Run-ins with CL55 AMG, mustang Cobra, Prelude, Camaro V6
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Run-ins with CL55 AMG, mustang Cobra, Prelude, Camaro V6 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Goin from westchester NY to Long island in my stock WRX with just an axleback and trunk full of luggage. ...

Run-ins with CL55 AMG, mustang Cobra, Prelude, Camaro V6

Goin from westchester NY to Long island in my stock WRX with just an axleback and trunk full of luggage.

M-B CL55 AMG

I see lights behind me which I thought were an E-class...nope...its a CL 55 AMG... he just runs away from me at highway speed...then I pass him cause he's caught behind other cars...so I slow to 60 and sit in 3rd he pulls up even with me and then we take off...he's gone...crazy mofo...he was goin way over 100 on the Hutchinson pkwy. I think if anyone is crazy enough...they can beat anyone else who is just slightly less insane...this guy was fast and crazy...

2000 Prelude and V6 Camaro

On Northern State, I run into a friend in his 2000 Prelude, we are on our cell phones and doing runs from 60. In 3rd it wasn't fair, but when we did it with me in 4th and him in 3rd it was pretty even, i was pulling slowly. Then a Camaro decides to fly up behind us so my Prelude friend moves over and i run the Camaro which i was pulling as if he was standing still from 60 and up...musta been a V6. Then we come up to a light where NSP ends. I take off and blow the doors off the Camaro, but meanwhile, I'm still on my hands-free cell with my friend in the Prelude behind traffic, and he tells me there is a Mustang trying to weave and catch up to me cause he saw how I took off from the light.

I look back and I see him pulling out of traffic to me. So I was like whatever...if I can take a Camaro, I should take a Mustang...

Mustang Cobra (brand new...few days old)

I let him pass me (in case he's 5-0) and I see the cobra on the side and the Cobra imprinted in the bumper...oh crap!

We pull up to a light on 347 and he talks to me...I knew to respect the Cobra and gave him props, he thought I was modded because of the axle-back and he said he's a stock Cobra...he actually seemed scared (or modest) thinkin I had upgrades...but I let him knowI was pretty much stock also and not to kill me too badly...

the light turned and I bogged so he took off...he didn't even spin, he said later that he'd been practicing launches. Needless to say he was gone...many many cars ahead...

The next light we catch up and I was like lets do it again, and he was like ok... this time I launch better and get my nose ahead of him for like 2 seconds. He got excited and spun his tires twice, I guess he let off and tried to ease it and spun them again (or was he spinning in 2nd, I dunno)...holy crap...then he just took that nose lead I had, flicked it away like a booger, and made it a 10 car lead for him!

We talked at the next light and he had a lot of respect for the WRX. He was telling me that with a MBC, I'd be a lot faster and able to hang and stuff...nice guy...

I guess these lessons I learned...

-let crazy mofo's go cause they're just plain crazy...unless you wanna die (if anyone knows the Hutch...this dude musta hit 120 on it cutting lanes in curves and everthing)

-don't mess with a CL55 AMG (btw, what the hell are those beasts...not an SL...not a CLK?)

-don't mess with Mustang Cobra's

-i have to learn how to launch

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

any AMG benz is rediculously quick, from the C class to the S 55, and out of our range stock. my moms boyfriend has a S55, absolutely awsome car. slk amg is the only slk i could drive and still call myself a man. those things are quick, i think most amgs are supercharged, the E is and i think the slk is also. nice races.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Originally posted by ebr0t
    any AMG benz is rediculously quick, from the C class to the S 55, and out of our range stock.
    ...especially from a 60+ roll. Choose your battles wisely, my friend.

You races brought back memories. Sounded like a fun night and your lessons were right on. There is no shortage of crazy mofos down there who have no qualms about weaving in and out of traffic at 120+. My buddies and I used to be among those schmucks in highschool. Definitely stay away.

AMG Info

FYI...The CL55 AMG is the BIG luxury two door coupe based on the big S class sedan. They are as big and heavy as you can get in a Mercedes car. CL55 AMG's have always been based on a hotted up, naturally aspirated 5.5L V8 350hp so that's probably what you were up against. However, the very new ones have a supercharger thrown on top of that V8 for good measure; think 500hp or so. I believe MB is getting ready to increase displacement to 6.5 litres because you never have enough horsepower.

I own a C32 AMG with the same supercharger set up on a 3.2 litre V6 in the small C class sedan. 349hp and a lot less weight. I ran 13.4 @ 105 stock with street tires. The SLK 32 AMG uses the same engine but weighs 200lbs lighter than the C class. It should run the quarter stock at about 13.1 0r 13.2.

I drove all the AMG cars at MB's AMG Challenge at Summit Point Raceway in W VA and took second place out of 60 drivers in the timed event. It was a blast to ring them all out on the track especially when there not your own personal car (MB provided the fleet of AMG's.)
    Last edited by Carl AMG; 02-25-2003 at 12:08 PM.
    2003 Subaru WRX Sedan 5 spd.
    Platinum Silver, TurboXS Stage 3 and lots of other goodies. See profile.

2002 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG

2005 Lotus Elise on order

Re: AMG Info

Originally posted by Carl AMG
    I drove all the AMG cars at MB's AMG Challenge at Summit Point Raceway in W VA and took second place out of 60 drivers in the timed event. It was a blast to ring them all out on the track especially when there not your own personal car (MB provided the fleet of AMG's.)
    Very nice! I guess membership has its privileges.

It wasn't free but the $850 is very cheap for a driving school using their cars. For example, the Porsche Driving Experience is the same type of program for twice as much. I was also 8 hundreth's of a second from taking first place and the prize was a free set of Michelin tires. The winner eventually got four Pilot Sport Cup tires (255/40-17) that would run you about $1,000. I won a pretty cool jacket.

BTW...the CL 65 AMG I referenced is actually a twin turbo V12 with 612 hp. My bad!
    2003 Subaru WRX Sedan 5 spd.
    Platinum Silver, TurboXS Stage 3 and lots of other goodies. See profile.

2002 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG

2005 Lotus Elise on order

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.