, yes i know those have limited slip differentials but mopar will be offering a limited slip soon enough.

And yes the though of driveing a 300whp fwd car with a open differential scares me and im sure quite a few people will be doing it unless the neon has some unseen wall in tuning. I would have to buy new front tires about every 2 weeks(yeah i have no self control)

EDIT: oh yeah yes muscle car similarities are being said by many but most of those people dont drive muscle cars. Check the f-body boards they think the neon is cute, a fwd drag car that runs 14's is pretty useless in the musclecar world.
    Last edited by afpdl; 03-02-2003 at 01:14 AM.
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.