11.55 1/4 mile Cobra? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 11.55 1/4 mile Cobra? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; mustang has same tremec t-56 as chevy uses it is a strong trans but you will wear out fork pads ...

mustang has same tremec t-56 as chevy uses it is a strong trans but you will wear out fork pads if you rest your hand on the shifter. i have changed alot of those. rear diff problems usually come from meatheads who put big slicks on trying to run 11.55 bone stock hehe.
    Chevy's 6 speed is a Borg-Warner T56, not Tremec. I think the Tremec is stronger?
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Or is Borg/Warner the same as Tremec? You obviously know more about this if you've worked on those transmissions.
    2012 Black WRX Premium

I Support ClubWRX
    Like I said in another thread about 2003 Cobra's. Last week at the track, I saw a 2003 Cobra, with dealer plates and street tires turn a 12.543 in the 1/4 mile. He got a REALLY good launch though too. And yes it had stock exhaust and STREET TIRES. I think he just really knew how to drive the thing.

Saw a stock '03 Cobra (factory air in the tires he was heard to be proclaiming ) run a 12.9x last weekend on street tires. This is at HRP where cars traditionally run .3-.5 slower than on the mainland. !!!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

This is what Unlimited Performance recommends for running 11.99 et's in a '03 Cobra:

http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=396

1. Pulley
    2. Exhaust
    3. Chip
    4. CAI

$1199.00

Wow.

They also say that their stock test car put down 365 rwhp!!!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator

All those numbers sound about right. Like I said, some can make the car go faster than others. this car has the potential for mid 12's stock. Its just hard to learn to drive it cause of the immediate Torque response from the Supercharged V8.

As for trans and rear problems, here is what I know:

1. Never heard of many trans problems. Only a couple people have had some problems getting the trans into first gear. Its tricky and takes some getting used to. If you push the stick too far to the left its tough to get into gear. DO it gently and its easy.

2. The rear ends are fine. BUT, people modding there cars and putting down 450+ HP at the rear AND using slicks and/or DR's are breaking half-shafts and joints. I am personally sticking with a stock set up on the track. This car has too much power to just SNAP the clutch with slicks. The stock CV joints and connecting parts, although strong and beefed up on the 03, are not able to withstand that kind of torque. Eventually something will give. Thats the nature of modifying cars...

I do have a bit of a whine at 75-80 MPH. Its not that bad. Not sure I want to even mess with it. Prolly changing the oil and going with a better oil (Royal Purple or Amsoil) might get rid of it. Maybe some friction reducer.

I think we are going to see some interesting numbers start to come out of the 03 Cobra this racing season. If weather permits I might be going to the track this Saturday.

BTW: Upgrades on the rear joint and shaft assemblies are starting to emerge.

LOTS of good 03 Cobra info here:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f...php?forumid=17
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

Originally posted by 03Cobra
    All those numbers sound about right. Like I said, some can make the car go faster than others. this car has the potential for mid 12's stock. Its just hard to learn to drive it cause of the immediate Torque response from the Supercharged V8.

As for trans and rear problems, here is what I know:

1. Never heard of many trans problems. Only a couple people have had some problems getting the trans into first gear. Its tricky and takes some getting used to. If you push the stick too far to the left its tough to get into gear. DO it gently and its easy.

2. The rear ends are fine. BUT, people modding there cars and putting down 450+ HP at the rear AND using slicks and/or DR's are breaking half-shafts and joints. I am personally sticking with a stock set up on the track. This car has too much power to just SNAP the clutch with slicks. The stock CV joints and connecting parts, although strong and beefed up on the 03, are not able to withstand that kind of torque. Eventually something will give. Thats the nature of modifying cars...

I do have a bit of a whine at 75-80 MPH. Its not that bad. Not sure I want to even mess with it. Prolly changing the oil and going with a better oil (Royal Purple or Amsoil) might get rid of it. Maybe some friction reducer.

I think we are going to see some interesting numbers start to come out of the 03 Cobra this racing season. If weather permits I might be going to the track this Saturday.

BTW: Upgrades on the rear joint and shaft assemblies are starting to emerge.

LOTS of good 03 Cobra info here:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f...php?forumid=17

Good information.
    I may be looking for an 03 Cobra as soon as some used ones become available. I can't afford a brand new one.

You reading my mind again?
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator

I know, those '03 Cobras are awfully enticing! $34k for a 400 hp+ car ain't too bad!
    2012 Black WRX Premium

I got a chance to drive one & I was impressed. The only downfall that I can see is the weight.

I plan on keeping my WRX for as long as I can. I thought of getting either a Cobra or Z06 in a couple years. The plan would be to use the Scooby as the winter driver & the Cobra/Z06 as the track/fun car. I'm not a big fan of American cars, but it's hard to argue with the bang/buck ratio of the Cobra & Z06.

Thats a GREAT plan... Keep the WRX for winter and buy a ROD for the summer.

There is a HUGE difference in the 03 Cobra and 02 Z06. Drive both. The Z06 is much more of a refined sports car. I personally like the 03 Cobra looks better. I also like the power of the 03 Cobra. BUt the Z06 prolly drives MUCH nicer.

One thing to keep in mind: The 03 Cobra can EASILY and cheaply be made to CRUSH many/most cars. The Z06 is expensive right off, and VERY expensive to mod. The mods on the Z06 dont work as well as the 03 Cobra. I've seen stock Z06's beat modded ones ALL DAY LONG at the track. DR's are the best Z06 mod!

Hope you guys find a cheapy 03 Cobral. I've had mine up for sale for a while but only a few YOUNG nibbles. The more I drive the more I think I will keep.

I can't recall the specific times but I saw a new Cobra with chip, pulley, fresh air intake and drag radials run low to mid 12's at Maryland International Raceway in the fall.

The driver did complain mightly about the transmission because he said it didn't like to be shifted quickly. He had early Cobra's that shifted fine and this guy DID know how to drive.
    2003 Subaru WRX Sedan 5 spd.
    Platinum Silver, TurboXS Stage 3 and lots of other goodies. See profile.

2002 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG

2005 Lotus Elise on order

Originally posted by Carl AMG
    I can't recall the specific times but I saw a new Cobra with chip, pulley, fresh air intake and drag radials run low to mid 12's at Maryland International Raceway in the fall.

The driver did complain mightly about the transmission because he said it didn't like to be shifted quickly. He had early Cobra's that shifted fine and this guy DID know how to drive.
    Last time I ran my Cobra was at MIR. I was the only 03 Cobra there that day. Lots of Z06's.

With chip, pulley and CB I pulled a 12.2,12.1, and 12.0 @ 118 on stock F1 street tires.

Got 2 nails in the rear F1's and replaced them with Firestone Firehawk SZ50's... Not sure if I can pull a 1.89 60' with these or not... Might loose a tenth... Maybe I will see you there some time...
    03 EB Expedition
    --------------------
    SOLD!!!
    03 Cobra
    1/4 - 12.05
    MPH - 118.06
    465 RWHP
    485 RWTQ

how about the new kenne bell sc... stock fuel system on 16lbs 660rwhp... on 20lbs 697rwhp.... with just a bolt on sc...

i dont know why im still messing around with this pulley stuff
    03 Cobra Satin Silver
    kenne bell sc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12